go to thinksecret:

inkwell

perhaps just jumping the gun again...looks good and simple to use

g

here

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    bagubagu Posts: 23member
    I doubt it. People thought the same about Jaguar/Inkwell.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Perhaps there will be a writing tablet either built in to the rumored new keyboard or as an accessory?
  • Reply 3 of 41
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

go to thinksecret:

inkwell

perhaps just jumping the gun again...looks good and simple to use

g

here

Not sure I'm getting your point - those two panels are virtually unchanged from those in 10.2.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    That looks like the inkwell I have on my system now. What are we speculating?
  • Reply 5 of 41
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    They would put such a hurt on Wacom if they introduced an Apple-branded tablet that I doubt it will ever happen. It's one niche where they can't afford to be "developer unfriendly" IMO. Not like processor upgrades for example.

• Reply 6 of 41
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

They would put such a hurt on Wacom if they introduced an Apple-branded tablet that I doubt it will ever happen. It's one niche where they can't afford to be "developer unfriendly" IMO. Not like processor upgrades for example.

well... they could integrate tablet support into the track-pad and enlarge it on the PowerBooks... that wouldn't really be stepping on Wacom's toes as they would still have to produce full-size tablets for graphics professionals...
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Jobs already made a press statement stating they would not be making a tablet pc because there isn't a market for it. With the sales of the current market ones slumping, I'd say the end is near for them.

Also, remember the emate? Maybe if they can make a really cheap one for students, then maybe...
  • Reply 8 of 41
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    nm.

*shame*
  • Reply 9 of 41
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by contempt

Jobs already made a press statement stating they would not be making a tablet pc because there isn't a market for it. With the sales of the current market ones slumping, I'd say the end is near for them.

Also, remember the emate? Maybe if they can make a really cheap one for students, then maybe...

Well they could still make some multi-function device that is more than a Tablet, but had some type of Tablet functionality...
  • Reply 10 of 41
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    .Screw tablets!

Who the hell would buy one?

How many times do I have to say this: Apple should and will come out with a hinge that allows iBook and PowerBook screens to flip around, or perhaps better just have a detachable display with a short cord on it. That would alleviate bad posture and backpain many users suffer including me because of the monitor being attached to the keyboard.

How many tablet threads do we need. They will come out with Apple Toilet Paper? before a iTablet. No I won't suck anything if they do but I guarantee they won't. How well are those M$ Tablets selling?
  • Reply 11 of 41
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    The M$ Tablets are selling better then expected, Acer seems to be leading the pack. In fact Acer just announced plans for a 14-inch model of their ever popular TravelMate C100. I for one use the Skeye Pad, absolutely love the design and functionality. I'm running Midori Linux and find it as useful to use as my Powerbook, more so in time of traveling. For those of you who think these thing are gimmicks and geek toys are not thinking of the possibilities for Enterprise. A Paperless society is inevitable, Apple's exclusion in this market makes them seem less pioneer like. Playing it safe to see how this market develops before jumping in doesn't sound like the Apple I know. I believe we will see a introduction of an iTablet very soon, in fact a iTablet makes more sense for students then an iBook.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

A Paperless society is inevitable, Apple's exclusion in this market makes them seem less pioneer like. Playing it safe to see how this market develops before jumping in doesn't sound like the Apple I know. I believe we will see a introduction of an iTablet very soon, in fact a iTablet makes more sense for students then an iBook.

I agree. Everyone should lighten up on the 'tablet sucks' responses. It may not happen tomorrow, but there will soon come a time where there will be a TON of reasons to use a tablet.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

I agree. Everyone should lighten up on the 'tablet sucks' responses. It may not happen tomorrow, but there will soon come a time where there will be a TON of reasons to use a tablet.

Agreed! I would love to see a tablet-like device from Apple. Just because the {insert generic PC company here} tablets are cheap and run XP tablet edition, doesn't mean an Apple-branded one would suck! What product have they released recently that has 'sucked'?

I can envision a tablet with bluetooth keyboard and mouse and a display that detaches (cabled though) and could be attached to a stand ala the iMac arm thingy. That would be really nice; laptop like features, but detachable LCD for those using it in an office 8 hours a day.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

The M$ Tablets are selling better then expected, Acer seems to be leading the pack.

That's interesting. A widely published report a few months ago said sales were poor and that some manufacturers were cutting back. This was posted and discussed here at the time.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    If Apple were to make a tablet, it would have to be a quantum leap in technology to make it more than a trinket. They're not "there" yet, not even with Ink. That's only one piece of the puzzle.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    As tech' improves such as smaller, cooler PPC cpus, a tablet maybe worth doing.

Speaking as an artist...take a program like Painter 8.

Using a current Wacom is very unnatural. You're drawing on a piece of plastic but looking somewhere else. Yes, you can get used to it...but it's weird. Better, would be a tablet. Photoshop and Painter would be heaps better on a tablet.

