Tevanian Named Chief Software Technology Officer At Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Avie Tevanian Named Chief Software Technology Officer of Apple (sorry for the misspelling in thread title)

Tuesday July 8, 4:30 pm ET

Bertrand Serlet Promoted to Senior Vice President of Software Engineering

CUPERTINO, Calif., July 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple® (Nasdaq: AAPL - News) today announced that Avadis "Avie" Tevanian Jr., Ph.D., will become the company's chief software technology officer and Bertrand Serlet will be promoted to senior vice president of Software Engineering. In his new role, Tevanian will focus on setting company-wide software technology directions, and Serlet will now report directly to Apple CEO Steve Jobs and lead the company's OS Software Engineering group.

"This will be a seamless handoff," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Panther, the next major release of Mac OS X, is in great shape and everything is on track to ship it later this year, making this a good time to let Avie return to a more hands-on technical role and to promote Bertrand to lead our entire OS software engineering team."

"This is something I've wanted to do for some time," said Avie Tevanian, Apple's newly appointed chief software technology officer. "I'm incredibly proud of the products the software engineering team has delivered over the past few years, and I am 100% confident that their success will continue under Bertrand's leadership."

Serlet has been Apple's vice president of Platform Technology, managing the largest part of the Mac® OS software engineering group. He joined Apple in 1997 and has been a key player in the definition, development and creation of Mac OS X. Before joining Apple, Serlet spent four years at Xerox PARC, then joined NeXT in 1989. Serlet holds a doctorate in Computer Science from the University of Orsay, France.

Tevanian joined Apple in February of 1997 as senior vice president of Software Engineering, and holds a Ph.D. and a Masters of Science degree in computer science from Carnegie Mellon University and a Bachelor of Arts degree in mathematics from the University of Rochester.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    ...and your thoughts?

So I guess Avie will have amore hands-on role now, probably something he prefers. I wonder what the new roles really entail though? The difference between "software technology" and "software engineering" seems hazy to me. Seems like they're making room for Serlet at thet op as much as anything else.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Sounds like a demotion.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Sounds like a demotion.

This is just a less dramatic version of Bill Gates' move from CEO to "Chief Software Architect."

Basically, it's a formality...a cushy position that doesn't require you to do anything at all. The only thing different now than before is he'll have less bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo to waste his time with.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Sounds to me as though he's been given the task of plotting the overall software strategy for Apple. Given the recent acquisitions and thrust into the audio and video markets, it was probably necessary to have someone looking at how everything - The OS, iApps and ProApps - fits together.

Of course, I'm really hoping this is just a smokescreen to allow Avie to take charge of the AppleOffice division and get it out ASAP.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Seems fairly straightfoward. Someone to keep their eyes on the "forest" not just the trees.

This is good for Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Moving to General Discussion.