I'm a switcher

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yesterday I purchased my first Mac (an eMac). I have to say I am very happy with my decision to switch. I have been lurking around this board for quite sometime trying to learn as much as possible and make sure this was the right move for me. Well, I'm glad to say it was.

PEACE.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    Well congrats! Hope your new Mac runs smoothly for many years. And come back here if you have any problems or questions. Most of the people here have been very helpful whenever I have had questions.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Welcome one and all. Hopefully we can smooth out your learning curve a bit and help make your computing experience fun and productive.

Or at least indirectly help Apple's market share....

Peace.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, no one here really bites, at least not outside of AppleOutsider.

any questions/comments are welcome.

• Reply 4 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    welcome man this is the good life (buy more ram) so as long as you feel free to ask questions (buy more ram for os x) and not be afraid they are stupid questions (buy more ram for os x it runs better) then you'll be good

...i might say to have 512MB of ram or more if you plan on pushing your mac...128-256 is good for average use of email, internet word processing and some games

seriously though good luck and have fun, you'll enjoy yourself alot more once you get used to good mac habits and away from bad PC ones

one more question...how is the mouse sensing, i know some switchers complain about the mouse not being linear tracking...that is until they get used to it
  • Reply 5 of 13
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Thanks for the advise. Yeah, I'm definitely gonna step up to a gig of ram by x-mas. Kinda stupid they only throw in 128mb for the combo-drive eMac. So far, I am having absolutely no problems figuring things out (I did use the G4 Tower a bit in college). I do have one slight problem though. I am trying to update to 10.2.6 and it says there isn't enough room on the hard drive, which is obviously wrong. How do I solve this issue? Thanks in advance.

Peace.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Hmm... bizarro. try restarting maybe? You are running what, 10.2.5?

Macs rule. I know you'll love your mac as much as I love mine.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

I am trying to update to 10.2.6 and it says there isn't enough room on the hard drive, which is obviously wrong. How do I solve this issue? Thanks in advance.

Oftentimes, this is caused by the fact that you try to apply an update to a system that is not fit for the update (meaning: another update should be installed first). Or it could mean something else. As someone else asked: what system are you on right now? Are you sure you HD isn't full?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Im running 10.2.4 right now. I have about 50 gb of space and the file is approx 12 mb. Should I try getting .5 first? Thanks again.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    If you are running 10.2.4 and you want to install 10.2.6 you will either have to download and install 10.2.5 first, or you can skip 10.2.5 and download & install the 10.2.6 combo updater
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Ok sounds good. But, what is the difference between 10.2.6 and 10.2.6 combo? If I want to download iTunes 4, does it come in 10.2.6 or do I download it separate? It's sweet downloading 86mb over a dial-up. I got the one month Earthlink trial to buy me time till I can set up Sympatico

PS. Where is Rendevous??

(Sorry for all the questions, but I am new)

PEACE.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    The 10.2.6 download is if you're upgrading from 10.2.5. Combo updaters typically allow you to upgrade from a point upgrade 2 or more revs back.

iTunes 4 is a separate download.

Rendezvous is available in iChat under the window menu, if you have a printer that support rendezvous then it'd be in print center as well I believe.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Thanks for your help. It's all coming together now!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

Thanks for your help. It's all coming together now!

once you get thigns sorted out you'll love it...haha if you could keep us up to date on feeling thigns you notice that are better, things you notice that are worse, i'd love to be able to follow along the path of a switcher