Backpeddling - stage one

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/07/09...eld_Iraq030709

Iraq war not about new arms evidence: Rumsfeld

WASHINGTON - The United States didn't declare war on Iraq because of new evidence of banned weapons, U.S. Secretary of Defence Donald Rumsfeld said on Wednesday.

Rumsfeld said the U.S. declared war because it saw existing evidence of Iraqi arms programs in "a dramatic new light" following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Rumsfeld made the comments in an appearance before the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee.

On Tuesday, the White House acknowledged that U.S. President George Bush's claim that Iraq tried to buy uranium from Africa was based on forged information.

Though Bush justified the invasion to topple former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein largely by referring to his alleged possession of chemical and biological weapons and possible pursuit of nuclear weapons, such arms have not been found in the 10 weeks since the war ended.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Maybe we could have another WMD thread started by a liberal.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fishdoc

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/07/09...eld_Iraq030709

Iraq war not about new arms evidence: Rumsfeld

WASHINGTON - The United States didn't declare war on Iraq because of new evidence of banned weapons, U.S. Secretary of Defence Donald Rumsfeld said on Wednesday.

Rumsfeld said the U.S. declared war because it saw existing evidence of Iraqi arms programs in "a dramatic new light" following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Rumsfeld made the comments in an appearance before the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee.

On Tuesday, the White House acknowledged that U.S. President George Bush's claim that Iraq tried to buy uranium from Africa was based on forged information.

Though Bush justified the invasion to topple former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein largely by referring to his alleged possession of chemical and biological weapons and possible pursuit of nuclear weapons, such arms have not been found in the 10 weeks since the war ended.

These threads are getting a wee bit on the redundant side...

Ahh like I could care... Bush insults my intelligence... He is doing so with every American in the United States. The "official" story has changed so many times that I am sick of it changing. Do they really think we are all but blind sheep?

The bad part is.... How many americans are blind sheep?

I blame the education system. We are doomed if our citiznes can not hold a thoughtful and intelligent view of what is going on in Washington.

Have we become dumbed down?

I will wait on that judgement until I see the results of the next election.

Fellowship
  • Reply 3 of 13
    fishdocfishdoc Posts: 189member
    Well, I am not surprised you don't like it.

But the fact is this is a different topic than is being discussed elsewhere here - this is not about evidence for WMD, or intelligence for WMD - this is the brginning of what will be the newest shift in rationalizations for the Bush administration trying to justify the war.

Enjoy!

Fish

[edited to point out this was written before seeing Fellowship's post]
  • Reply 4 of 13
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

SDW2001 I have agreed with you over many things in the past.. but in all honesty does it really matter if a "liberal" or a "conservative" or "other" open a thread on WMD?

I think if Bush has lied to us over and over... That is the serious problem, not a few threads that all seem to say the same basic thing.

Fellowship
  • Reply 5 of 13
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Ahh like I could care... Bush insults my intelligence... He is doing so with every American in the United States. The "official" story has changed so many times that I am sick of it changing. Do they really think we are all but blind sheep?

The bad part is.... How many americans are blind sheep?

I blame the education system. We are doomed if our citiznes can not hold a thoughtful and intelligent view of what is going on in Washington.

Have we become dumbed down?

I will wait on that judgement until I see the results of the next election.

Fellowship

I agree with everything you say here
  • Reply 6 of 13
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Bush insults my intelligence... He is doing so with every American in the United States. The "official" story has changed so many times that I am sick of it changing. Do they really think we are all but blind sheep?

Yes, they do. In fact, they're counting on it. To most Americans there has never been an *official* story, just lots of official rhetoric. Until the major news outlets actually say something as plain and truthful as you just did (which they won't)...America will not get it. It's not stupidity, it's apathy, and until RealTVNews? says (in very simple and small words) 'Bush is a liar', America won't even look up from their Big Gulps and bags of Doritos. Sad, but true.

Fear The Future?.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Hehehehe!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    That sound you heard was Rumsfield spitting in the face of every serviceman and servicewoman in that region.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    4 threads doesn't seem like overkill to me? How about you guys?

I'll start another one.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

4 threads doesn't seem like overkill to me? How about you guys?

I'll start another one.

I knew it! you ARE liberal
  • Reply 11 of 13
    fishdocfishdoc Posts: 189member
    OK, perhaps I am missing the point here, but it seems to me that this is a pretty different issue than the other threads here. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong (as if I need to say that)...

The other threads are about: 1. the finding of supposed components/documents related to WMD (started, I should add, by a conservative), 2. faulty intelligence presented about WMD, 3. the White House admitting their intelligence was wrong about WMD (arguably the same as #2). That is it for this page, anyway.

The topic I was trying to open here was about the Bush administration's shifting claims about the reason for going to war. I suppose I can see someone arguing that it deals on one level with WMD, therefore is redundant, but by the same token one could argue that there should only be one thread allowed about the war, or only one thread about Bush, or...well, you see what I mean. This seems to me like a different issue.

But, clearly, I defer to the mods, and would be happy to tack this on to an existing thread.

Fish
  • Reply 12 of 13
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Just call "strawman" and send 'em runnin'!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Just call "strawman" and send 'em runnin'!

I knew this would happen sooner or later.