iBook (G3) versus PowerBook (G4)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I've been looking at benchmarks (Can't remember the links). Most of the benchmarks I've seen show the iBook in the same performance range as the PowerBook, even being faster in some tasks...

Is this true or is there something I'm missing? Why should I pay more for a PowerBook, besides status symbol?

Thanks,

Kurt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Well, you get built-in Bluetooth, AirPort Extreme, display spanning, a much nicer and firmer keyboard, a G4 processor that beats the iBook handily in the iApps, SuperDrive capability, and a lighter and smaller form factor.

I had actually purchased an iBook a couple of weeks ago, only to have to return it the next day; dead trackpad and broken display latch. I was going to have another one brought in, but figured with the rumors of speed bumped PowerBooks very soon, and a holiday that would basically erase a week's worth of waiting, I'd wait it out a little. I am so glad I did.

I stopped in at WestWorld Computers in Edmonton (about as close to an Apple Store as we'll see in Alberta for a long time ), and got to see the Aluminum PowerBooks for the first time. One word describes them: WOW. I did a side by side comparison of the 12" PowerBook and a 12" 900MHz iBook and couldn't believe the difference. The iBook was instantly scratched off my list of potential purchases. The feel, fit, and especially the keyboard... I will definately be buying a PowerBook as my next portable.

Photos really do not do the 12" PowerBook justice. Having just the iBook in my house, I was impressed enough with it... but damn, after using the PB for 20 minutes I was sold. I will NOT buy an iBook. Beg, borrow, steal... spend the extra dough and get the PowerBook. My newly founded opinion, anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

[B

I had actually purchased an iBook a couple of weeks ago, only to have to return it the next day; dead trackpad and broken display latch. I was going to have another one brought in, but figured with the rumors of speed bumped PowerBooks very soon, and a holiday that would basically erase a week's worth of waiting, I'd wait it out a little. I am so glad I did.

[/B]

Damn, you should never put a plastic i book in the hands of an hulking moderator
  • Reply 3 of 37
    yzedfyzedf Posts: 24member
    To put out a alternative view:

SuperDrive is overrated, and underused, by most. Blank discs aren't cheap (yet), and not of great quality.

G4 867 is not impressive (no L3 cache version) in comparison to G3 900. Altivec enhancement is nice, but not needed if you are looking at a iBook.

iBook is not a PhotoShop or FCP type of machine. It is a day to day web surfing, email checking, cd burning, dvd watching, type of machine.

If you are on the fence between the two, then the iBook is probably your best bet.

As you can tell from previous poster though, USE IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT.

Good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 37
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by yzedf

USE IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT.

Definitely!!
  • Reply 5 of 37
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i recently got to use a 12"and wow i was blown away also...i've used an 800MHz iBook but the 12" was really speedy and just seemed over all really nice

if you can afford it go for the g4 i'd say...if not get the g3 and up the ram and HD some
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Quote:

G4 867 is not impressive (no L3 cache version) in comparison to G3 900. Altivec enhancement is nice, but not needed if you are looking at a iBook.

Unless you think you'll be using iTunes, iMovie, or OSX.

Quote:

If you are on the fence between the two, then the iBook is probably your best bet.

As you can tell from previous poster though, USE IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT.

Good luck!

Absolutely. I had basically decided on the iBook from specs alone, but my decision changed almost instantly when I actually got my hands on one. Of course, YMMV.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    can always tell who uses a G3 and who uses a G4 or has used both

G3 = altivec is nothing blah blah

G4 = yeah its cool

used both = altivec is awesome get a g4
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Thanks for the replies... Altivec sounds important to me, as I would like to try some 3D animations eventually. Thats a cincher for me...
  • Reply 9 of 37
    ransomedransomed Posts: 169member
    make sure your 3d apps support altivec... 8)
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Unless you think you'll be using iTunes, iMovie, or OSX.

