Safari Right Click

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I finally bought a 12" PowerBook and I have had it for about a week now. I started using Internet explorer but it seemed to run way too slow. So I tried Safari, and IMO, it was better than IE. My only problem with Safari is that it doesn't have a right click menu to open a new window or copy a link etc...

Is there a way to open a new window in Safari without having every link open on a new page?

Or, is there a way to speed up the page loading time of IE? It seems to load the entire page and the images before it renders the page.

Any help or comments are appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    You mean a safari right click menu like this...

Try getting the 1.0 (v85) version from the apple website.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Thanks, thats a big help.

This could probably be another topic, however...

Would upgrading to 640MB of RAM make any difference in IE loading times, not connectivity (obviously).
  • Reply 3 of 40
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Secret Agent Man

Is there a way to open a new window in Safari without having every link open on a new page?

Typing Command-N would be my best guess.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Secret Agent Man

if you don't have tabs enabled try holding command (the apple key) when you click on a link. That should open it in a new window... Are you familiar with tabs?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    No, I am not familiar with tabbed browsing.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    okay, well it should be off by default so command clicking will spawn a new window..

in the screenshot above you will see a small "tab" underneath the bookmark bar. When you enable tabbed browsing (checkout preferences in safari) you can use command clicking to enable new tabs in this small area... some people like this, others do not...

it is up to you if you want to use tabs, but many people find it useful--especially for reading forums like this...
  • Reply 7 of 40
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    None of this helps the fact that Safari's contextual menus don't have a "Forward", "Back" and "Reload", making them well-nigh useless for navigation.

I wish they'd incorporate that.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    oh, i didn't realize that was your concern... I only read that you wanted to be able to open a link in a new window and copy the address of links... both of which are present...

if you want rich contextual menu support in a browser take a look at camino:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/camino/
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Paul, are you talking to me?
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Thanks for giving me the heads up on the tab menu, I like the tabs better than moving to a new window each time.

Good advice.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

None of this helps the fact that Safari's contextual menus don't have a "Forward", "Back" and "Reload", making them well-nigh useless for navigation.

I don't know about reload, but cmd-[left arrow] and cmd-[right arrow] go forward and back.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:

Paul, are you talking to me?

hah sorry i didn't look at who was posting heh...
  • Reply 13 of 40
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I don't know about reload, but cmd-[left arrow] and cmd-[right arrow] go forward and back.

cmd-R reloads
  • Reply 14 of 40
    All well and good, but since I use the mouse to navigate on webpages it'd be a lot better, IMO, if those simple commands were in the contextual menu as well.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    my mouse has 4 buttons: left, right, wheel-click, and thumb.

best way to go, unless you can get dual-thumb buttons
  • Reply 16 of 40
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

All well and good, but since I use the mouse to navigate on webpages it'd be a lot better, IMO, if those simple commands were in the contextual menu as well.

Well, since you're obviously using a multi-button mouse (otherwise it's no great effort to move your finger from control to command), why not either map some of the buttons to the keyboard commands or use mouse software (like mouseworks) that lets you open a launch menu with a button chord? Code simple applescripts for forward, back, and reload and put them in the launch menu. Or use iKey to attach those applescripts to F-keys and map the buttons to F-keys. I'm sure there's other creative ways you could do this, too.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    No, Apple should just include Back and Forward in the contextual menu. Period. Workarounds are nice but no substitute for basic functionality.

Also need "Open Image in new Tab" and "Email This Page" while they are in there adding stuff...
  • Reply 18 of 40
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

No, Apple should just include Back and Forward in the contextual menu. Period.

Wow!

Apple doesn't like contextual menus because when abused by adding every little thing they become more of a hinderance than a help. Windows users tend to rely on them more, while old school Mac users have been using keyboard commands for almost 20 years.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Apple doesn't like contextual menus because when abused by adding every little thing they become more of a hinderance than a help. Windows users tend to rely on them more, while old school Mac users have been using keyboard commands for almost 20 years.

Back and Forward (or Previous/Next) are not "every little thing". Navigation is the single most important function in a web browser.

If I were to rank the top 5 most important web browser user-input-related functions:

1. Enter a URL by typing.

2. Clicking links.

3. Scrolling

4. Navigating Back or Forward

5. Copy text

Since 1, 2 and 3 are not contexual menu related (not naturally) that makes Back and Forward pretty integral to a browser's usefulness.

Macintosh is about empowering users not hindering them. Macs have many ways to do the same thing, for the several levels of user experience: novice, intermediate and advanced.

Novice: Clear, intuitive graphical Back and Forward buttons.

Intermediate: The above and Control-Clicking and selecting Back or Forward from the contextual menu.

Advanced: The above and Command-left arrow or Command-right arrow.

(Obviously these can be intermixed depending on the user's abilities or preference. For example my elderly mom actually chooses to use command-arrows, something I rarely see beginners prefer, compared to icons)

If Apple is going to have contextual menus at all, then they must not be half-assed with them. All Safari contextual menus, save the Image one, have like 3 or 4 items. It's not bloat to add 2 more.

Heck, now that Mac OS X has those neat multiple-item-per-line selection lists, we could have Back and Forward be on just one menu line (and have little icons). That would be cool

Apple obviously finds contextual menus useful or else they would not have incorporated them.

I wouldn't want a "Not Invented Here" attitude to limit the Mac user experience.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    "Well, since you're obviously using a multi-button mouse (otherwise it's no great effort to move your finger from control to command), why not either map some of the buttons to the keyboard commands or use mouse software (like mouseworks) that lets you open a launch menu with a button chord? Code simple applescripts for forward, back, and reload and put them in the launch menu. Or use iKey to attach those applescripts to F-keys and map the buttons to F-keys. I'm sure there's other creative ways you could do this, too."

I could, but that would be both complicated and overkill--despite liking contextual menus for simple webpage navigation, I do not actually relish the thought of using complex mouse button programming.

I would just like Safari to have the same functionallity present in Mozilla, OmniWeb, Firebird, IE and Camino. It's a very noticable omission.

And this would hardly lead to Contextual Menu Abuse--I'm not advocating the REMOVAL of the buttons.