MWNY predictions...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Panther Preview

Further G5 demo's

Mail 2.0

DVD Studio pro 2.0

Powerbook and iMac speed bumps - move to MPC7457.

iBooks nothing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 114
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Mail 2.0

??

Mail in Panther is v1.3.
  • Reply 2 of 114
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    John bites, feeling the hook enter his jaw....

Panther Preview

G5 Demos

High-end G5 to ship Aug. 1ish

eMac gets DDR, 1.25 G4s

iMac gets faster Mobo

iBooks get faster Mobo, new IBM G3

PowerBooks get faster, 15" returns

Redesigned displays

Apple Acquires Roxio, perhaps acquires Real.

These may or may not be announced at the "event" at Create/MWNY, but instead may be announced around that time frame.

John pulls out wire snips and cuts the hook out.
  • Reply 3 of 114
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

John bites, feeling the hook enter his jaw....

Panther Preview

G5 Demos

eMac gets DDR, 1.25 G4s

iMac gets faster Mobo

Redesigned displays

These may or may not be announced at the "event" at Create/MWNY, but instead may be announced around that time frame.

John pulls out wire snips and cuts the hook out.

The eMac wont get DDR 1.25's as long as the G4 tower has them. The tower would have to go or get a speed boost up beyond 1.4 Ghz. Also the iMacs would need to have a boost to 1.4 to give Apple the room to sell eMacs with 1.25's in them.
  • Reply 4 of 114
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JCG

The eMac wont get DDR 1.25's as long as the G4 tower has them. The tower would have to go or get a speed boost up beyond 1.4 Ghz. Also the iMacs would need to have a boost to 1.4 to give Apple the room to sell eMacs with 1.25's in them.

\ The towers are history - they only exist to sell OS9 bootable towers. All other Mac products that use G4s can go as high as they want since they will not match the performance of the G5.

Some time soon all Mac's must support Airport Extreme, so I expect motherboard updates that include the DDR architecture, bluetooth, and Airport Extreme, plus faster G4s. The 7447/7457 should be less expensive and faster than the 7445/55, so 1.42 and 1.25 for e/iMacs and PBs should be coming soon. All for "MWNY"? Good question. I predict PBs, and e/iMac's will follow as soon as Motorolla's production is at full speed.
  • Reply 5 of 114
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    I believe that giving PowerBooks and iMacs to the 7457 is a bit early, still, because Mot is still not anywhere near ready to ship them, and announcing 3-4 months in advance is a bit much, IMO

I too hope for further G5 demos, hopefully not price restructuring like suggested in the CH-forum, just demos and a number for current preordered units.
  • Reply 6 of 114
    http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...6/30/powermac/

Quote:

...Apple said the switch from the 1.25GHz system introduced this January was a deliberate effort to deliver a low-cost system to its professional customers and anyone else who might want to pick up an inexpensive, expandable Mac.

"It's part of our plan to hit the lowest possible price point for that configuration," said Apple vice president of hardware product marketing Greg Joswiak. ...

Quote:

..."We don't have a definite [termination] date in mind, but it's not a short-term effort," said Joswiak. "As long as people keep buying the Power Mac G4, we'll keep selling them."...

I dont think that it is a given that the G4 tower is a dead end. This article suggests that Apple is trying to reach a broader "Tower" market than they can with the G5, and that it is not a stop gap measure.
  • Reply 7 of 114
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Waaaait just one second- the G4 is the economy tower that we've been waiting for! A couple more price cuts and Apple will be out to compete with Dell!
  • Reply 8 of 114
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    They don't do speed bumps at events like this anymore. They haven't for years. When speed bumps happen, they'll just appear on Apple.com.
  • Reply 9 of 114
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

They don't do speed bumps at events like this anymore. They haven't for years. When speed bumps happen, they'll just appear on Apple.com.

Brussel is right. Unless the processor changes or some ingenious innovation is added (a la iMac), there won't be any reason to time the release to be at an expo/convention.
  • Reply 10 of 114
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

Panther Preview

G5 Demos

eMac gets DDR, 1.25 G4s

iMac gets faster Mobo

Redesigned displays

The eMac and iMac won't get DDR, because that would require a mobo redesign, and if they were going to all that trouble they'd put in a G5. They might get 1.2GHz 7457's, along with the PowerBooks.

Updated displays are the only HW possibility (along with slightly updated keyboard, mouse), and even that's unlikely.

In fact I doubt any hardware will be updated at all. Has Joswiak ever announced any hardware, other than negative announcements ("no G5 in powerbooks this year")?
  • Reply 11 of 114
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

Waaaait just one second- the G4 is the economy tower that we've been waiting for! A couple more price cuts and Apple will be out to compete with Dell!

Glad you noticed that.

JCG, well quoted. That's the one. Apple seem intent on getting affordable towers out there. Seeing as the Wintel market sells loads of them...well, way more than the iMac2/eMac limited AIOs sell...

Good news? I think it is. Apple gets to compete more in price. If they want to 'grow' then they have to compete at least in the 'ball park' of each price bracket...not necessarily be the 'cheapest' but at least 'turn up'.

