America's Army

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
America's Army! Whoo-hoo!

Looks cool! Uses the UT 2003 engine!

Its FREE! $0.00! Even YOU can afford that!

It was made by the US Army! What?

Why is our government making video games??? and FPS games no less? Isn't this creepy? WTF?

I loved Ghost Recon, so I expect AA to be a blast, but I have trouble understanding why Uncle Sam is giving me free killing games. Will there be an Iraq expansion pack soon? Maybe a Libera Assault mission?

My friend's dad used to say "Boy, if you dont quit playin' them video games I'm gonna make you join the Army!" OK, dad, whatever.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    is it out yet?!
  • Reply 3 of 29
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    haha the game does two things, it simulates real scenerios and records your actiosn to figure out possible tactic optoins and records your tactics so it knows if your good for the army or not

they figure the'll have all the scenerios mapped out with that many people playing so the'll know the BEST way to enter a situation

the whole game was created to crunch numbers...its as simple as that

on a less cynical note...~7mill for a game...i like that, and its out for mac (just slighlty over a yr later too!)
  • Reply 5 of 29
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Any one seen 'The Last Starfighter'?

The US army must have.

In the movie, an arcade game is used to find the person most capable of saving the earth from aliens, obviously.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 7 of 29

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    its here!

http://www.americasarmy.com/archives...le_for_mac.php

$5.95 i thought it was a free download?
  • Reply 9 of 29
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    whats up with that

I like how they got that square apple banner on the side of there home page http://www.americasarmy.com/ . Its like they are proud to have a mac version.

theres two ways to take this sentence though:

Quote:

Mac gamers are now able to experience the thrilling virtual Army missions that more than 1.8 million PC gamers have enjoyed for the past year.

So everyone was having fun for the past year cept us
  • Reply 10 of 29
    they are saying their game is fun, but we havn't had the change to have fun cuz we had no game
  • Reply 11 of 29
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    It is out now. Go get it.

http://www.americasarmy.com
  • Reply 12 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How is it free? I only see the buy button. Is it released to BitTorrent?
  • Reply 13 of 29
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Minimum requirement is a 700mHz G4? Yikes. So much for my iBook. I'll be too old to get drafted in a month, anyway.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Meh. Desktops are for gaming. Anyone tried it with a mini Powerbook by any chance?

I still don't see how to download it.

They seem very proud to carry a Mac version. But note to the idiot webmaster, it's not a MAC. DUH.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    So does anyone have it?
  • Reply 16 of 29
    I`m getting it now, About 27 minutes left, I found the torrent

There is a link to it in the americasarmy.com mac forum.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    This is great. Now I can feel the thrill of killing for, taking orders from, and dying for the economic interests of men in Washington that have never been in combat. I can't wait for the add on packs like 'Spousal Notification' where you have to dodge angry kids to deliver a death certificate to the weeping wife and mother. Oh, and 'Mystery War Syndrome' where you have to navigate the Vetreran's Affairs office to receive your treatment for the mystery disease affecting troops from your last deployment. Get ready for levels of bureaurcracy drones denying you are even sick, until you get to the 'boss' who after defeat finally gives you your wheelchair and $650/mo stipend.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

This is great. .....

hahahahahaha.

You forgot the lingering psychological aftereffects expansion pack and the much anticipated "civilian bystander" observation mode.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    yes and the embedded reporter expansion pack. You can either play as the reporter dodging bullets, reporting the facts, keeping your camera man alive. Or have a reporter embedded in your unit. You must keep him alive while simultaneously making sure he doesn't report any secret plans or locations. Also you must refrain from killing any women or small children while the camera is on you.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member

brings to mind the French version discussed in this thread