New PowerBooks tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 221 of 873
    chiltonchilton Posts: 4member
    Apple should put Pen input into its PowerBook line.
  • Reply 222 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

How should I break this to you? Apple does not care if a few people who have nothing better to do with their time than complain about the PowerBook not being in an Aluminum enclosure are "desparate". They make computers as tools for people to do good things with, not for people to whine about future Apple products with.

Your missing the point. The TI PowerBook is woefully outdated at this point. It's not just the Aluminum enclosure. I'm sure they're not moving any at this point as a result so they damn well better care!
  • Reply 223 of 873
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    It has regular Airport and no bluetooth, come on, Apple is out of regular Airport, and how can the 12" be better, it can't apple will update the 15" and it will be soon
  • Reply 224 of 873
    Let's see...

The Ti PowerBook is missing the faster bus, faster memory and faster Airport connectivity, all of which the entry-level 12" PowerBook has had for 6 months now. It also lacks Firewire 800 and the backlit keyboard which the 17" PowerBook has had as well. Oh, and no built-in Bluetooth.

So yeah, I guess we have no reason to whine about it. <-- oozing sarcasm out of every pore...
  • Reply 225 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

So yeah, I guess we have no reason to whine about it.

You're more right than you know. Whining about it is a pointless waste of time. Why not just wait with anticipation? After all, the show formerly known as MWNY is next week.

When I bought my first PowerBook, I ordered a G4/500 (first generation) model - but the very next day, C|Net published an article stating that Apple was slated to upgrade the PowerBooks. I canceled the order, and re-placed it as a 667MHz. However, had that not happened right then, I certainly would not have whined about how out of date the PowerBooks were. Apple's selling them; therefore they're in-date.

And I still maintain it's best to have the last of a generation than the first.
  • Reply 226 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

You're more right than you know. Whining about it is a pointless waste of time. Why not just wait with anticipation? After all, the show formerly known as MWNY is next week.

I was waiting in anticipation for it ever since that last Ti PowerBook (1 Ghz/Superdrive) model was announced. I waited in anticipation from MWSF in January though WWDC in June. I am beyond anticipation at this point. The longer I wait the more I expect. They better have USB-2 on the new lineup if it's going to take this long.

Quote:

Apple's selling them; therefore they're in-date.

That's a funny way of seeing it. When the technology of a higher-end product falls behind that of a lower-end product I see it as being out of date, especially when the differences are so glaring.

Quote:

And I still maintain it's best to have the last of a generation than the first.

Maybe in this case that's not true as they must have been working on it for a very long time. In any event I'm not waiting for a 2nd revision. I'll but the first one as soon as it's announced. I'm using a PC laptop right now so you can imagine how anxious I am.
  • Reply 227 of 873
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    Ok, as everyone's quoting C|Net's take... (you can tell mine is real though from the cliche in the second paragraph)

Quote:

From C|Net:

Apple unveils Future of PowerBooks, iBooks

Industry in shock as Apple declares "Market filled"

Speaking to a packed MacWorld CreativePro audience, Greg Joswiak, Vice President of Hardware Product Marketing at Apple Computer announced the beleaguered computer maker was dropping all further sales of its popular PowerBook and iBook lines, after determining that there is nobody left to buy them.

"We actually sold our last iBook last week", explained Greg to a stunned audience. "We still have three others in stock, in case we made a mistake, but Mrs Miranda Sommerville, of Warsaw Drive, New Britain was the last person on our list of potential iBook buyers, and we really don't see any evidence that anyone else is planning to buy one. Sales of both our iBook and PowerBook lines have been so strong, people have simply assumed that they'll go on for ever, but in truth you can't sell the damned things to everyone."

Joswiak revealed that there are actually only 312 PowerBooks left, 207 of them the new 17" model. "There are exactly 192,012 people in the US who'd want a 17" PowerBook", he explained, "and all but 204 people have already bought one. The truth is, for everyone else, it's either too big to use as a notebook, or they wouldn't want a laptop anyway, or they wouldn't want a Mac. I mean, you just can't force people to buy stuff against their will, and one of the insanely great things Steve has done for us is tighten up our inventories, to the point that we don't make things unless we know how many people are going to buy to begin with. We have a list of the 303 people who'd still want a PowerBook, which model they'd want, and roughly when they'll be phoning in their orders or using our licenced "One Click" easy purchase system over the Internet."

Of the remaining PowerBooks, three are the obsolete Titanium 15.2" model. According to Apple's research, it's not just Apple's notepads that have hit a saturation point: Intel based laptops seem unlikely to be in demand beyond the 21st of August, at approximately lunchtime.

