New Imacs soon? (Before Macworld)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
We've seen reved up models of almost all of the hardware around except for the imac and the power mac. Personally i'd expect a new encloser for the power mac which would imply macworld. As for the imac would they introduce it now, so it doesn't steal the spotlight from the powermac and not worry about the speeds of the imac catching up with that of the powermac? or will they wait and update both at the same time?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    'pends if it's a big bump or a little bump

If it's a little bump could be at the end of the keynote. If not it might merit a day in the sun all to itself.

Course it's all blind speculation.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    detahdetah Posts: 57member
    because macs are widely considered toys, apple releases their new toys/computers at big 'shows'.

clearly, apple doesn't have enough faith in their customers or products to release them prior to a show.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Most likely an update would probably be done at Macworld. Since the iMac is aimed at consumers, they'll want to get as much exposure to consumers as possible. In my opinion, this would be best achieved at Macworld rather than at another time.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    [quote]clearly, apple doesn't have enough faith in their customers or products to release them prior to a show. <hr></blockquote>

I guess that explains why Apple updated every machine other than the iMac outside of a major show, right?

Good God Almighty-- trolls used to put at least a little effort into their work...

On topic: The iMac wasn't widely available until around March. Apple likes to give their machines a good six month (or so) run, so I don't think we'll see an updated iMac until September or so.

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: Gamblor ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 50
    Well he only has 26 post so he is a junior troll
  • Reply 6 of 50
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    I definitely wouldn't bet on a new iMac all that soon. As a previous poster stated, the iMac only really ramped up around March, so it's better to think about the machine as a March introduction rather than January when it was announced. There's a good amount of iMac stock out there right now. Therefore, an August revision may make sense, unless Apple has something significant planned. (That's quite doubtful. . .)

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: Big Mac ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 50
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Even more importantly, the iMac can only be upgraded if the speedbump on the PowerMacs allows it to grow, without competing the PowerMac line again. ie a bumps by 100 and 200Mhz to 800 and 1000 could only be done, if the PowerMac got at least the same 100/200 bumping.

And since that's likely not going to happen before MWNY, I'd say no iMac bump before MWNY.

Just guessing,

G-News
  • Reply 8 of 50
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    I hear appleturns saying that demand for the iMac is kind of falling instead of getting bigger. I guess it does have something to do with the low mhz/spec of the system as percieved by PC users thinking about a "switch".
  • Reply 9 of 50
    My money is on an update for school shopping season. The only way I see an update at MacWorld is if they give it a larger monitor but I highly doubt that sence they already jacked prices due to the cost of the LCD`s now.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The LCD cost increase has prooved to be a fallacy, or at best a very short lived phenomena, as has RAM.

I am both troubled and buoyed by the intro of the eMac for consumers. They have used a low price config, which is good. But does that mean that iMac prices will creep upward or that, at least on the higher models, prices may drop back to their pre-bump levels, with more room on top for an iMacSE.

The eternal optimist in me says that Apple will price the machines back to their original prices, sometime later drop the eMac to the magical 999 level, drop the iMacG3 to 699-799 (though it should be 499 in it's current config). Now factor in the falling cost of drives (particularly the superdrive) and you have about $200 to play with on the top end before you hit the 2000 ceiling. I'd look for an iMac SE with the same spec as the again, (hopefully) 1799 (maybe 1749, dreaming) superdrive iMac, but with the addition of a 17" LCD display.

FP iMac 15" Superdrive model $1749/1799.

FP iMacSE 17" Superdrive Model $1999.

Granted this moves the iMac deep into mid PowerMac territory. But the iMac would do so with features (the 17" display) while hopefully the PowerMac will do it with power and expandibility (uberG4/G5, true DDR bus, PCI/AGP expansion, dual display support)

I think they could do a 17" SE model, and provided it stayed around 2000USD, people would buy it.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    vr6vr6 Posts: 77member
    Regrettably, the new iMac faces the same risks that the cube did in that it's high price puts it out of consideration versus other alternatives.

The big price driver here is the LCD screen as is evidenced by the much lower cost of the eMac.

I love the new iMac, and I really want to be able to burn my own DVDs, but the iMac makes you buy a flat panel display to get at the DVD burning capabilities. All this really ends up doing (at least in my case) is it makes me wait a year or so until the price eventually comes down or they release an eMac with a superdrive at a lower price. This hurts Apple's present earnings.

I'm not threatening to leave the apple platform, I'm not even considering it at all, but I'm upgrading far less frequently because of price.

My actual point here is that slapping a larger (and more expensive) LCD on the iMac will not be a successful move for Apple in the consumer desktop market. I actually believe that putting a superdrive in an eMac would be far more successful.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    If Apple releases new PowerMacs soon, then we might be getting iMacs with reasonable specs.

PM 2002

1/1.2/dual 1.2 GHz

iMac 2002

.933/1 GHz
  • Reply 13 of 50
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Putting iMac options into the eMac would all but guarantee a re-targeting of the iMac intot he former cube space.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    "I hear appleturns saying that demand for the iMac is kind of falling instead of getting bigger. I guess it does have something to do with the low mhz/spec of the system as percieved by PC users thinking about a "switch"."

I swear to the almighty...I'm not saying a word.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 15 of 50
    "I'm not threatening to leave the apple platform, I'm not even considering it at all, but I'm upgrading far less frequently because of price."

Sniff.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 16 of 50
    "The eternal optimist in me says that Apple will price the machines back to their original prices, sometime later drop the eMac to the magical 999 level, drop the iMacG3 to 699-799 (though it should be 499 in it's current config). Now factor in the falling cost of drives (particularly the superdrive) and you have about $200 to play with on the top end before you hit the 2000 ceiling. I'd look for an iMac SE with the same spec as the again, (hopefully) 1799 (maybe 1749, dreaming) superdrive iMac, but with the addition of a 17" LCD display."

Incisive as ever.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 17 of 50
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Get a life
  • Reply 18 of 50
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    it's debateable if iMac sales are really falling. One analyst says they are on target for this quarter another says there's alot in inventory so they aren't selling. Say what? Damned if you do damned if you don't. Apple is getting enough product ready for the back-to-school selling season in a few months. Inventory levels are now high enough to ensure there will be no shortages. This is the slowest period historically for computer sales - the calm before the storm, so to speak. Knee jerk reaction all around I'm afraid with nothing to prove it. Apple said they are meeting estimates for this quarter and will make their predictions. And the beat goes on.

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 50
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Looks like Lemon Bon Bon is the next EmAn, trying to shoot up his/her post count with as many useless posts as possible...

But there's no replacing EmAn.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    [quote]Originally posted by detah:

<strong>because macs are widely considered toys, apple releases their new toys/computers at big 'shows'.

clearly, apple doesn't have enough faith in their customers or products to release them prior to a show.</strong><hr></blockquote>

MacWorld is basically a large advertising campaign for Apple, so releasing big news at their trade shows is common sense. It has nothing to do with Faith in their customers, it has to do with exposure, budgets, and marketing. If they didnt use MacWorlds for this, then we would be lucky if we saw Apple sponsering these events...