ibook wont recognize external hard drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an ibook that suddenly won't recognize any of my external hard drives that have worked for the past year. It is if they aren't even connected. Other devices work so the usb ports are functioning. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Have you tried to connect the external hard drive to another computer... maybe the drive is the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    lalalala Posts: 2member
    I plugged the hard drive into another computer and it works fine. I am not sure what to do.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    scott_rscott_r Posts: 98member
    I'm having a similar problem with a Maxtor 5000DV Fire-wire/USB 2.0 dirve. My recently purchased used iMac DV SE (this guy is almost four years old) will not reconize the drive, but my PC sees it just fine. I can share the drive on the PC and the Mac will see it and write to it just fine! The iMac talks to my iLink Sony cammcorder just fine. I also had a spare fire wire cable and it din't make any difference (I tried the USB on the Mac too and no dice.)

I did get some files to update the Mac. But the driver file kept croaking during the install!

The iMac see my USB 256MB key chain drive just fine! So this is very strange I have to call Maxtor about this and see if they have any suggestions.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lala

I have an ibook that suddenly won't recognize any of my external hard drives that have worked for the past year. It is if they aren't even connected. Other devices work so the usb ports are functioning. Any advice would be appreciated.

Did you upgrade the operating system to Jaguar during this time?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Did you upgrade the operating system to Jaguar during this time?

Yes, actually from OS 9.1 to 10.2.6. Will that cause a problem like this?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scott_r

Yes, actually from OS 9.1 to 10.2.6. Will that cause a problem like this?

If you boot into OS 9 does your iBook then see the drive?

If so this is the same problem I am having.

Have not yet found a solution.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

If you boot into OS 9 does your iBook then see the drive?

If so this is the same problem I am having.

Have not yet found a solution.

Just gave this a try and now my system will not boot OS 9. I just get the happy Mac face and the machine just stops!

I have no OS 9 disk to boot the system. I have tried: Zapping the parameter ram, using the OS X boot disk (and it says it does not fix startup disk problems!)

So now I've got a dead machine with some emails and some other files that I would like back up before doing a clean install. Never thought I'd have a problem booting back to OS 9.

Any suggestions? Can I download a OS 9 boot disk to my PC and create a CD to boot my Mac to repair it? (I'm OK now see the posts below)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Update:

Well after looking around the web, looked like I pretty much had to redo my system. No OS 9 disk (I just got this computer and didn't come with anything.) So I tried all the above mentioned things. But I'm pretty resourceful. So I hooked up my Firewrie drive and put in the Jaguar disk and try to boot up the iMac. It just hung at the grey apple screen with the little twirling thingie. The I tried booting up without the drive. Then I opened the disk utility, plugged in the Firewire drive and presto, it showed up. Formatted it to Mac OS Extended. The quit the disk utility and started the installer, the FW drive showed up in the screen of disk choices told the installer to install there and away it went.

After install was done, I checked the internal drive and I could see all my old files! Yippee! So guess this is one way to fix the problem with the FW Drive. Maybe zapping the parameter memory did the trick also, not sure. But anyway, Firewrie drive is working!!!

I really wanted to keep it PC formatted so I could transfer files back in forth from my PC but I have network connection between the two for that.

Hope this anyone having problem seeing their FW drive.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Gave this a try and it worked as well. While booted on the FW drive went to the control panel, changed the start up disk to my internal drive, rebooted and all back to normal * and * I can now see the FW drive which started this whole mess in the first place.

Round about way to get it to work, but working it is and now need to see about trying to edit some video with this guy with the new disk space I have! . . .
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Last update. . .

Why my system wouldn't boot to OS 9 is that it only had 9.0.1 not 9.1 or later. I can't even run classic apps (that's how I figured out what the problem was!)

Wish I had known about this a head of time and would have updated to 9.2.x so I'd have the ability to use OS 9 if the need came up. Anyway I just edited a video no problems (just straight captures and no effects) and very impressed with this little 400MHz system!

Hope all this info helps some one that gets a hold of some old systems and runs into these problems . . .