rodney o lain

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i recall reading about the mac/apple columnist Rodney O Lain and had a a bookmark to www.ibrotha.com. that site no longer points to anything mac-related. does anyone know what happened? i assume no one renewed the domain...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Rodney O. Lain committed suicide a year or so ago.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    yeah June 16th 2002 and then on June 29 Gene Kan (whose blog is still active)

http://thisplacesucks.blogspot.com/2...s_archive.html

also took his own life. i never think i ll understand suicide. is the rate of suicide higher than average inside the tech industry? i know that is a leap, but i ve spent some time thinking about these two cases.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3macboy

i recall reading about the mac/apple columnist Rodney O Lain and had a a bookmark to www.ibrotha.com. that site no longer points to anything mac-related. does anyone know what happened? i assume no one renewed the domain...

He was a provocative writer. He inspired my writing at a time I needed it, too. It's too bad...
  • Reply 4 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

...on June 29 Gene Kan (whose blog is still active)

http://thisplacesucks.blogspot.com/2...s_archive.html

also took his own life. i never think i ll understand suicide. is the rate of suicide higher than average inside the tech industry? i know that is a leap, but i ve spent some time thinking about these two cases.

Wow, that's the first time I've seen Kan's blog...seems he had lots of issues...

I'd guess the rate of tech industry suicides doesn't deviate much from the norm. Writers, on the other hand, usually have tons of things they want to get off their mind. I'd guess I'd lump bloggers into that category too. Bloggers typically rant aimlessly about anything they can think of. That seems like an unhealthy practice to me.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I didn't always read his stuff but it was often fun to read.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Eugene - I have to disagree with you. Blogging is catharsis Ranting (artistically even) does no harm.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Eugene - I have to disagree with you. Blogging is catharsis Ranting (artistically even) does no harm.

Not really true. Often, things like journaling (when you're in a depressed state) can become like ruminating, making the depression even worse. Trust me, I've seen it. If the journaling has a point or the person writing also talks about what is going well, it can be better, but that doesn't usually happen.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Yeah, it's like people who throw things to "blow off steam." It really just makes them angrier.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Something struck me on a slashdot story yesterday. AOL is including a new features called "journals" (blogs) and it just hit me (duh i know) why i hate the term blog. its just a fancy name for "journal" even worse its a fancy name for ...

"Dear Diary..."

Ewwwww.... i look at all bloggers in a different light now...

\

blah blah i know someone will say this person's journal is top notch. and you would be correct. but they make up a very few percent and most are electofied versions of "Dear diary..."
  • Reply 10 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    This one of my favorite blogs and it doesn't strike me as "dear diary".

http://www.overlawyered.com/
  • Reply 11 of 17
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Quote:

i know someone will say this person's journal is top notch

See i told you.

Of course there are quality blogs.

But most are "dear diaries" whose first six letters all happen to begin with "<html>"
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

i never think i ll understand suicide. is the rate of suicide higher than average inside the tech industry? i know that is a leap, but i ve spent some time thinking about these two cases.

Well, unfortunately, I think to really understand it you have to of been there. I made attempts on my own life when I was younger, so I can understand why somebody would want to. When people I know of do, I feel I can really relate to why they did, and in turn, accept it. Only because I was there.

It is, admittedly, something I do not think I will ever seriously consider again.

If you are genuinely interested in the topic, and would like to try and understand suicide better, I would like to recommend a book. Night Falls Fast by Dr. Kay Redfield Jameson. It's probably one of the best books I have ever read about suicide, and I highly recommend it. It is just an all around excellent read.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Not really true. Often, things like journaling (when you're in a depressed state) can become like ruminating, making the depression even worse. Trust me, I've seen it. If the journaling has a point or the person writing also talks about what is going well, it can be better, but that doesn't usually happen.

I think combined with regular therapy, a journal can be a healthy thing.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

That's expensive!
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Yup, it can. I've used it with my clients. Something more structured is generally better, but some people don't really like that.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Yup, it can. I've used it with my clients. Something more structured is generally better, but some people don't really like that.

So people pay you to tell them to write in a diary?
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

So people pay you to tell them to write in a diary?

Well, not me directly. I'm still "in training" so they pay my supervisors. $150/hr. Not too bad, eh?