Absolutely. I had basically decided on the iBook from specs alone, but my decision changed almost instantly when I actually got my hands on one. Of course, YMMV.

iTunes is not a good program IMO. Makes a mess of everything (dir structure and ID3 tags).

iMovie is ok... I guess.

OS X is nice of course

As to the G4 vs G3 comment above (who has used which)...
  • Reply 11 of 37
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

iTunes is not a good program IMO. Makes a mess of everything (dir structure and ID3 tags).

only if they were a mess to begin with... I found iTunes made my organization of my mp3s MUCH easier... but then again I am anal retentive about my ID3 tags...
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

only if they were a mess to begin with....

Exactly. I friggin' love iTunes.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:

iMovie is ok... I guess.

OS X is nice of course

As to the G4 vs G3 comment above (who has used which)...

we've also just found out who downloads mp3s

haha if u do change the names...iTunes does its job but it assumes the mp3s were ripped...if this isn't the case be sure to change the ID3 tags as soon as you get them or you'll have a mess on your hands
  • Reply 14 of 37
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    I've got the iBook 900 and absolutely love it. But if I had the dough I'd have sprung for the 1G PB. The altivec would have been nice to have for certain PhotoShop filters. The most common app I run is PhotoShop 7 and it works great on the 900. I saw the article comparing the 900 iB to the 867 PB. In certain tasks the iB did marginally better than the PB, but in altivec processes the PB tore the iB a new one.

But then again as a first Mac for myself the iB has been wonderful and cheap enough to let me spring for a decent scanner.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

we've also just found out who downloads mp3s

haha if u do change the names...iTunes does its job but it assumes the mp3s were ripped...if this isn't the case be sure to change the ID3 tags as soon as you get them or you'll have a mess on your hands

No downloading here. Most of my stuff was ripped with grip (linux). I am just used to what grip does... and iTunes does it slightly differently.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    I finally got rid of my ibook (which had extra ram and airport) and got the 12" powerbook (with less ram than I had i my ibook) and it totally blows the ibook away for everything.

But at the end of the day it is all down to cost. The ibook I had was great I even did photoshop and other work on it, but there always was limitations like no desktop spanning or bluetooth. I see it like getting a standard car and the GTI version.

Get what is right for you!
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:

No downloading here. Most of my stuff was ripped with grip (linux). I am just used to what grip does... and iTunes does it slightly differently.

unless you have an obscure CD, iTunes should automatically check a CDDB and find the information...if it can't, load the information yourself before you rip...it will make ur mp3 organization better then any other...the design fo iTunes was built for organization...not mp3's named "do whop" or "track 01"

hope you know how to edit multiple mp3s at once though
  • Reply 18 of 37
    svinsvin Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jukebox Hero

Thanks for the replies... Altivec sounds important to me, as I would like to try some 3D animations eventually. Thats a cincher for me...

Altivec is kind of overated. For instance it does NOT speed 3D rendering up. Apparantly the FPU does this... Both Cinema 4D and FormZ has explained this on their webpages long time ago.

Altivec especially speeds up long rows of similar calculations, which means for instance mp3 encoding, 2D filters in photoshop and FCP, mathematical calculations.

As for the speed improvement in OS X itself I can't see any difference personally...

ap
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

unless you have an obscure CD, iTunes should automatically check a CDDB and find the information...if it can't, load the information yourself before you rip...it will make ur mp3 organization better then any other...the design fo iTunes was built for organization...not mp3's named "do whop" or "track 01"

hope you know how to edit multiple mp3s at once though

Every ripping program worth 1/2 a askjgdhag checks CDDB. iTunes was not built for organization, it was built for music
  • Reply 20 of 37
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    I love my iBook 466, but we're not talking about my iBook. A diverse range of anecdotal evidence suggests that there are certain systemic issues with the iceBooks. I don't want to deter any Apple sales, but many seem to be far happier with PBs. OTOH, the left side wrist rest on the 12" PB gets very hot even with minimal usage, which maybe an issue for some. YMMV.