Panther and Toast (it almost works)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
If you're using Panther and still want to use Toast, open the application contents for Toast and under contents you'll find the Classic app for Toast. You can launch it under classic, obviously. It launched fine for me but wouldn't recognize my burner. I checked the system profiler under Classic and it said there was neither a burner plugged into the firewire port nor was there any firewire ports on my computer, very odd. Does someone else running Panther want to see if it works for them or if this build of Classic is a bit off in the Dev preview.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    try using it in classic from 10.2... not everyone has fw burners...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I'd be astounded if toast works in classic. It does some pretty low-level things.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I really hope that Toast is debugged for Panther soon. I use Toast pretty oftenn and I'd be pretty dissapointed if it didn't work.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Well, when Panther FINAL comes out, i expect Roxio will release either a patch or an upgrade for toast. However, I wouldn't expect one for a preview release, because it is simply not meant for production purposes. It's not an official OSX release; rather, a beta.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Yeah.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    ummm, does toast run in classic at all???(10.1, 10.2, etc)
  • Reply 7 of 14
    At my school they have toast working under pure OS 9. HOW!?!?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    ummm toast was an app before OS X... vanilla OS 9 should work like a charm-even better then X

the problem is classic (when emulated in X) not having access to things like an external burner (or an internal one... any type of hardware is an issue for classic)

other then that it theoretically should work fine...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Yeah. Well the techs at my school somehow got it work using Disc Burner Extension....
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

Yeah. Well the techs at my school somehow got it work using Disc Burner Extension....

if you are talking about OS 9 as in no X at all, then this is the way it is [probably] supposed to work (I don't know, I never used toast in 9--never had a burner until my X powerbook)
  • Reply 11 of 14
    dale soreldale sorel Posts: 186member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Well, when Panther FINAL comes out, i expect Roxio will release either a patch or an upgrade for toast.

I'm sure it's in the works as we speak 8)
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

the problem is classic (when emulated in X) not having access to things like an external burner (or an internal one... any type of hardware is an issue for classic)

other then that it theoretically should work fine...

Well, that would explain the Classic system profiler saying there was nothing connected to firewire OR usb ports. MissingMediaBurner will suffice until Panther goes GM. Although, I did find it odd that the OS 9 version of Toast was hiding in the Package Contents of the OS X app.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Well, that would explain the Classic system profiler saying there was nothing connected to firewire OR usb ports. MissingMediaBurner will suffice until Panther goes GM. Although, I did find it odd that the OS 9 version of Toast was hiding in the Package Contents of the OS X app.

thats not odd... appleworks is the same way...

lots of classic apps are hiding in the application package... in OS 9 it is seen as a folder-not an app...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I had never noticed that before. That's just flat out nifty.