itunes permission crap

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just put a cd in my computer, to import, and i clicked import in itunes, and a dialog box pos up that says, "Warning! An "Access Privileges" error occurred while converting the file "song title"

WHAT DO I DO?! i've had other itunes privilege problems... like I have acquisition, and when it finishes downloading, it automatically adds to itunes... and it wouldn't add it because i didn't have privilege earlier... (yes, i had automatically organize my itunes music folder selected)

so what preference file, or access stuff can i fix? i recently had to make myself a new user, and I am still dealing with transferring myself as the new owner of all my files... ARDUOUS!!

please help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsfmark

I just put a cd in my computer, to import, and i clicked import in itunes, and a dialog box pos up that says, "Warning! An "Access Privileges" error occurred while converting the file "song title"

WHAT DO I DO?! i've had other itunes privilege problems... like I have acquisition, and when it finishes downloading, it automatically adds to itunes... and it wouldn't add it because i didn't have privilege earlier... (yes, i had automatically organize my itunes music folder selected)

so what preference file, or access stuff can i fix? i recently had to make myself a new user, and I am still dealing with transferring myself as the new owner of all my files... ARDUOUS!!

please help!

Bing bing bing!

That's it. When you create a new user, that new user owns your new files, or any new files it creates, while the old files/folders from your old account are owned by the old user.

Log in as an Adminstrator account. Select your iTunes folder in the Finder, then Cmd-I for Get Info. Select the 'Ownership and Permissions' pane, click the little lock (enter password if necessary), then choose a new owner, to make it your new account. Click 'Apply to enclosed items...'.

Now all your iTunes folders, etc will be owned by your new account, and your new account can add songs to iTunes. Note that this prevents your old account from doing so, so it's a one-way trip. (Unless you change the owner back, using the above.)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    well... i tried that... and i tried to import a different cd, and it worked... but then i retried the original cd... (the mars volta -- de-loused in the comatorium) and it still won't work... could this possibly be a copy protected cd that works on a mac?

side note, i also bought jason mraz today, and it does the same thing... is it possible that they are both copy protected?

any ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    so no one has any insight as to why the new Mars Volta cd and the new Jason Mraz cd won't import to itunes? i am away from home with my several jaguar macs, so i can't try to import it on another computer... ugh... i could always try the genius bar at the apple store here... just such a drive...

thanks anyway everyone