Save ONE Sci-Fi series..Trash the rest

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Media Mogul Mr Mighty Megabucks, has given you free reign over which sci-fiction series stays, gets revived, or bites the dust forever.

Which is it going to be ?

you can only pick ONE

Startrek. original

Startrek NG

Startrek DS-9

Startrek Voyager

Stargate

X-Files

Babylon 5

Dr Who

Red Dwarf

Or Other

Go 4 it.

(Cruel ain't it ? )

4 me : It's got to StarGate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I like Stargate too. RDA is letting the hokieness get out of hand but otherwise solid.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Andromeda.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    It is a cruel question.

I suppose it would have to be Star Trek NG for me, with Red Dwarf a close second. Star Trek NG I think was the cream of the Star Trek series, combining good characters and actors (for the most part), solid production values, and, especially, thought-provoking and varied story lines. Red Dwarf is an entirely different animal of course - I barely think of it as Sci-Fi, but rather a comedy of manners in space.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    You forgot about Farscape. In my opinion, it's the one series apart from B5 that to me made TV sci-fi feel fresh and innovative again, and the sfx were top-notch.

But, if I were forced to pick from the choices you've listed, I'd probably pick Red Dwarf. I would have loved to have seen one more season of TNG and more of B5, but I think that in the end, it was right for TNG to end when it did. As for B5, the plot arc had already been 'finished', paving the way for Crusade. That would have been a great show to watch, if it weren't for all of the interference from TNT.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Star Trek DS-9
  • Reply 6 of 63
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Absolutely no question: Dr. Who.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Or maybe The Night Stalker. That one scared the shit out of me as a kid.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Absolutely no question: Dr. Who.

It should have been a stipulation.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Farscape.

great writing, great sfx, and convincing aliens (muppets or not)

plus all the tongue in cheek earth culture references
  • Reply 10 of 63
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    I happen to like science fiction. There have been a lot of bad series on TV but back in the 90's there were quite a few good ones. B5, TNG, X-Files, and in 99 ( to include it in the 90's ) Stargate SG1.

Now unfortunately TV has sunk back into something worse than the game show, sitcom, or the western. The " reality " show.

Given that TV is soooooo bad it's my hope that more intelligent programing will return someday. I'd save them all. But if I was to pick one it would probably be Stargate SG1. The thing about Stargate is that it's on the Scifi channel as of a year ago. The scifi channel seems to have an effect on all shows it runs ( the exception probably would be Farscape ). Dummed down writing. I don't know what it is but since SG has been on the Scifi the shows haven't been terrible but they haven't been as good as they were before.

Also given the fact that most of the rest of TV is probably the representative of the TV executive formula and therefore the lowest form of intelligence out there. I say save them all!

TV needs all the help it can get and you really can't go wrong with a well written Scifi show!

PS. TV execs love the reality show ( cheap to produce ). They hate Scif. Expensive to produce and according to them ( before TNG ) Scifi doesn't sell on TV.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Yes I like DR. Who also. But, I think now the quaint nature of the show which gave it it's charm ( especially during the Tom Baker years ) would be difficult to reproduce.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    i liked x-files, do twilight zone count, and outer limits? (the old ones) i liked those when i was a kid. there was an outer limits with a head in a jar that left quite an impression on me.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    x-files!!!!!
  • Reply 14 of 63
  • Reply 15 of 63
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Red Dwarf, hands down.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    The X-Files
  • Reply 17 of 63
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Darn you aquafire! You made me think about this.

I would have to say Firefly was the best Sci-fi in a long time since it had lots of original humor. (Something you don't see on TV now) But it was already canceled so that doesn't count.

Best Sci-fi of all time would be "Sliders". All episodes before the professor died. Then it sucked and moved to cable.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Doctor Who.

(bye bye Red Dwarf, it was a hard decision....)
  • Reply 19 of 63
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Space: Above and Beyond

I would have said Farscape, but it's pretty close to the end of its run while SAAB only had a year to develop. So I gave it to SAAB.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member

Macgyver says: SG-1