Joswiak revealed new machines were on the horizon to replace the revenue lost from the absense of laptops. "We have a Mac shaped like a toaster", he told an excited audience. "It actually toasts bread, thanks to an efficient heat routing system designed by Jonathan Ives, and uses four G5s, two per bread slot. It's really neat, we're the only company that does this, and it's a fully fledged computer that will not look out of place in the kitchen. We have a list of 27,384 people who will be buying this machine, and we expect to have them all sold by the 21st of December, some time in the afternoon."

Macintosh is 19 years old.

• Reply 228 of 873
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Waiting is hard to do. I don't have any reason to think that Joswiak will announce anything at MCP (didn't that used to mean male chauvinist pig?).

Apple's simply waiting for Mot to ramp up 7457 production. I'm sure everything else is ready. I'll bet the new PB15s are simply waiting for chip insertion. Probably a bunch have already been made and maybe they're already on a boat or maybe they're being stockpiled in stores. Maybe there will be a simple PR, maybe even tomorrow.

We're in Q4 and there are only 2 Macs in the Apple store's top 10 list: G5 dual is #3 and the PB12 is #5. Sure would be nice if Apple sold more PBs this quarter.

Aside from all the goodies we're hoping for, I'd also like to see a bit more battery life and a bit lower price. 8)
  • Reply 229 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Waiting is hard to do. I don't have any reason to think that Joswiak will announce anything at MCP.

It is my hope that Apple just issues a press release and updates the website that day or maybe even the day before. Joswiak can simply go over the details of the new PowerBooks along with a rehash of the PowerMac G5 during the keynote. They could also have them on the show floor along with the PowerMacs. I just don't expect him to announce them during the keynote as there is nothing that exciting about them other than the fact we have been waiting fo so long. We know what to expect from the 17" model already.
  • Reply 230 of 873
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    They'll be announced at CreativePro... Wed, 7/16

So the leak will be on AppleStore Powerbook web page Monday 7/14 in the evening PST.

Z
  • Reply 231 of 873
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaz

They'll be announced at CreativePro... Wed, 7/16

You sound awfully sure about that How do you know this?
  • Reply 232 of 873
    g5powerg5power Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peharri

Joswiak revealed new machines were on the horizon to replace the revenue lost from the absense of laptops. "We have a Mac shaped like a toaster", he told an excited audience. "It actually toasts bread, thanks to an efficient heat routing system designed by Jonathan Ives, and uses four G5s, two per bread slot."

the dual 2GHz does look a bit like a toaster. don't think that will be in a laptop...

• Reply 233 of 873
    chazmoxchazmox Posts: 39member
    Good point with that pic... those heat sinks are huge... and people are saying they'll put that in a laptop.

As I've said before... IBM must have come in alot higher on the power consumption than previously thought.

Apple didn't put 9 fans and big heat sinks in as a neat selling feature... Fans and heat sinks don't sell computers.
  • Reply 234 of 873
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    While it is true about a 2.0GHz G5, the 1.2 at 1.1v consumes a skinny 19w. Now THAT could be incorporated into a PowerBook. I just don't think that the rest of the mobo is ready.
  • Reply 235 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by chazmox

Apple didn't put 9 fans and big heat sinks in as a neat selling feature... Fans and heat sinks don't sell computers.

apple think quietness will sell computers. large heat sinks for the powermacs and lots of low speed fans = whisper quiet.

the pic was a comment about the toaster pun. but as Rhumgod said above, there is a big difference in heat between a 92W dual 2.0 and a 19W single 1.2. to me the single 1.2 G5 seems similar in heat to the present 1Ghz G4.

apart from the potential heat argument, i haven't heard of any other reasons why apple couldn't put a G5 into a powerbook sooner rather than later. why is it that people are forecasting the G5 powerbook for 2004 rather than now?
  • Reply 236 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by chazmox

apple think quietness will sell computers. large heat sinks for the powermacs and lots of low speed fans = whisper quiet.

the pic was a comment about the toaster pun. but as Rhumgod said above, there is a big difference in heat between a 92W dual 2.0 and a 19W single 1.2. to me the single 1.2 G5 seems similar in heat to the present 1Ghz G4.

apart from the potential heat argument, i haven't heard of any other reasons why apple couldn't put a G5 into a powerbook sooner rather than later. why is it that people are forecasting the G5 powerbook for 2004 rather than now?
  • Reply 237 of 873
    averageaverage Posts: 4member
    I think that a burt hand or a small fire is a fair price to pay for a G5 powerbook now.

They could package it with a iSafety kit with fire extingusher and ice pack
  • Reply 238 of 873
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    OMFG that is funnay.
  • Reply 239 of 873
    omekomek Posts: 43member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G5power

Indeed... I've been asking that question a lot lately too...\
  • Reply 240 of 873
    flyhigherflyhigher Posts: 35member
    Combo drive 15" powerbook is now shipping same-day. Oh, the torture.