Bijani twins die after operation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
They were brave in wanting to live normal lives.

Their dream to live independently has come to an end.

Raffles Hospital spokesman said that as a result of massive blood loss the twins lost their fight for survival.

I admired their courage knowing as they did just how risky the procedure would be.

Rest in Peace

http:www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s897722.htm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    I just heard about that. It's really too bad...although I'm sure they were prepared for that possibility. But they lasted till the 3rd day of the surgery. Those doctors are something as well. Still, I wish they could've made it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    For some reason I never really expected them to die in the operation...so sad.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    Ya...the thought of either one of them dieing never even crossed my mind. This is really too bad.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    funny, may just be that I am pessimistic, but I never expected them to live... that is a crazy operation... \

3DAYS in surgery?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

funny, may just be that I am pessimistic, but I never expected them to live... that is a crazy operation... \

3DAYS in surgery?

No kidding, their brains were fused together after so many years. In fact, they shared a huge finger diameter vein which was the source of most of the complications of the surgery.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    longhornlonghorn Posts: 147member
    i know the doctors said they weren't expecting the actual brain to be fused.

i wonder if that's the difference between doing this surgery on children vs. adults. in children maybe the two brains are touching but still can be seperated. however, you go into the adult brains and they've joined. they'd still look the same on CAT scans or X-rays, but be a totally different ball-game when you try to seperate them.

i didn't expect both to live, i thought they'd lose one for sure.