Is it possible to turn a PC iPod into a Mac iPod?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With a firmware update perhaps?

Or is this totally impossible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Quote:

Originally posted by elizaeffect

With a firmware update perhaps?

Or is this totally impossible?

Quite possible:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...num=60920#faq7

A windows formatted iPod will work with a Mac, albeit slower than normal, but not the opposite way around.

However, if you restore it to work with a Mac it will work just dandy (on the Mac, that is).
  • Reply 2 of 12
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    ASAIK the same NEW iPod will work with both since it has the firmware for both, but it will only recognize the playlist from the last one with which it synched.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    So I could actually reformat the iPod and it would work as if it were a Mac iPod out of the box?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

So I could actually reformat the iPod and it would work as if it were a Mac iPod out of the box?

Sorry elisaeffect. I was talking about the latest gen3 iPod. If you meant a gen2 Windows iPod and turning it into a Mac iPod, I'm sure its possible, but I don't know if the above is all you have to do.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Yes.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    hehee I remember a friend of mine, got an iPod(10 gig, before the windows versions were released)

he's a PC guy, and he had a lot of trouble getting it to work right on his computer, it was always more hassle than it was worth.

finally he got pretty fed up, then talked to his dad about it(who had also got one) and then they realised that they could just change the firmware...so they made themselves PC iPods and haven't had a problem since. About a week after they made their PC iPods, apple released the PC versions.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Yeah, it's not the new one. It's an older 20giger.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Download this updater (v. 1.3) to the Mac. Launch it, then plugin the iPod. You'll want to choose Restore which will erase it and return it to factory settings.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Is there any way to change a 2nd Gen iPod for mac into a Windows compatable version? \
  • Reply 10 of 12
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Is there any way to change a 2nd Gen iPod for mac into a Windows compatable version? \

Yes, but I'm unsure offhand how. Go the forums at www.ipodlounge.com and search--I used the word "conversion,"
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

I would try using Disk Utility to format it for Windows FAT16/32 whatever. Then plug it into a PC and see if it recognizes it so you can 'restore' it.

Might work.... *shrug*
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Ok thanks for the pointers you two.