Panther APIs: Anything new?

jbljbl
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
There has been a lot on these boards about changes to the GUI but I haven't seen much on changes to the APIs. Anything interesting?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    bump

There is some discussion in the Software forum about TextEdit in Panther being able to save .doc files. This suggests that NSText now knows about .doc format. Can someone confirm this?

And while I am at it... any other interesting news for us "Online" developers?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

There is some discussion in the Software forum about TextEdit in Panther being able to save .doc files. This suggests that NSText now knows about .doc format. Can someone confirm this?

Check out Brad's post of TextEdit images about halfway down page 3 of the "sticky" Panther request thread. It seems Brad created (or saved) a .doc file without any problem.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Thanks! Actually I saw that too. What I was really interested in was whether NSText (the class in Apple's Cocoa framework) now supports .doc. TextEdit has always been a straight forward demonstration of the text handling capacity of Cocoa. If that is still true, it means that NSText now recognizes .doc files, and if that is true all applications that use Cocoa's text classes should be able to write .doc files with little or no modification. Of course Apple could have built this capacity into TextEdit without building it into Cocoa. What I was wondering is if anyone with access to the new Cocoa APIs could confirm that this was actually part of Cocoa.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    philrobinphilrobin Posts: 62member
    XCode does not contain the updated documentation... So it is not easy to see unless you have a look at the .h files.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I guess that explains why no one is talking about this stuff. Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    There other reason is that it is covered by NDA
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Aren't the screenshots that are all over the web also under NDA?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yes, but... all the developers who are signed up with ADC are under NDA of one form of another.

Those who are not under NDA are likely not to be serious developers.

Those who are not serious developers are not likely to grok the differences in APIs from casual inspection.

Therefore: Very few people who *could* answer your question *will* answer your question.

Anyone can post screenshots, regardless of developer expertise.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    There is a new palette in the extra folder that allows you to make an address book search window a la mail, ichat...
  • Reply 10 of 12
    lfroglfrog Posts: 16member
    Since I do not have my copy I guess I can repeat what I have seen in other posts and screenshots.

There appears to be new objects in IB call something like connectors. Apparently they perform the function of the controller for you in some manner, so you do not have to write as much code. It handles the getting, setting, etc. There have been hints to it, but not much more. Also, people are being coy about EOF in ObjC. It was noted that Apple hired someone specifically for EOF in ObjC.

Beyond that, I cannot really remember that much at this time.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lfrog

Since I do not have my copy I guess I can repeat what I have seen in other posts and screenshots.

There appears to be new objects in IB call something like connectors. Apparently they perform the function of the controller for you in some manner, so you do not have to write as much code.

One step closer to Hypercard! (And, it has to be said, Visual Basic...).

Quote:

Also, people are being coy about EOF in ObjC. It was noted that Apple hired someone specifically for EOF in ObjC.

The NeXTies will think they've died and gone to heaven if that happens. I know they've been clamoring for it since Rhapsody.

Next you'll tell us that Apple has finally fixed their installer. That'll send Scott Anguish into Nirvana.

At that point, all Apple has to do is release Yellow Box, and NeXT developers will be dancing in the streets. Naked!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ew.

Much as I love some of my fellow Cocoaphiles, I really don't need to see mmalcom naked.