External speakers for G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Any recommendations on a set of speakers to plug into the G5 with Toslink? Would they be self-powered, and is there any chance Apple will sell their own set?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Consider the TDK Tremor or Monsoon speakers

They are flat (physical shape) and have "grille" to match the G5
  • Reply 2 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Consider the TDK Tremor or Monsoon speakers

They are flat (physical shape) and have "grille" to match the G5

does it come with a sub woofer because flat speakers give horrible lows...and depending on quality of the speakers not so great mids
  • Reply 3 of 14
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    The TDK and Monsoon does come with a subwoofer, but those are for the analog connectors. I don't know much about audio, so I'm asking if anyone has any recommendations for speakers that plug into the Toslink digital connector of the G5.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Apple sells the logitechs which have a toslink input. Main reason for toslink is to get multichannel audio.

Why do you want toslink anyway? It does not mean better audio.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    A small Dolby Digtal amp would allow you to run any speakers you want.

Toslink gives you easy hookup and plenty of options.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Whatever you do, don't get the Klipsch 5.1 systems, they have about a 1 year lifetime and then the subwoofer dies and Klipsch doesn't fix it at a free charge. The Klipsch forums are filled with complaints. By Klipsch systems I mean both of their 5.1 offerings. The older one has the woofer problems while the latter's performance is bad when compared with the former's.

The Logitech system which Apple offers with the new G5's @ the applestore seem to be tops right now.

If those packages are too expensive then go for a cheaper Creative Soundworks solutions. They even have a 6.1 system for a mere 80$ or so. But, watch out I'm not talking about their Megaworks systems whose prices are comparable to the Logitech and Klipsch's.

Logitech also has a cheapo system for 65$ but people report dead woofers after a month and a half but that is the minority (@ newegg).

Neither Harmon Kardon, nor Altec have any "over the top cool" systems right now, so I'd skip them. Same with TDK or Monsoon.

I'd go with a cheap Creative Soundworks one.

-----------------------

Whoops you want optical. Well I guess you can disregard the aforementioned. Though stay away from the Klipsch systems.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I'm going to be getting a powerbook, and I'm in the market for speakers. So far these two have caught my eye:

Behringer Truth B2031

Event TR-5

• Reply 8 of 14
    Klipsch also offers an optical system termed the Promedia 5.1 Digital Dream Multimedia System which clocks in @ a good 499$, which is even more expensive than the Logitech which Apple recommends.

Hope this link works: http://www.klipsch.com/product/produ...md=More&cmd_r=
  • Reply 9 of 14
    macubusmacubus Posts: 95member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

A small Dolby Digtal amp would allow you to run any speakers you want.

Toslink gives you easy hookup and plenty of options.

That's exactly what I have. I think it's way better than getting a system just for your computer. I hooked up my PS2, N64, external DVD player, and the audio from my cable TV connection, look to spend at least 350 for an adequate receiver, though. It'll last, I promise you.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by elizaeffect

I'm going to be getting a powerbook, and I'm in the market for speakers. So far these two have caught my eye:

Behringer Truth B2031

Event TR-5

Those aren't speakers, they're near field monitors for audio engineers (and really crappy ones at that). I wouldn't recommend these as laptop speakers.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Just got one of these in preparation for my new G5 dualie.

A NAD L70 receiver/DVD player.

Got it hooked up to a pair of Paradigm Titans at the moment.

Looks awesome.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    How much for that NAD?

:drool:
  • Reply 13 of 14
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    $999.00.

Not cheap, but it is a NAD.

Probably could be found through an unauthorized dealer online somewhere for a bit less.

Its a nice piece of kit though. Should last a long time.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    chilleymacchilleymac Posts: 142member
    Just as a side note, I have a 3piece Logitech set that has amazing sound for the price. I use them with my PowerBook @ home. They are truly phenomenal. I believe they are superior in both volume and sound quality to Klipsch, and JBL offerings. I never expected that. I intended to buy the Klipsch speakers but changed my mind at the last minute. That's my 2 cents.