Resize the Preview in Column View?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
You know how in MS Windows there is that special "My Pictures" (or whatever) folder that shows the preview of the image without actually opening it?

Well, I'd kinda like to be able to do something similar in column view. I am pretty uptight about organization, and I'd like a quick way to browse through all my pictures without opening iPhoto. For a while I set my Pictures folder on Icon Size 128, but that wasn't quite big enough. I know there's a way to edit the preference file "com.apple.finder.plist" to make the desktop icons really big, but I don't know of any way to do this for a window (especially only a specific window).

Especially with the upcoming Panther release and the increased Snappiness? the Finder has evidently received, I think that this will go a long way to helping me keep organized more efficiently.

Thanks for any ideas...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    I don't understand why you don't just use iPhoto ...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Because I don't like the way iPhoto copies pictures into it's own filing system, effectively doubling the size of my photo library. I understand that there are reasons that it was done this way, but for my preference, I don't like it.

Additionally, while on my system iPhoto isn't unbearably slow (TI Book 800), it still isn't as responsive as I would like, especially when managing large numbers of pictures.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    The 'browse folder' in Graphic Converter is pretty slick
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Blast it, acollins... moderators hate people like you.

It's MacOS X *IF* someone posts a Finder hack.

It's Software *IF* the thread turns to GC or other 3rd party apps.

It's Digital Hub *IF* an iPhoto debate starts.

It's Genius Bar *IF* none of the above happen.

Alright, thread, you've won this round, but I'll be watching ye...

• Reply 5 of 9
    acollinsacollins Posts: 60member
    Sorry, Kick, I had no intention of incurring the wrath of the mods... In fact, the type of answer I was hoping for falls under the finder hack option; ergo, I posted here. (You don't know of a hack, do you?)

[crosses fingers]

To be honest, I don't think there's enough here to really rehash the iPhoto debate AGAIN.

[/ crosses fingers]

I didn't even know about the GC idea. I use the app, but I never noticed that feature. It is exactly what I was looking for... except not in the finder. I'll definitely be using GC more now.

Didn't mean to make you have to think, Kickaha.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Code Master

The 'browse folder' in Graphic Converter is pretty slick

I'll second that. I've been browsing, moving and organizing my image files with Graphic Converter form many years. Works great! Way faster and way better then iPhoto. GC browses your HD without creating and adding unasked-for files behind your back like iPhoto.

Not only can you browse your pictures with GC, you can delete, rename and even drag and drop them from within the browser. Sweet!

iPhoto could use a few lessons from GC.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    No, sorry, don't know of a hack... if you find one, let me know.

And yeah, we mods *hate* to think. Tends to eat into the beer swilling in the Moderators backroom.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    acollinsacollins Posts: 60member
    Well, I've been doing some looking, and I found this. The problem is, I can't get it to work. I thought I followed the directions, saving the file with the resource fork and all that, but the finder preview still doesn't resize.

I thought perhaps someone around here could get it to work and tell me how it goes.

PS - If you're not too busy swilling your brew, Kickaha, you may want to move this to Software, because that's what it's become...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Option-click on the bottom right column resize widget of the preview column and drag right to stretch it. (The two hash marks under the scroll arrows) This works best with movie files.