so the other person needs a mac and ichat av?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
alrighty, i guess im completely clueless, so my question is:

so there is NO WAY to use video chatting/conferencing unless the other person has iChat AV and a mac? is there anyway around this at all? i was looking real forward to using iChat AV with my out of country friends.. but all of them use PCs...

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Actually, I hear a Commodore 64 and a Brownie Box camera will work in the next release...

No, sadly, both users do indeed need iChat AV and a Mac with a 600MHz G3 or better.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I believe Steve said something about Apple using standards in iChat AV, so that basically other IM applications could be made compatible with the audio/video chat of iChat. Its hard to tell if that is ever going to happen though.

-Snowster
  • Reply 3 of 18
    hikohtahikohta Posts: 41member
    damn, this is most definately disappointing, that such an amazing technology with loads of potential is being limited by its platform. but regardless, thanks alot for the quick info guys!
  • Reply 4 of 18
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hikohta

damn, this is most definately disappointing, that such an amazing technology with loads of potential is being limited by its platform. but regardless, thanks alot for the quick info guys!

er... the story of the macintosh!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    It is possible to have video via Yahoo messenger, regardless of what type of computer you're on. iSight also works w/ Yahoo messenger.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Why should Apple write iApps for X86?

It seems to me like a horrible move. Apple sells the system, they leverage HW and SW and if they started making all the neat Mac stuff PC, why the heck should anyone buy a mac?

By all means Apple should sell peripherals to the PC market, iPods and iSights, but they should only provide the Apps when it's in their best interest.

iTunes is a front end for the iTMS on the PC, so that's fine. iPod needs an interface, fine.

iSight doesn't need one so long as they make sure it works with popular chat systems and that iChat also works with those same systems (from the mac side)
  • Reply 7 of 18
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    OK, here's my main beef. I can understand limiting video conferencing to only other iChat users, because the competing systems use different file and compression formats probably. But audio conferencing (Voice over IP) should at least be compatible with everyone on the AIM network, since AIM for Windows has supported Voice over IP for a long time now. That would make the system much more useful (especially since lots of people have Microphones, and not that many people have webcams, comparatively.)
  • Reply 8 of 18
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "this is most definately disappointing, that such an amazing technology with loads of potential is being limited by its platform."

Let me get this straight--you're upset that a BETA app introduced a month ago hasn't been written for OSX and Windows? It isn't enough to open-source the protocol so that others can use it--they should be spoon-fed the apps as well, and that should happen BEFORE it is out of beta on the standard platform.

You have unrealistic expectations--and someone will write a compatible PC app for video conferencing before long.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    mrmister from everything that I've seen/read/heard, the lack of integration with non-iChat systems is not a function of the beta, but is something that will persist with the final release with Panther.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    To me the disqappointment is that it won't run on my 500 mhz iBook. I'm hardly going to buy a new machine just to run this app. ANd it's all of 1.5 years old. I'm at least a year away from a new laptop.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I haven't seen anything to suggest that Apple won't try hard to make the iSight under iChat A/V work with as many open standards and protocols as possible. It is still a beta product and deserves some time to mature.

It will be useless unless it connects mac users to the windows world. Apple knows this. But that is a differnt question than making iChat AV work on windows.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by norfa

To me the disqappointment is that it won't run on my 500 mhz iBook. I'm hardly going to buy a new machine just to run this app. ANd it's all of 1.5 years old. I'm at least a year away from a new laptop.

well you can still USE the app, just not the V part of it... and I'm sure there will be a "hack" to allow you to at least try to see how well it would run on a 500 G3....
  • Reply 13 of 18
    "the lack of integration with non-iChat systems is not a function of the beta"

No, it's a function of it being NEW and no one having yet written a PC app that uses its protocols. They're open--people will come, or they won't, but it's a bit EARLY for bitching.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

"the lack of integration with non-iChat systems is not a function of the beta"

No, it's a function of it being NEW and no one having yet written a PC app that uses its protocols. They're open--people will come, or they won't, but it's a bit EARLY for bitching.

Dude, AIM has had voice over IP for like 2 years!
  • Reply 15 of 18
    "Dude, AIM has had voice over IP for like 2 years!"

Great. Maybe AIM will eventually interact with iChat then...but I wouldn't expect that BEFORE the beta is finished testing.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

"Dude, AIM has had voice over IP for like 2 years!"

Great. Maybe AIM will eventually interact with iChat then...but I wouldn't expect that BEFORE the beta is finished testing.

You're missing the point completely. Since iChat uses the AIM network for text IMs, it would seem logical that iChat should also use it for voice messages. But doesn't, and there's no indication at all that it will in the future, hence the complaints. But I'd love for you to be right. Really, I would.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

But doesn't, and there's no indication at all that it will in the future, hence the complaints.

Perhaps AIM will switch to the protocol Apple is using.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Perhaps AIM will switch to the protocol Apple is using.

Perhaps, but there are a lot more AIM users out there than there are iChat users. Inertia's a powerful thing.