Apple's iTMS Gets Soundtrack Exclusive

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has received the exclusive US rights to distribute the soundtrack to 20th Century Fox's "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," which opens this Friday starring Sean Connery. Apple is selling the album for US$9.99 on the iTunes Music Store, with no physical CDs being made for the US market, according to c|net. The soundtrack includes a score by composer Trevor Jones and features performances by the London Symphony Orchestra and two new tracks from the renowned Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Good for the store, bad for music. I'd like to see the 'album' live on.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Well, it's mostly an instrumental CD... not full of tracks by the latest bands. Sales would be marginal at best.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    medialabmedialab Posts: 19member
    It bothers me that they are adding so little new content to the store that this "exclusive" qualifies as news. There should twenty times this much new activity. When the store launched with 200,000 titles it didn't seem like a problem because I figured we'd see the store blossom before our eyes. I originally assumed there'd be 500,000 titles by the end of the year. Now I doubt there will be 250,000.

Where is the independent stuff? Where is Radiohead? Where is Brian Eno? Where is Gillian Welch? Don't try to get me excited about Ella Fitzgerald -- that feels like some record company exec trying to hose me one more time....
  • Reply 4 of 14
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by medialab

It bothers me that they are adding so little new content to the store that this "exclusive" qualifies as news. There should twenty times this much new activity. When the store launched with 200,000 titles it didn't seem like a problem because I figured we'd see the store blossom before our eyes. I originally assumed there'd be 500,000 titles by the end of the year. Now I doubt there will be 250,000.

Where is the independent stuff? Where is Radiohead? Where is Brian Eno? Where is Gillian Welch? Don't try to get me excited about Ella Fitzgerald -- that feels like some record company exec trying to hose me one more time....

dude. calm down. it's been what... two months?

there's likely nearly 250,000 tracks there now.

not blossoming? 5 million tracks sold in eight weeks is something bad? when the original projection was 1 mil the first month and then a drop off?

radiohead? brian eno? they're most likely just being dickheads like metallica, rhcp, et al.

independents? coming in september/october. trust me on that.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    bspathbspath Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Visit the iTMS. Click the "Just Added" button. See around 150 titles added last week. Chill.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Color me Luddite.

I want something to hold in my hand.

Hey now, watch it!

We'll be having none of THOSE kinds of comments.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    bspath,

There are plenty of new tracks available each week. So you are not satisfied. Then go to a store and buy your favorite artists.... your needs in music seem to be limited so you should have no problems. Oh, yes, Radiohead and their ilk will never contribute as much to our musical heritage as Ella. Yup, you are a d........

Cheers.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

bspath,

There are plenty of new tracks available each week. So you are not satisfied. Then go to a store and buy your favorite artists.... your needs in music seem to be limited so you should have no problems. Oh, yes, Radiohead and their ilk will never contribute as much to our musical heritage as Ella. Yup, you are a d........

Cheers.

his complaint is valid..... stop being an arrogant d......

Cheers.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

bspath,

Cheers.

Hey, if you're going to go after someone, at least get their name right.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

dude. calm down. it's been what... two months?

And Apple isn't announcing all the back catalog stuff they're adding. You might not care about Ella Fitzgerald, but there's a whole slew of out of print titles from Nonesuch and Atlantic and Columbia (among many others) that I'll be excited to see.

Ask Radiohead why their songs aren't on iTMS.

Quote:

independents? coming in september/october. trust me on that.

Yup. Not just independent labels, either. Independent artists. 8)

The landscape is changing.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Hey, if you're going to go after someone, at least get their name right.

Sorry 'bout that. I did edit it to say medialab, but I forgot to press submit reply. Sorry.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Where is the independent stuff?

Dashboard Confessional's new single was added today. Hoping to see more from them soon.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Dido - White Flag - just added as Exclusive track.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    theflythefly Posts: 72member
    I wrote an editorial on my site (which you can read here ) which is a call for everyone who has access to the iTMS to purchase the album of the exclusive soundtrack.

When you have bands out there saying they won't allow their songs on the iTMS because they don't want to allow single track downloads, the success of this soundtrack could be a wake-up call to others in the industry.

Imagine the press reports if Apple ends up selling a million copies of the album (heck, that'd be what 17 million songs).

theFly

www.flyonthemac.com

Rumors You Can Bet On