Cult Following

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I'm listening to the New York Dolls right now and I can't help but wonder. What bands, movies, books, whatever have cult followings now. I mean, are there other people who watch the Bad Lieutennant over and over, John Water's movies, 70's NYC rock and roll, the Velvet Underground, The Pretenders, William Burroughs.

What are today's cults? What over the last few years has built up a cult following?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Matrix (the *FIRST* one, not this retread crapola)

Harry Potter (okay, so plenty of media to drive it, but I still say it was mostly grassroots kids talking to each other about it)

Donny Darko

Red Elvises

Reverend Horton Heat

The Grateful D... er, I mean Phish
  • Reply 2 of 24
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Rocky Horror Picture Show anyone?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    That's so, so... *80's*.

I think Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, has been drawing more interest than RHPS. :/

And Hedwig and the Angry Inch revues have been becoming rather the in thing around here lately...
  • Reply 4 of 24
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Britney Spears
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Only in the red latex outfit.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Now this makes me smile. I was almost starting to think that these things couldn't catch on in our overly media saturated times. I love Hedwig, Rocky Horror, the Reverend and Donny Darko. It was a total highlight at the Breeders show when John Cameron whatever came out for the encore and did a Hedwig song.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

Rocky Horror Picture Show anyone?

<Homer Simpson>

Ahhhhh! Aahhhhhh! Ahhhhhhh! AHHHAHHAHAHHA!

</Homer Simpson>

No no no, mercy! Don't mention it! PLEASE!!!!

I work there. It's been extended twice and is a great show, but there is a limit to how much leather you should see per year!

But really, if you are in San Jose, stop by. It is a great show and there are tons of "normal" people too.

I got the whole thing memorized now. Is that scary or what!
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Apple? Steve Jobs? The Macintosh? Seriously though, I check these boards many many times each day... (Even though I only post every once in a while, I read a good amount of the threads posted each day...)
  • Reply 9 of 24
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    The rave scene seems a bit like a cult, the most of them seem to worship some type of mystical experience.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Starbucks.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Ecstacy.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    There's something about Bob the Builder that I don't trust...
  • Reply 13 of 24
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    The Flaming Lips, Radiohead
  • Reply 14 of 24
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
  • Reply 15 of 24
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

The rave scene seems a bit like a cult, the most of them seem to worship some type of mystical experience.

you mean it still exists?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

You mean they still exist?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    ROTFL! That picture makes me chuckle.

Songs From The Second Floor will become a cult classic if it is not already. Best movie I've seen in the last five years. Awesome visual imagery.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Songs From The Second Floor will become a cult classic if it is not already. Best movie I've seen in the last five years. Awesome visual imagery.

Actually, I had no idea that the image had anything to do with Songs From The Second Floor -- I hadn't even heard about that movie. I just did a Google image search for "bob dobbs", as in "J.R 'Bob' Dobbs", the iconic symbol and leading prophet the the Church of the Subgenius.

The Church of the Subgenius has been around for quite a while now (two decades? more?), and Bob has a way of popping up in lots of different places.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Trekkies probably qualify for cult status.

Reality TV has some cultlike followings for certain shows.

The Raelians (cloned babies or not) with polygamist plans for alien return.

Falun Gong, according to the Chinese Government.

Scientology perhaps not, but Waco wasn't the only fringe religious group killing followers of late... Aum Shinri Ko...
  • Reply 20 of 24
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    I swear there's some sort of SpongeBob cult at UCSB. It's freakish.