Hacking Contest, OS X = Target #1

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-1023172.html?tag=fd_top

OS X and HP-UX systems are worth the most points...if OS X is based on unix how is it different in security, has apple made it more secure?

this should be good and fun hopefully i can find more on it afterwards...i want to know more about hacking OS X and how well peopel do it

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Apple should use this in their ads
  • Reply 2 of 12
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Ya my website is on an Xserve and I might have some problems but probably not
  • Reply 3 of 12
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

OS X and HP-UX systems are worth the most points...if OS X is based on unix how is it different in security, has apple made it more secure?

well, i'm not entirely sure about this, but i would surmise that the reasons macosx server is worth more because of its unpopularity in the server market. sure macosx is the most popular unix-like operating system, but thats more in the consumer arena (i think). evil illegal entry tools and programs to get into a mac site have to be made to take advantage of the little idiosyncracies that apple changed from other unices. a really strong and evil tool would be able to rip apart the netinfo database format, and read the passwords right out of there. different unix variants handle security a little different (and sometimes dramatically differently). so, by targetting a relatively unpopular version, you are using ur programming resources on something that, even if successful, only works on a smaller percentage of sites. aside from netinfo, i dont think apple has done too much to differentiate macosx security from other unices (but again, i aint sure about that).
  • Reply 4 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    the thing is, by default X has a lot of services turned off by default that most other oses have on by default that by definition make the OS less secure...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    CNN is reporting that no big name was hit. http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/interne...eut/index.html

Here's a quote from their article:

Quote:

Hack attacks range from outright defacement to flooding a server with data requests, knocking a site offline. In the former case, hackers replace the contents of a Web page with their own message, often a political rant written in the signature style of broken English.

Hmmm.... "All your base are belong to us" ring a bell?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I thought I heard on TechTV that the site that was supposed to be keeping score was hacked themselves?! how many points is THAT?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Hate to rain on your parade, but I believe the OSX servers where worth higher points simply because of their limited quantity, and not necessarily their security.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Hate to rain on your parade, but I believe the OSX servers where worth higher points simply because of their limited quantity, and not necessarily their security.

your correct...i didn't say otherwise...i asked if applemade it more secure...but i dont see how its any diff then unix
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Yea just finding one is half the battle
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I had no trouble on my website (Xserve)
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

I had no trouble on my website (Xserve)

about ur website...u say if ur a member u get discounted hardware...tell me more
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

about ur website...u say if ur a member u get discounted hardware...tell me more

Powerbook 12" Combo all 15" and 17" $50 off regular price and $50 worth of free (not a rebate or instalation fee memory)

Airport Extreme card - $79

Power Mac G5 - No good discounts since it is new release but they do give you a free copy of Panther (when it is released)

Power Mac G4's from $1100

17" iMac, SuperDrive, $55 discount

iBooks from $788 and free 256MB RAM

Much more, there are also 20% discounts on all O'Reilly and Peachpit press books which include Adobe, Macromedia, TechTV, New Riders, NRG, and AVID books. Discounts on MacAddict magazine, MYOB software, Itsamac web hosting and much more.

then there are those other reasons to join like the product reviews, tips and tricks (coming this month) and forum (coming this month)