Apple should release a scanner.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Digital cameras, phones, and PDA's are all well developed, designed, and market-saturated, so Apple has stayed out of those areas.

MP3 players and webcams were pisspoor, so Apple stepped in and raised the bar.

I think scanners in the OS X world are pitiful, and therefore Apple should step up to the plate.

Maybe a consumer scanner that makes scanning pics directly into iPhoto a snap... automated scanning of CD covers in iTunes, an autofeed mechanism, integration with the fax capabilities of Panther, integration with Preview, etc. And Apple branded OCR software. Of course, this would be plug and play, right out of the box.

Or maybe people think that market for scanners for OS X is saturated?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Nope, it's that type of diversification that got Apple in trouble in the mid 90s, and when Steve Jobs came in, he "Steve'd" all the products of that ilk.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    no, no, no, no, and no...
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Ti, u hit the nail on the head, i have a leaked pic of apple's scanner:

• Reply 4 of 28
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I actually had an Apple Color One scanner years ago (I think that was the name). I bought it from a co-worker for peanuts (this was during the 8.1-8.5 era).

I think I used it 5 or so times and sold it to someone else.

I don't know if Apple should necessarily make a scanner, but I wouldn't mind then seeing create some neat, universal driver/app (iScan?) that somehow worked with existing USB offerings from Epson, Canon, HP, etc. and - as the opening thread stated - gave the whole "Apple approach" to scanning: a simple, "don't need the manual" interface that tied in nicely with iPhoto and Panther's FAX.

Seems like everytime I turn around I get my wish, regarding software solutions that I wish Apple would tackle and apply their cool, legendary ease-of-use to (the iApps, iSync, the upcoming font and FAX features in Panther, Safari, etc.).

Maybe I'll get my wish? Seems like everytime I say it out loud ("I wish Apple would do a browser..." and the thread I started months ago about font management at the system level), within 6-9 months the product appears.

• Reply 5 of 28
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well, if scanner makers would use TWAIN drivers, there's Image Capture right now. I only assume it will be more robust in Panther. Why it doesn't dovetail with iPhoto is beyond me though.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    An underwater tablet scanner with Fovean sensors and Inkwell!

That's IT!!!
  • Reply 7 of 28
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Hey at least get the spelling right... it's "Foveon". Personally I think the underwater version will be crush-proof to 300 meters and will have 2 Foveon sensors - one for color and one for black and white.

• Reply 8 of 28
    Apple scanner? You're kidding right?

Oh, and digital cameras, phones and PDAs are all "piss poor" too. Just because a market is saturated doesn't mean the products are any good.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    matt31matt31 Posts: 14member
    Hi!!

For what? Digital Photography is going to end wiht the scanners. Also there are some excelent scanners that run on Mac OS X.

Matt
  • Reply 10 of 28
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    MMM brushed aluminum all-in-one printer scanner copier
  • Reply 11 of 28
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elric

MMM brushed aluminum all-in-one printer scanner copier

Excatly what Apple is not.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Apple won't release a scanner until they figure out step 2.

Step 1: Release scanner.

Step 2: ?

Step 3: Profit!
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Grrr... The next sub-5 post user I see starting a new thread I'll go nuts...

There should be a limit for 5-10 posts before the ability to make threads!

"Apple should make a scanner"

"Apple should make a DigiCam"

"Apple should make a Console"

"Apple should make a Bluetooth Mouse"

"Apple should make a PC"

Whine whine whine!! Learn some history and some sense before you post!!
  • Reply 14 of 28
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think Apple might consider buying a small imaging company with good technology and running it as a separate entity, as they've done with some software. Scanners, photo-printers, cameras: simple, reasonably priced, nice stuff that sells to both the mac and PC markets, and perhaps isn't even branded Apple at all.

Apple has done very well at diversifing their software business since Steve's tenure. There really aren't reasons why they couldn't have a small profitable peripherals partner/subsidiary, if they were very slow and methodical about rolling it out, even if it's just a nice profitable line to keep in their stores alongside third party stuff. And because they can get it cheaper than the 3rd party, they can periodically bundle it in to mac packages, or offer promotions that help pull people into the store.

Apple does have a presence with artists and printers and people concerned with imaging, if they offered products in that space they could sell well enough.

I do think, though, that for now they need to focus on getting "macs" to a faster/cheaper level.

2 things. Plasma displays are doing very well for Gateway. Apple could do one or two in a B&O style, but at a lower price, and a high res digital projector could go too. They don't have to make a lot of them, just eye candy for the stores/special order items.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

"Apple should make a PC"

• Reply 16 of 28
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Hey at least get the spelling right... it's "Foveon".

Um...'Fovean' must be the underwater version...yeah, that's it.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    [Ducks to avoid another toy being thrown from a pram in this forum].

Awfully heated in here chaps - just thought I'd throw my thoughts in. Scanners in my opinion are dwindling. They used to be used by people scanning photos, and the odd document, but with the onward march of digital cameras, (now including professional digital SLRs and budget compacts) a lot of people who would once use scanners now just use digital cameras, saving on the loss of quality you get when scanning a photo. Basically, the scanner market is just too small for Apple to bother entering. The iPod was a success because that is a new and growing market - Apple is more likely to release a digital camera or camcorder than a scanner (and I don't think either of these are particularly likely)..

Just my thoughts, I'll leave you to your handbags at ten paces...
  • Reply 18 of 28
    there is still a big market in scanners. You guys seem to be just thinking of the person who scans in there family photo prints. What about all the artists? We will alwase need scanners. Digital cameras will never replace them.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

there is still a big market in scanners. You guys seem to be just thinking of the person who scans in there family photo prints. What about all the artists? We will alwase need scanners. Digital cameras will never replace them.

Sorry, I realise you guys still need scanners which is why I tried to word my reply quite carefully. You have to admit though, for the company that makes the iBook and iMac and eMac for home and education users, there just isn't that much demand for scanners nowadays compared with say digital cameras. I word in a high street electrical store, and we must sell around 50 digital cameras a week, about 10-15 MP3 players, and often no scanners. Just my thoughts...
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

You have to admit though, for the company that makes the iBook and iMac and eMac for home and education users, there just isn't that much demand for scanners nowadays compared with say digital cameras.

I completely agree.