What's your iTrip/iPod drive time?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm getting a couple hours, maybe, from a second generation, up to date (so says iPod Software Updater) iPod v. 1.3, with an iTrip. Anybody getting much more time than that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    this is why iTrip blows... you can't charge it while listening to music in the car \

I always have my pod plugged into the cigarette adapter in my car-so I don't know how long the battery lasts
  • Reply 2 of 20
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I get 5 hours easily. I have to travel about 160 miles monthly, and my iPod/iTrip plays the entire time, going and returning sans charging. I have the classic (5G) iPod, BTW.

Oh, and you can charge while iTrip is installed. You just rotate it out of the way. The FireWire port is just an anchor, it's not the power source for iTrip.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    millsdudemillsdude Posts: 135member
    I don't have an iTrip yet, but plan on it. How is the quality of sound?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Yea, I am getting one for my 30GB iPod when they come out. The sound quality is the same as normal FM radio, which is not the best but beats the heck out of my steering-wheel percussion system. 8)
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by gordy

The FireWire port is just an anchor, it's not the power source for iTrip.

really? then what is the powersource? does it take AAAs or something? if so, that sucks as well
  • Reply 6 of 20
    The iTrip works off the power that is supplied to the headphones. No "AAA" batteries.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

The iTrip works off the power that is supplied to the headphones. No "AAA" batteries.

well I have to admit that is very nice... beats the pants off every other FM adapter... but then again I use a tape adapter I'm never at the mercy of some 2 bit low frequency but high voltage radio station with poor taste in music
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Tape adapters are way cool. (I am using one now while I am typing this!) But my car only has a CD player and I ran out of names to label my CD-R's and numbers suck.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    thunderpoitthunderpoit Posts: 709member
    my cd player has a direct aux input on the back
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

my cd player has a direct aux input on the back

Hmmm. Come to think of it my car does have, like, plugs and an ethernet-like cable in the trunk. (I think it is for a CD changer) Oh well. I'm not tearing apart my car 'cus the 30GB iTrip will be out the 21st.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Just bought a tape adapter on the advice of a sales clerk at the Apple Store here. Looked specifically at the iTrip, here are the good points:

1) No batteries, uses power from the stereo plug.

2) You can choose *any* frequency in the FM range, not just a preset 2 or 4.

3) You choose the frequency by *using the iPod's interface*. *VERY* slick. (You download a small app to the iPod, and it controls the iTrip.)

and now the bad points:

1) The quality of sound still can't compare to a good tape adapter or direct connection.

Since my newly installed stereo has an excellent tape deck, I went for the $20 tape adapter route instead of the $35 iTrip. And the sound *is* incredible.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    $20!!!!!

You got ripped, man.

I got mine on sale for $4.99 at Fry's

Also free with CD players...

I opened mine up and it had a bunch of gears and things that made a lot of noise. They didn't do anything so I took them out. Now it looks simple (therefore not expensive) and cheap. It's amazing how a few gears can make it's perceived value skyrocket. (Much like the 9 fans in the G5) J/K
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I've had four cheap tape adapters, and they've all sucked, then died. Bought the Sony one at the Apple Store, and it's a *huge* difference.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Ahh... Yea, mine did die a almost 5 years ago. The gears locked up but I refer you to my above edited post. I've always been the kind of person to modify/fix anything that breaks. Drove my parents nuts, but I have tons of cool "free" stuff.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    I hear ya!

Like now I have to replace a speaker in my Jeep... the sound is a little *too* good.

*ahem*
  • Reply 16 of 20
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    iTrip is soo cool, I will get one when I get an iPod

Since there seems to be alot of iTrip owners in the thread, i gonna ask a question.

How far is the range? I have a fairly big house, and we have three separate music setups(it different rooms) If I had an iTrip could I just walk around my house with all the stereos to the same frequency, and have them all playing whatever I wanted on my iPod? This would kick ass for a party, I could actually *control* the music instead of people ****ing with my CD's all the time. This would sell me an iPod and an iTrip in about 50 seconds.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Range: 10-30 feet.

And yes, have a radio start playing when you enter a room would kick serious ass. Thanks for the idea! 8)
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Where do I stick an iTrip on my bike?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Um...where ever the iPod is. It is part of the iPod afterall. Come to think of it, isn't iTrip overkill for a bike?
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by gordy

Um...where ever the iPod is. It is part of the iPod afterall. Come to think of it, isn't iTrip overkill for a bike?

The iTrip isn't overkill, but the screen for the Alpine DVD player is. But I should stop watching movies as I ride to work. Today somebody "nicked" me as I crossed the at a light. I though Germans were supposed to be good at watching for bikers.