PowerMac G5 sales

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hmmm, haven't heard any statement from Apple about pre-order sales. Do you think they're below expecation?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PURE

hmmm, haven't heard any statement from Apple about pre-order sales. Do you think they're below expecation?

No statement needed. store.apple.com check number 3 on the Best Seller list
  • Reply 2 of 24
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    hehe...

Top Sellers

1. iSight

2. iPod

3. Power Mac G5 Dual 2 GHz

4. Belkin TuneCast

which one of these is not like the others? which one of these just doesn't belong?

Hint: only one of these costs over $500
  • Reply 3 of 24
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    "It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood......"
  • Reply 4 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I hope that Apple sells a meager number of G5 units so the fsking price will drop.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    What are you smoking?

G5's for the same price G4's were selling for a year ago. How far do you want them to drop?

They aren't going to be able to build them fast enough.

Guess you'll be waiting for the G5 iMac...hehe
  • Reply 6 of 24
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

hehe...

Top Sellers

1. iSight

2. iPod

3. Power Mac G5 Dual 2 GHz

4. Belkin TuneCast

which one of these is not like the others? which one of these just doesn't belong?

Hint: only one of these costs over $500

well, you can sort of figure out sales numbers from that a bit can't ya?

What is a good preorder amount of sales for a PowerMac G5? 75,000? 50,000? Do you really think that they have sold over that many iSights? I don't think so.

That sales list seems suspicious to me. Especially considering the iPod should be the highest seller id imagine
  • Reply 7 of 24
    iSights are half the price of the 10 gig iPods... also... the iSight is a new product so the demand is higher than the 3G iPods that have been out for a few months. Plus there's iChat AV which makes getting an iSight a no brainer.

It's not that hard to believe that they're selling more iSights than iPods. Plus it only takes one more iSight than iPods to make it number one on the list.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

What are you smoking?

G5's for the same price G4's were selling for a year ago. How far do you want them to drop?

They aren't going to be able to build them fast enough.

Guess you'll be waiting for the G5 iMac...hehe

Maybe YOU are the one who has had a couple of joints. prices were dropping, dropping...and then they soared up to $400 more. i was just kind of dissapointed, and $400 more means that I have to deliver papers for 2 more goddamn months.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Dude... just lay off the weed for a month and you've got the $400 covered!

So you aren't attracted to the new low prices on the G4's?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

iSights are half the price of the 10 gig iPods... also... the iSight is a new product so the demand is higher than the 3G iPods that have been out for a few months. Plus there's iChat AV which makes getting an iSight a no brainer.

It's not that hard to believe that they're selling more iSights than iPods. Plus it only takes one more iSight than iPods to make it number one on the list.

read what I'm saying next time.

The topic at hand is G5 sales numbers..... and as I don't see more than 50,000 iSights being sold I therefore would say that G5 preorders are relatively low if they are not a bigger seller at the apple store.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    I could see them easily selling 50,000 iSights.

Where does iChat AV rank on their most popular downloads?

The G5's will take a little while to be bought up by the big agencies... Quark 6 has to be tested... but if it passes muster...

We've order a G5 for just for that purpose. If it works out we'll probably be getting 10-20 G5's this fall.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    50,000 iSights sold would be an incredibly impressive number. But based on the amount who actually bought one here (not a high percentage) I'd say they sold no where near that
  • Reply 13 of 24
    that's because they're all saving up their paper route money to buy a G5!
  • Reply 14 of 24
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    When would we have heard about this? They certainly wouldn't issue a press release to announce pre-orders, when pre-orders aren't sales. But I expect we'll hear next Wednesday, either at MacWorld or during the quarterly report.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

The no brainer is actually how iPods are currently available where iSights are not...Best Buy, Amazon, Target, Dell, etc. The iPod is outselling the iSight, just not at the Apple Store Online. It'll be a while before the iPod gets back on top there.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Perhaps it is not as simple as number of units sold?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Perhaps they make it up to push the products they want to.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Gee a top seller list would really push product...huh?

If they wanted to push product then they would theoretically put things they want to clear out of inventory at the top of the list.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Perhaps it is not as simple as number of units sold?

Of course it wouldn't be that simple...but it's not going to be complex either. For Apple they probably rank a week's worth of sales, whereas a big store like Amazon would use a much smaller 24 hour window.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    In my experience iSights are selling like hotcakes.

Off topic I know, but I know a LOT of people who have bought them. They're cool and relatively inexpensive. A lot of people buy at least two. One for themselves and one for the person/people they want to conference with.