I've used the Windows tablets. Performance isn't lightning quick...but it isn't dog slow either. The handwriting recognition is...fine. I was quite impressed with that side of things. I felt the tablet was fairly responsive. Easy to use Word etc. Painting was okay. But I felt the screen was a little small. It was one of these 'jobs' where you turn a laptop into a 'tablet'. And while the market is 'young' a two-in-one approach seems a logical one to take. It was quite clever...the way it clicked into being a tablet. Kind of the 'clever' thing you might expect Apple to do...

If Apple did a similar thing with its 17 inch Powerbook, the 17 inch screen would make an impressive tablet to draw on. I'm amazed at the amount of people saying they don't see the point of a 'tablet'. (Haven't you watched, Star Trek? Yeesh, they use 'em for everything!!!) Macs are creative machines. Drawing, painting, photo re-touching, 3D, the odd game, digital hub iapps...entering data...what can't you do with one? A tablet is certainly less clumsy than a laptop in use. The laptop is awkward. It's just a desktop that you can carry around. But you can't really use it while you carry it. With a tablet you can. And you could probably 'dock' a tablet to a docking station.

The tablet's prime time isn't quite now. But in the next year or two, as G5s really shrink(!) then their hour will come! Handwriting and pencil emulation still have a way to go. But in the next several years...a big tablet would do me much better than a heavy 21 inch CRT that just 'sits there'. A 21 inch LCD tablet that I could dock, draw on, paint on, write on would be awesome.

Lots of people didn't get the wisdom of the internet, the Mac, the gui, desktop, dvd authoring in the beginning. But these things all caught on. Nobody ever thought Apple would do an audio walkman of the iPod syle. I was one of the doubters. Never say never.

If Apple do a tablet...it will be done right and will try to reach a compromise of the limitations of the tablets of now...and best fit it in to its best, for now, purpose in the usual emphatic style of Apple.

I just don't think it's going to be for the next couple of years. Steve Jobs doesn't seem convinced. Not in terms of how we think of the tablet from M$ and others. If Apple does one it maybe something a little different to what we expect.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 17 of 41
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Like Making a web camera to compete with the iBot? Niche.

Like bundeling FAX software to kill STF does? Niche.

Like including a 'font manager' like Adobe used to do? Niche.

Like making a presentation app to try and kill MS PP? Niche.

Like possibly buying Roxio and killing Toast? Niche.

Like bundling ("integrating") a web browser? Remember when we were pissed about MS doing this, worried it was hurting poor little Netscape? Niche.

No more niches. Muhahahahahahah
  • Reply 18 of 41
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    To me, the roadblock isn't the chips, nor pressure sensitivity. Those are close if not there already. The major factors that have to be improved with tablets to make them truly beneficial are:

1. weight

3. abuse-proof -- scratches especially to the screen, falls, etc.

4. size -- both thickness and screen area. Limited to A4 or Letter size, or can you fold it open for A3 or tabloid screenspace?

5. UI -- I don't think a mouse- and keyboard-based UI helps tablets at all -- a whole 'nother experience is called for to make them productive machines (this one is a HUGE factor, count it as about 3 points)

6. keyboards -- how to integrate, because we will still use them

7. batteries/power -- to me, 5 hour battery life for a laptop is only marginally acceptable and I wold expect something as potentially convenient as a tablet would need 8 hour real-world battery life
  • Reply 19 of 41
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

If Apple were to make a tablet, it would have to be a quantum leap in technology to make it more than a trinket. They're not "there" yet, not even with Ink. That's only one piece of the puzzle.

Only BuonRotto understood my point. I didn't say the Tablet concept is bad, I just said as it is now it has no purpose outside inventory or other specialized fields like for a lawyer or doctor. Like someone else said Apple needs to take it further and lead the pack. That is why I mentioned a simple conversion of the screen hinge or an entirely detachable display for PowerBooks and iBooks. Rather than engineer a Tablet and then add in laptop features, it would be better, cheaper, and more appealing to the masses to engineer tablet features into a laptop.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

.Screw tablets!

Who the hell would buy one?

How many times do I have to say this: Apple should and will come out with a hinge that allows iBook and PowerBook screens to flip around, or perhaps better just have a detachable display with a short cord on it. That would alleviate bad posture and backpain many users suffer including me because of the monitor being attached to the keyboard.

How many tablet threads do we need. They will come out with Apple Toilet Paper? before a iTablet. No I won't suck anything if they do but I guarantee they won't. How well are those M$ Tablets selling?

Screw laptops!

(thanks for the HTML)

I don't like laptops. Not for walking around, no way.

I'm gunning for a new engineering position. One of my conditions will be that I get a Tablet PC vice a desktop. I'd prefer to be able to say to my new prospective employer, "Lookie heeyah; this Tablet will wirelessly sing with your idiot Windows network and I'll be so goddamned productive with it that you'll bless me like one of your sons for introducing this amazing innovation to your company." I hope to hell that it's an Apple Tablet that I'll be trying to shove down their throat.

Laptops are so 20th century.....

Aries 1B