Studio Displays...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Could someone please explain why Apple's current displays are so thick? Compared to most other modern LCD's, Apple's are quite thick...

I know they have USB build-in, but that shouldnt take out much room!?

And the iBook's/PowerBook's are also pretty thin....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Could someone please explain why Apple's current displays are so thick? Compared to most other modern LCD's, Apple's are quite thick...

I know they have USB build-in, but that shouldnt take out much room!?

And the iBook's/PowerBook's are also pretty thin....

I havent looked closely at them in person, but looking at the manual i see that the USB ports are perpendicular, and behind the LCD pannel. The female USB plug on the Apple keyboard is aproximatly 1 1/8" deep, add some clearance (1/8"?) and the thinkness of the LCD panel and backlights and you probably have the depth of the monitor.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The thickness, in my opinion, isn't half as bad as the huge bezel.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I would think that on any future display designs from Apple that the USB ports - instead of facing backward and going "in" to the display should be a) mounted on the side somehow and b) with the ports facing out to the left or right (think iBook and PowerBook...hell, think iMac classic, iMac DV and eMac while you're at it!).

Easy access, might allow for a thinner case, etc.

Works on the G5 (despite tons of people here saying to me "no, they shouldn't put USB and FireWire ports on the front of the towers...ruins the clean look!").

No it doesn't AND it's about 1,000 times more convenient (and likely to be used more).

Hope any new displays keep this in mind.

And to be honest, I'd hope that any future revision/tweak of the G4 iMac takes one of the three USB ports on the back of the dome and moves it to the front, underneath the drive. Same with one of the FireWire ports. Put them on front, where...uh, people can actually REACH them with some level of ease, quickness and convenience!

• Reply 4 of 12
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Current Hardware...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

The thickness, in my opinion, isn't half as bad as the huge bezel.

AMEN RA! I've mentioned this in a few other threads before, but, as a *prosumer* (as Apple would likely label me) the current displays are wasting entirely too much room from side-to-side. Apple, heed my pleas....1/4"....maybe even 1/2"...but NOT 1 1/2" (x2 between multiple monitors)!!!

Please. I'll buy as many 23-30's as you want...just let me be able to slide my mouse between the damn things!

*curls into fetal position and sobs*
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ironkneeironknee Posts: 76member
    the bezel thing

as a graphic designer, the current crop of bezel thickness is usefull when color correcting.

Having the nutral color around the image makes it easier to color correct.

in other words, if apple makes the bezel thinner, it may be a bad thing for color people

\
  • Reply 7 of 12
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    'Color People" still use CRTs. I can't imagine how an inch and a half of pinstripes are useful for those who try to adjust color on an LCD anyways.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    ironkneeironknee Posts: 76member
    you may be right...just a thought
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ironknee

the bezel thing

...if apple makes the bezel thinner, it may be a bad thing for color people

Couldn't color people move the displays as far apart as they wish?

I'm with trim and slim.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bodhi

Current Hardware...

Sorry... Just thought that maybe the next displays might be thinner.. And ended up in future hardware... Blah.. My mistake...

Quote:

Originally posted by ironknee

the bezel thing

as a graphic designer, the current crop of bezel thickness is usefull when color correcting.

Having the nutral color around the image makes it easier to color correct.

in other words, if apple makes the bezel thinner, it may be a bad thing for color people

\

Nice to know... But what about those guys using Powerbooks when on the run?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    The thickness may be your last concern. They all seem to die within a few year so get ready to replace or fix your current apple display. Fixing it is a flat rate around $500
  • Reply 12 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Shut up.