Jaguar installer wont recognize any of my hard drives..

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So Im trying to reinstall Jaguar on my WD 160GB hard drive...and when I go to select a volume to install it on neither this or the original 80 GB drive that came with my machine show up. I set the jumpers with the original hard drive on its original settings and the new 160 GB I put the pin in the middle 2 holes to set it as master in a dual drive display. Went into OS 9 system profiler and it didnt recognize any of my devices either. Is my hard drive jumper settings wrong or is something else messed up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Try opening Disk Utility or wtf it's called and reformat those drives if possible. The should show up...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Maybe I shouldve stated this before....they dont show up in Disk Utility
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Ok I got them showing up in Disk Utility now...I cant see where it says to format them.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Where it says Erase...thats reformat? I cant erase the original drive...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    nm Im stupid I got it lol
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I just installed Jaguar on the new hard drive and its not working right...the system doesnt load up and it just keeps the beach ball spinning forever...dont think its gonna load period. Also the other hard drive wont mount on the desktop so I cant get files from it...

The saga continues...this thing is completely ****ed...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Verbal Assassin

I just installed Jaguar on the new hard drive and its not working right...the system doesnt load up and it just keeps the beach ball spinning forever...dont think its gonna load period. Also the other hard drive wont mount on the desktop so I cant get files from it...

The saga continues...this thing is completely ****ed...

Change the jumper to something else, experiment. I have found this to be the best way to get a new drive to work in a mac. Usually I start with no jumper.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Considering the problems you've had, is it not a distinct possibility that your HD is ****ed? and if so, are you not wasting valuable time in trying to install anything on it?

If I were you I'd let go of that drive. If the drive is not the prob the cable is. If the cable is not the prob, the ATA controller is. Or the motherboard.

I seriously doubt your problems are software based.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    oops, just saw your other thread. It's a new drive. What ATA interface (eg: ATA4?) does you tower have? What is the Max. size HD (in GB) supported by that version of ATA?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    yea i got the jumper setting right. i dont know what type of ATA interface it is...i have a QS DP 1 Ghz G4 tower...so maybe you know. its installed on top of my original hard drive.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Verbal Assassin

yea i got the jumper setting right. i dont know what type of ATA interface it is...i have a QS DP 1 Ghz G4 tower...so maybe you know. its installed on top of my original hard drive.

here are a couple things that might help: keyword "research"; forums are a great way to research but be sure to go to the manufacturers pages etc on specifications and such.

(don't get me wrong, I don't mean to talk down to you, just try this workflow)

Find your hard drive model numbers go to the manufacturers website and punch them in and find the spec sheets on setting jumpers for each particular drive. I personally would rather rtfm than expiriment with moving jumpers and pulling in and out the damn power cable which has lent to a whole bunh of bloody scars on my fingers... ("D4MN you who designed the power cable!")

Pick one of the drives, set it to "master", the other; "slave". Remove any third party cards or add-ons you have attached to your station. Grab the jaguar boot CD and boot from it and wipe both your drives. (install 9 drivers if you want to boot from 9 on a particular drive. Then run the installer.

hope things work out for you... and by the way, what happened to all of your data?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    All I mean is, if you have UDMA66, and the drive is above, I forget, but let's say 100MB, the drive may be too large for the IDE interface to properly address. This is all just a wild guess as to the root of your probs.