smart car! advice/info/reviews.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
so anyone own one or do you know of anybody who does.anyadvice would be cool.

www.smart.com

thanks rob

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    they are more common in europe than in Usa. i havent seen even ONE in USA yet.

look great, and more specificly they are common in places with a parking-infernos. e.g. italy has plenty of them, and in hte cities where you have to show how "cool" you are they are more popular.

i want one.

i have seen ONE company importing them to US, and they are in florida. no idea what importing one will cost, anyone has idea?

- or, importing them to Australia as well. I guess they arent' very popular there either =)
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    Man, those are wierd looking. Kinda like a mini cooper from what I can see on that link.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I drove one when I went to Italy over spring break last year... It was on Easter Day after having a HUGE outdoor meal (and quite a bit of wine ) at my Teacher's friend's house just outside of Rome...

very good food... cool car... but I don't know if I would like it after more then 80 miles in it... I happen to like my ford explorer... parking isn't THAT big of a problem for me in the city as 90+% of the time I find a "free" (sometimes a meter) spot on the street...

I have seen quite a few of them here in the US... but I think I have them confused with electric cars... at some Long Island Train stations these smaller cars (about the same size) have preferred parking where they charge up when you are at work... very cool idea as well...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    They are quite common here. The Smart HQ is only some miles away and DaimlerChrysler (which owns Smart) gives rebates on their cars to their employees. Therefore many use it as a second car to commute. It is very short (we sometimes have special smart parking lots here). You can nearly park two Smarts on the same place for a normal car.

I didn't drive one myself but I was a passenger. The interior looks much wider than you expect from the outside. The dashboard e.g. looks rather cheap to me. I wouldn't use one for long distance travel, but it's built as a city car anyway. BTW: The Smart Cabrio is a nice variant.

Here are some picture I took:

• Reply 5 of 9
    squidthingsquidthing Posts: 124member
    I know a few people who own them and I haven't heard any complaints, as far as laws are concerned they're motorbikes, so you only have to pay motorbike road tax.

Even though there are only two seats, they are quite spacious inside, big enough to hold 113 basketballs (yes, I've tried it) And as they're only half the size of a normal car you can fit two of them in a parking space, or park them facing the curb at the side of a road.

Andrew
  • Reply 6 of 9
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    well i think there kinda cool. if i hopefully buy one it wouldnt bee long distance driving just surburban,city driving.

theres a 4 door coming soon.

there were a few in oz recently for a promotion fun run.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Notice that the US isn't an option in that link's "where you are" pop-up menu.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Notice that the US isn't an option in that link's "where you are" pop-up menu.

According to this (german) article, Smart will introduce the ForFour in 2005 on the US market. The introduction of the current two-Seater failed until now due to strict security regulations for fueling a vehicle in the US.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GSpotter

According to this (german) article, Smart will introduce the ForFour in 2005 on the US market. The introduction of the current two-Seater failed until now due to strict security regulations for fueling a vehicle in the US.

I heard just someone explaining about these regulations. I had found so far only ONE company in US importing smarts: this . i wonder if they change the gasoline tanks?