iFlicks

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
saw this on macrumors, not talked about here yet:

++++++

A brief Bloomberg blurb notes an interesting possibility:

Apple Computer Inc., maker of the iMac personal computer, may start to sell movies online after the success of its iTunes music technology, Berliner Zeitung said, citing Pascal Cagni, the company's Vice President, Europe.

++++++

how long would it take to transfer via dsl/cable modem?

sounds like this would definitely add to the digital hub experience - as one time view "rental" or purchase

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Unfortuntely, or fortunately, Mr. Cagni has been quoted in the European press in the past. He always denies saying what they publish. Don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    at the same time, this does seem to be the way things are eventually headed. Netflix is doing it in a very primitive form (i.e., the U.S. mail), and as bandwidth increases (although it's crawling at this point) it will definitely become the norm at some point down the road, and it seems that with Apple's success with the record industry and iTunes, they would be in a real position to offer their services to the movie studios as well.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I see it as being possible. The format could use a subset of the Pixlet codec. We wouldn't need HD quality but just a little less. That would keep downloads from taking forever.

Next you would need to have a nice infrastructure setup. There couldn't be outages or slowdowns affecting the movie. Apple would be wise to use Tech like Bit Torrent or something. Your average movie is 90+ minutes so backround downloading would happen as you started watching the movie.

Oh yeah and the movies would have to be no more than $1.99
  • Reply 4 of 9
    i had forgotten about that pixlet codec SJ demoed at WWDC and how great he thought it was - also, isn't the G5 capable of Dolby 5.1 surround sound? All that would tie in pretty well.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Unfortuntely, or fortunately, Mr. Cagni has been quoted in the European press in the past. He always denies saying what they publish. Don't hold your breath.

this was a "real" interview of mr cagni with berliner zeitung

http://www.berlinonline.de/berliner-...ft/260312.html

quote:

"? Glauben Sie, Apple wird eines Tages etwas Ähnliches für Filme anbieten wie den Music Store für Musik?

Sie meinen einen Internet-Verkaufsladen für Videos?

Ja.

Das kann ich Ihnen nicht sagen. Es ist aber sicherlich eine gute Idee.

?"

end of quote

for the german challanged of us ;-):

bz:

do you believe, one day apple will start something simliar as the itm for movies?

cagni:

you mean, an internet shop for videos?

bz:

yes

cagni:

i can't tell you. but this is for sure a good idea.

sorry, but this is blabla - a journalist who has no idea of technic, broadband etc. asks a question which is "right" (first music, then movies), and mr cagni has to answer this question in some way.

let's get back to business.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by son of Gib

saw this on macrumors, not talked about here yet:

++++++

A brief Bloomberg blurb notes an interesting possibility:

Apple Computer Inc., maker of the iMac personal computer, may start to sell movies online after the success of its iTunes music technology, Berliner Zeitung said, citing Pascal Cagni, the company's Vice President, Europe.

++++++

how long would it take to transfer via dsl/cable modem?

sounds like this would definitely add to the digital hub experience - as one time view "rental" or purchase

i've talked about it here before...though when I talked about it everyone disagreed with me!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    You people are hung up on Pixlet; a two-hour movie in Pixlet format would be huuuuge (think 7GB or more).

A two-hour movie in H.264/AAC might be as small as 1GB, though...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by son of Gib

i had forgotten about that pixlet codec SJ demoed at WWDC and how great he thought it was - also, isn't the G5 capable of Dolby 5.1 surround sound? All that would tie in pretty well.

pixlet is a lossless codec meant for production studios. NOT for internet transfers

an MPEG 4 movie with AAC audio could be around 700MB and AAC supports multichannel audio so you could even transfer the 5.1 sound in that.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

pixlet is a lossless codec meant for production studios. NOT for internet transfers

an MPEG 4 movie with AAC audio could be around 700MB and AAC supports multichannel audio so you could even transfer the 5.1 sound in that.

good somone shot down their idea like mine

yeah but i did'nt even know about H.264 or whatever...the currently method for mp4 video is H.263?