28 days later...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member
    What sane person would believe that sweeping generalisations with nothing but personal bias could be described as anything but stereotype. "Normal, full -featured"- your language is amazing, uber-mensch nonsense.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Considering the source, is it at all surprising?
  • Reply 23 of 30
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    so which of the "features" of a "normal" person are military folks missing?

• Reply 24 of 30
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I don't like sexist portrayals of women because I know and love many women.

are you a polygamist
  • Reply 25 of 30
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

No, just the military. It takes less than that to get them going in Japan.

• Reply 26 of 30
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

"Normal, full -featured"- your language is amazing, uber-mensch nonsense.

Thanks, I feel flattered.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

First and foremost: a penis of above subnormal size.

And here's one right back at you.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

Yes, let's use a 1920 era car to drive. WHY!?!

That was a London taxi. They're rock-solid, easy to repair and built to last...short of a Humvee or big ass SUV, I can't think of a better mode of ground transportation for the post-apocalypse, zombie-filled city. Besides, there probably aren't all that many SUVs lying around East-end tower blocks.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

Erm... "killing is unnatural"

OK, now I realize that I'm a Mennonite (an Anabaptist Christian denomination that stresses love and nonviolence in everyday life), and I have a personal bias against killing of any kind, but I do not condone the usage of stereotypes as terrible as the ones used in "28 Days Later." In some respects, these stereotypes are more damaging than what the military does. Stereotypes have a way of limiting what people are and what they believe they can become.... and in that manner are very powerful.

Sure, I don't agree with what the US government is making our armed forces do, and it is a proven fact that the Armed Forces need to try very hard to remove the humanity of the 'enemy' in order to make it possible to kill them. That does not mean that we should remove the humanity of the military.

David Grossman (who wrote the book that I linked to above) has some amazing insights into the psychology of killing... he has been both in the military, and is a psychologist. Here's an excerpt from the Amazon review: "Drawing on interviews, published personal accounts and academic studies, Grossman investigates the psychology of killing in combat. Stressing that human beings have a powerful, innate resistance to the taking of life, he examines the techniques developed by the military to overcome that aversion. His provocative study focuses in particular on the Vietnam war, revealing how the American soldier was 'enabled to kill to a far greater degree than any other soldier in history.' "

I really don't want to get into an argument about pacifism, as I would rather stress that these stereotypes are WRONG and HURTFUL. They don't help our society, and they just bog down the movie.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Wow. From movie reviews to all-out flame war in 24 hours!

Sweet!!