uh oh... moto needs to get in gear NOW.

synsyn
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/937/3.html"; target="_blank">http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/937/3.html</a>;

yes, an 800MHz ClawHammer destroys anything within twice the MHZ at Q3A.

If this holds true, considering the fact that it is supposed to start at 2GHz+ rated at 3600+, a simple speed bump of the G4, whatever the MHz, will *never* be enough to help reduce the performance delta.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    nostradamusnostradamus Posts: 397member
    [quote]a simple speed bump of the G4, whatever the MHz, will *never* be enough to help reduce the performance delta.<hr></blockquote>

That's probably why most of the top Apple executives are selling their stocks. Apple doesn't have very long to live (perhaps another two years).
  • Reply 2 of 65
    timortistimortis Posts: 149member
    [quote]Originally posted by SYN:

<strong><a href="http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/937/3.html"; target="_blank">http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/937/3.html</a>;

yes, an 800MHz ClawHammer destroys anything within twice the MHZ at Q3A.

If this holds true, considering the fact that it is supposed to start at 2GHz+ rated at 3600+, a simple speed bump of the G4, whatever the MHz, will *never* be enough to help reduce the performance delta.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just sit back and wait now before people start going on about how "it doesn't matter if you can run Quake at 300 fps, you can't perceive anything faster than 60 fps at most".

Then some gamers will defend by saying that they can indeed feel the difference and that it matters, a lot.

All of these people will NOT understand the fact that running Quake is just running an OpenGL benchmark with fairly low polygon counts, and that if your processor can pull 500 fps in Quake, there's a VERY GOOD chance it'll also do well in other OpenGL applications like Maya or LightWave.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    (*wham*wham*wham*wham*wham*) &lt;== Nonsuch pounding head against desk

Mods: Please just open a "PC Hardware Envy" forum before this one becomes completely worthless.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    [quote] That's probably why most of the top Apple executives are selling their stocks. Apple doesn't have very long to live (perhaps another two years). <hr></blockquote>

"whats that you say, chicken little? the sky is falling?"

speculation caused the great depression. i dont want to be greatly depressed. Apple is not going to end soon, definitely not in 2 years. They are making a profit, post 9-11, in a recession. The execs dont own stock just so they can own Apple, they own it so they can make money on it every so often; its called profit-taking.

kill all the white men.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    detahdetah Posts: 57member
    even more worthless are desperate fanboys that blindly defend a dying company.

if apple can't keep up in the tech industry, apple deserves a kick to the curb.

the dark cloud grows stronger and stronger...
  • Reply 6 of 65
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Relax, folks, comparing the Athlon 800 vs the Clawhammer 800 shows that the later is merely 50% faster, not 100 or 200%.

If the G5 is coming, it may well be within a similar range of improvement over the G4.

And no, had you actually read the article, you'd have seen that an Athlon at twice the speed did crush the clawhammer, so don't tell me it "kills everything with twice the MHz".

It should be interesting to see how final products with final clockspeeds compare and, more importantly scale over time.

G-News
  • Reply 7 of 65
    horned_froghorned_frog Posts: 577member
    Wouldn't Apple be smarter to announce new chips in advance like this to "take the edge off" and let people know there is a future in Mac computing?
  • Reply 8 of 65
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by SYN:

[QByes, an 800MHz ClawHammer destroys anything within twice the MHZ at Q3A.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>What? An 800Mhz chip faster than another chip at twice the Mhz? I thought that was impossible!
  • Reply 9 of 65
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>Wouldn't Apple be smarter to announce new chips in advance like this to "take the edge off" and let people know there is a future in Mac computing?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No -- it would destroy any sales of machines between now and the announcement, and leave them with a pile of inventory that they can't move without pricing it below cost.

Intel and AMD can do this because they are more like Motorola than Apple, except that they have many customers not just one.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>

That's probably why most of the top Apple executives are selling their stocks. Apple doesn't have very long to live (perhaps another two years).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly! And that's also probably why they are buying up so many other companies right now.

