PrintJobMgr uses 98% CPU after 10.2.6 update!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Running a G4-upgraded B&W in Photoshop 7.0.1 will all updates. This problem first appeared immediately after updating from 10.2.5 to 10.2.6.

When printing from Photoshop to my Epson 1270, entire system slows to a crawl, including printer. A look at the Process viewer shows the following:

1. Photoshop using extremely high percentage (70%-90%) of CPU while spooling.

2. When printing starts, a process called PrintJobMgr shows same high CPU usage, or worse, up to 98%.

3. You can imagine what happens when I try to spool another job while the first one is printing!

4. While investigating this in the Process Viewer, using the "Find" field to narrow the list, a "mystery" process popped up for a while named "???". According to the Process Viewer, ??? was using 1488% CPU!

5. I have done basic troubleshooting such as Repair Permissions, fsck-y, Disk Warrior, swap out usb cables, switch usb ports, bypass usb hub, etc.

Since I have seen no other reports of this problem anywhere online, I am wondering if it is specific to my setup. I read MacFixit & many forums all the time, and posted this in several places with no response. Has anyone seen this issue? Any troubleshooting suggestions? Could it be a wierd USB issue with difficulty communicating with the printer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    have you tried killing the weird process from the terminal?

Code:

kill ####

####=the PID # you get from top

if that doesn't work.. try sudo kill...

if you can kill it and it still occurs... maybe a reinstall of the system?

keep an eye on top and keep tabs on weird processes you have going on in your machine...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Paul,

Thanks for your suggestions. I don't understand "Top" yet, but I will investigate. The wierd ??? process didn't stay onscreen long enough to investigate, maybe 20 seconds. I just booted into a clone of my old 10.2.5 system on another drive to see if the update was the problem, and the problem was there, too! Now I am really puzzled.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    uh huh....

yeah seems like something got weird...

top is just a simple terminal command to let you see the currently running processes... basically it is the same thing as the process viewer... all you have to do is type
    Code:

into the terminal and you will see what I mean...

now type
    Code:

q

to get out of top and you can quit the terminal... (or kill a certain process that is eating your CPU thats what I mainly use top for so that is why I suggested it...)

if you don't see anything weird running in the background...

how hard would it be for you to do a reinstall?

when you installed jag did you do a clean install or an upgrade?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I wiped my hard drive before installing Jaguar. Reinstalling my system would be a pain, but I could wipe & reinstall Jaguar on the cloned drive, I imagine, just to test if it makes a difference. The problem absolutely for sure did not exist before the 10.2.6 update, & equally for sure existed immediately afterward, yet booting from a clone of my old system did not make it go away. That almost suggests hardware trouble. I was one of the people who had usb trouble with the 10.2.5 update. I wonder if this could be another stray usb failure. In my case, the 10.2.5 update literally fried the usb ports on my graphic arts monitor, a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060u that was only 3 months old.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    It isn't a hardware problem. I booted into OS 9.2.2 and printed like wildfire while spooling a second print. This is OS X printing bugginess. Panther had better pull it together a lot more for printing.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by garyp

It isn't a hardware problem. I booted into OS 9.2.2 and printed like wildfire while spooling a second print. This is OS X printing bugginess. Panther had better pull it together a lot more for printing.

I have an odd Question. Is the printer USB2?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

I have an odd Question. Is the printer USB2?

The Printer is USB1, an Epson 1270 from the year 2000.