Apple now work on letting single G5 Towers replace the current G4 Tower line as G5 architecture becomes more affordable and as the G5 mhz broadens. eg 0.09 970s will allow current speed grades to drop in price and allow bumps to replace the current G5 Towers. Scalability!

Where this leaves the iMac2 or eMac? Hmmm. G4 bumps for eMac to 1.3 gig? iMac speed bump to 1.3 G4 and steep price cuts? A 1 gig G4 mega cheap headless iCube? Apple have got to get their consumer line down and dirty in the sub-1K market. No doubt. And I'd like to see that iCube for sub £495. They're NOT that far away with the eMac low end. Lose the monitor. Make a stylish white iCube and you're there...

More excited about the Mac than I have been in years.

Macworld New York predictions? Oh yes. Powerbook 15 incher with upto 1.3 gig. Same for 17 incher Powerbook. Same for 12 incher. ie 1 gig to 1.3 gig.

More software..?

iSight, iChat AV demo. Demo of Panther, G5 etc.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 12 of 114
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JCG

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...6/30/powermac/

I dont think that it is a given that the G4 tower is a dead end. This article suggests that Apple is trying to reach a broader "Tower" market than they can with the G5, and that it is not a stop gap measure.

My point - e/iMac speeds and architecture will not be constrained in order to enable faster G4 Towers (and not compete with them). You stated in your original post not to expect eMac speed/arch changes since they would be bumping up against the G4 Tower. Just like the G3 iMac, Apple will keep producing G4 Towers (particularly, OS9 booting Towers), as long as they can be sold profitably.
  • Reply 13 of 114
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwdawso

My point - e/iMac speeds and architecture will not be constrained in order to enable faster G4 Towers (and not compete with them). You stated in your original post not to expect eMac speed/arch changes since they would be bumping up against the G4 Tower. Just like the G3 iMac, Apple will keep producing G4 Towers (particularly, OS9 booting Towers), as long as they can be sold profitably.

No, I said that the e-Macs wont get 1.25's untill the G4 towers get a speed boost. I agree that the e-Mac should be at 1.25 or above, and the G4 tower should have a bottom end of 1.4, or a price of $999 for a 1.25 tower. I dont see either of these happening untill Moto releases their next chip, then Apple would most likely release new PowerBooks, iBooks and iMacs before they release new e-Macs. Depending on the minimum entry point for the iMacs Apple may even let the Towers lag slightly behind the iMacs for a month or two.

And Cubist, the 17" iMac has DDR, so the work on redesigning the motherboard is done, Apple could move the iMacs to a full DDR lin-up at any time. A bigger question is will the 7457 have "true" DDR at 200 mhz? That might require some reworking, but it would also put off the need to move to the G5 for a rev cycle or two. Since this would cost considerably less than a total redsign that the G5 would take, and the chips should cost significantly less than the 970's it would be a good move for Apple to stick the 7457's in the iMac for the next two revisions.
  • Reply 14 of 114
    iMac, iBook, Powerbook speedbumps. Who care about the rest?
  • Reply 15 of 114
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I predict nothing.

Apple wants macworld NY to fail
  • Reply 16 of 114
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

The eMac and iMac won't get DDR, because that would require a mobo redesign, and if they were going to all that trouble they'd put in a G5. They might get 1.2GHz 7457's, along with the PowerBooks.

The iMac already has DDR RAM. Look at the 1GHz model.

Quote:

In fact I doubt any hardware will be updated at all. Has Joswiak ever announced any hardware, other than negative announcements ("no G5 in powerbooks this year")?

No, and I'd be surprised if he does much more than go over Apple's current lineup and recast the WWDC keynote for the creatives.

If Apple releases a relatively minor update, they'll send out press releases (and they might, leading up to MWNY, to give Joswiak something new to talk about). If they're going to do something big, they'll bring out Steve.

I don't know if Apple wants what was MWNY dead, but they certainly don't want to invest as much in it as they traditionally have, and they're probably indifferent to its fate.
  • Reply 17 of 114
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Well the G5 is pretty big. I know it isn't the first announcement , but it is the first time the General Public are likely to see it.
  • Reply 18 of 114
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    PowerBook 15"s

New Keyboard and Mouse

Exchange Client PLEASE

G5 info

Panther info

New stores/partners
  • Reply 19 of 114
    overtoastyovertoasty Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I predict nothing.

Apple wants macworld NY to fail

Sure has been a lot of cload and dagger lately ... but does this really add up to Apple intentionally destroying MWNY?

Everybody "in-the-know" kept saying it was just a big game of chicken ... alas, perhaps it wasn't just a game?

Anybody care to expound on the advantages to Apple in destroying MWNY?
  • Reply 20 of 114
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OverToasty

Anybody care to expound on the advantages to Apple in destroying MWNY?

Sure - nothing could be further from the truth. Why would they want a Mac native trade show advertising hardware products and developers applications that further push their platform to fail? Think about it!

No, Apple may want to show IDG a lesson, but they surely don't want Creative to fail. It would be shooting themselves in the foot. They just want to spend less money on them, and do a better job themselves through WWDC, private events, and the Apple retail stores.