Any new iBook info

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So, with MWNY approaching, what's the word on any updates to the iBook? Likelihood slim to none? Feasable though not probably? Very likely? I've been out of the rumor loop for a bit now and was just wanting to get caught up with the new news.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    I am not the best person to answer your question, but my gut feeling is that there will be a new iBook within a few months, possibly MYNY. The current form has been out since 2001 and although still good, is ready for an update. Problem is how to change it - the current one is so good it fills it's brief perfectly.

Apple may have to upgrade the PowerBook G4 to a PowerBook G5 first, to let them put G4s in an iBook and still have a big enough gap. There have been rumblings about a new PowerBook so maybe this will be unveiled at MYNY. If it is, there is little chance of an iBook for another few weeks or months - unveiling a new iBook and a new PowerBook at the same time would mean less coverage for both.

So what will be in the new iBook since I don't know how to improve it? Hopefully they will keep it a similar size, maybe add a G4, USB 2.0, Bluetooth. Other than that, it will be moving into PowerBook territory. Either way, I feel we have two great new laptops coming our way, I reckon something major (maybe very small with removable components) will happen to the new PowerBook range and an evolution of the iBook perhaps with a G4, in a new case design will follow suit. Here's hoping. 8)
  • Reply 2 of 8
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Well, since the iBook is the most recently updated laptop, I would give it zero chance of being updated before the powerbooks get a refresh.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I hope that apple realized that the rating for the iBook in Macworld was 4.5 mice when it first came out, but that has dropped to 3.5 mice due to the crappy keyboard and ugly new finish. Apple should take a step backwords, and revert back to the case and keyboard of the 700 MHz iBook.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    I would say that the powerbooks are definately the next to be updated. Give it a few months on the new ibooks.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    The new iBooks remind me of Fisher Price and Windows XP.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    What do you mean? What's wrong with them?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

I am not the best person to answer your question, but my gut feeling is that there will be a new iBook within a few months, possibly MYNY.

Sorry MWNY is no more. It's called MWCreative Pro and begins next week. No SJ keynote. There may be a hardware surprise. Apple has recently introduced new products at special events more then at regularly scheduled events. There will no doubt be a speed bumped iMac before the Holiday selling season. Next year I'd bet on a G4 in a new enclosure. But who knows..... and he ain't telling. \
  • Reply 8 of 8
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I hope that apple realized that the rating for the iBook in Macworld was 4.5 mice when it first came out, but that has dropped to 3.5 mice due to the crappy keyboard and ugly new finish. Apple should take a step backwords, and revert back to the case and keyboard of the 700 MHz iBook.

Amen!

This current model is incredibly ugly. I wonder how much Apple saved per iBook by going with the new finish?