Mac OS X compatibility with USB 2 ?!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When will USB 2 be available for full operation on G4 OS X gear, if at all ?!

Does anyone around know anything concrete?

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: Tino ]

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: Tino ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    when apple is good and ready.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I thought OSX supported USB2 already and Apple just isn't shipping Macs with it.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    tinotino Posts: 2member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>I thought OSX supported USB2 already and Apple just isn't shipping Macs with it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Does not look like it, as &lt; <a href="http://www.usb.org"; target="_blank">www.usb.org</a> &gt; only mention WINDOWS compatibility on their site. Hence my desperate question. I just bought USB 2 Pocket Drive which is a real pain (despite the really diminutive size) running at mere 12 Mbs intead of 480.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    detahdetah Posts: 57member
    traditionally, apple adopts relevant technologies at least 2 years behind the rest of the industry, well after obsolesence.

and you can always count on apple to sell at obsolete prices as well.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    [quote]Originally posted by detah:

<strong>traditionally, apple adopts relevant technologies at least 2 years behind the rest of the industry, well after obsolesence.

and you can always count on apple to sell at obsolete prices as well.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Already up to 28 posts, wow.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member

<strong>traditionally, apple adopts relevant technologies at least 2 years behind the rest of the industry, well after obsolesence.

and you can always count on apple to sell at obsolete prices as well.</strong><hr></blockquote>

*cough* USB

Amorya
  • Reply 7 of 15
    sushiismsushiism Posts: 131member
    and firewire, I know many pc users who bought pcs this year without usb, let alone firewire
  • Reply 8 of 15
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    If you purchase a <a href="http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=3738&Item=ORM70HTL00110"; target="_blank">USB 2.0</a> card it will include drivers for MacOS X. Whether or not they work well is another question.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member

LOL!

First Apple has to fsck it up with Firewire...they've already done a good job, nearly there. I bet that within a year Firewire will be dead and USB2 will own the market.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mokimoki Posts: 551member

This is extremely untrue -- Apple has been driving the industry on a number of fronts: design, lack of a floppy drive, DVDRW, USB, FireWire, etc, etc.

Apple has been driving innovation in an industry that has been in a "make it cheaper" coma for years.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote] Origi
  • Reply 12 of 15
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    There is a next generation firewire technology that is developed already, also. I have read about it and seen many mentions of it, but I have lost the links. *sighs* It is ready, but they are choosing between two plug forms. One form is the same as the existing firewire plug. the other one is larger. It is at least twice as fast as the existing firewire speed, and it runs circles around current firwire and USB2. I do not see Apple loosing any ground here... Also I am sure Apple will adopt USB2 when it is adopted by the industry. Even now, it is just beginning to catch steam.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    yurin8oryurin8or Posts: 120member

I'm with u dude...and I have at least 30 righteous posts.

Apple. Think G5.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    yurin8oryurin8or Posts: 120member
    [quote]Originally posted by moki:

<strong>

This is extremely untrue -- Apple has been driving the industry on a number of fronts: design, lack of a floppy drive, DVDRW, USB, FireWire, etc, etc.

Apple has been driving innovation in an industry that has been in a "make it cheaper" coma for years.</strong><hr></blockquote>

* design. i care about software design not case design. in terms of hardware design apple has driven nothing of late.

* lack of floppy. i still have one.

* dvdrw. wow, they "include" these for a price.

*usb. how did apple drive this? honest question.

*firewire. agreed.

Apple definitely does NOT drive the industry. What's its market share again? Or do you mean the macintosh industry?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by yurin8or:

<strong>

*usb. how did apple drive this? honest question.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's arguable that the iMac's inclusion of ONLY USB for peripheral connections drove the widespread development of usb peripherals.

With all the peripheral manufacturers being behind USB, it was only natural that more and more PC makers would put the ports on their machines (so as to not be seen as incompatible with the 'new technology'.)