Oh, wait a second.......hold up......hmmmmm....um......lemme see.....does that work? Now I'm all confused.

Or maybe Nostradamus is. The real Nostradamus couldn't predict the future either.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong>

No -- it would destroy any sales of machines between now and the announcement, and leave them with a pile of inventory that they can't move without pricing it below cost.

Intel and AMD can do this because they are more like Motorola than Apple, except that they have many customers not just one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good points...Also Apple does not make their chips, Motorolla and IBM do. Thay have already anounced some rough specs for their next generation chips for the majoriaty of their customers. Apple is the main customer for their desktop centric chips, and Apple would prefer not to pre-announce.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    [quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>Wouldn't Apple be smarter to announce new chips in advance like this to "take the edge off" and let people know there is a future in Mac computing?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple doesn't make chips.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member

<strong>

That's probably why most of the top Apple executives are selling their stocks. Apple doesn't have very long to live (perhaps another two years).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Powermac G4 - Mac lover turned troll...
  • Reply 14 of 65
    ibibibib Posts: 1member
    What's more important - that Apple can release Macs that beat the competition with lots and lots of MHz or that they sell computers that do the job as good as it gets?
  • Reply 15 of 65
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    cause fps is the most important benchmark...

cause apple is focusing on the gaming market, right? that's what i thought....
  • Reply 16 of 65
    resres Posts: 711member
    LOL Apple disappearing within two years? Come on people -- I totally agree that the current tower lineup is terrible and gives you about half the performance you can get from the top dual processor PC, but to think that Apple is not going to correct the performance gap is ridiculous.

My problem is that I have to make a purchase in the next few months and if they don't do something significant about the gap by then I will be forced to switch over to dual Athlon systems. I just can't wait any longer, and once the switch is made it would be very improbable that I could ever go back.

In the long run Apple will catch up and probably pass the PC in performance (at lest temporarily). I just hope that they do it fast enough for me to stay an Apple shop.

BTW: since no one is even remotely speculating on Apple's future hardware shouldn't this get moved to general discussion?
  • Reply 17 of 65
    timortistimortis Posts: 149member
    [quote]Originally posted by Max8319:

<strong>cause fps is the most important benchmark...

cause apple is focusing on the gaming market, right? that's what i thought....</strong><hr></blockquote>

What did I say? Here they come....
  • Reply 18 of 65
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member

<strong>

2 years? more like month by month existence. Christ, how many mac users does it take to say "It was great back when apple was around, if only they'd . . ."?
  • Reply 19 of 65
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    if you wanna play games, get a console

i'm not a blind apple believer....the towers should atleast have DDR, but apple can't do sh!t about the chip....moto makes them...start egging them

has it ever occurred to you that people don't use macs just for games? there are plenty of us who use it for word processing and internet and other tasks....i'm sorry the mac doesn't meet your expectations for gaming...apple is focusing on consumers and video professionals...a pc or gaming console would meet all your gaming needs

there's no need to focus on gamers....let the consoles have 'em...if microsoft can't compete in the gaming business, what makes you think apple can?

gamers aren't the only group out there....there are plenty of people who seem to overlook the fact that macs 'suck' at gaming...they do plenty of other things well...

macs are slower than pcs in most tasks. get used to it. if a mac doesn't meet your needs, find something else....coming to this site and b!tching doesn't do anything...

i'm sorry you had a bad day...go and play quake to let off a little tension...
  • Reply 20 of 65
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong>

Intel and AMD can do this because they are more like Motorola than Apple, except that they have many customers not just one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So we can safely assume no ones buying new PCs at the present, as there all waiting for the Clawhammer to come out. This is similar to the reasoning that says Apple shouldn't release the hottest products it can at this particular time becasue we're in the tail end of a recession-and they new products would just be "wasted."

I will grant you that there may be some truth to what you say a month or two before introduction of the new chips. But giving your customers hints of great things coming a year or so down the road is not going to destroy current sales. In fact, it might have the opposite effect, keeping customers who need performance from jumping ship.