Free iPod with VW New Beetle

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Volkswagen and Apple today announced a promotion where you get a free 10GB iPod and a "connectivity kit" if you buy a (non-convertible) 2003 New Beetle. The VWVortex website has the full press release.

Looks good to me! I wonder whether this "connectivity kit" is available separately. A well-integrated car solution is one of the elements that has been holding up my iPod purchase.

Escher

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    Thats pretty cool.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    nice...i dont like beetles at all but whatever apple can do is awesome

the iPod is really apple's little ace up their sleeve
  • Reply 3 of 18
    for some reason, Apple and VW has always seemed to go hand in hand
  • Reply 4 of 18
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    we just bought a new car, and the vw beetle was in our top three the whole way... WHY couldn't they have announced this two or three weeks ago?!? don't they realize that i need both of these?!? bastards...
  • Reply 5 of 18
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    The honda element car has an auxilary jack for plugging mp3 players in. . .

It would be pretty cool if they gave out free iPods, or if VW put auxilary jacks in their cars.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    hadrianhadrian Posts: 40member
    It would be nice if Apple concentrated on hitting stock levels of 30GB iPods in the UK to satisfy back orders before they give them away.

Even the Apple Store UK has been dry for weeks (mine has been on order since with them since 12th June and they still quote 10 days delivery!).

I actually have three on order with different suppliers, one of which has been on back order since they started to run down supplies of the 20GB model, then converting the order to the 30GB model once it was announced.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Ehhhhh.

They should have done this with the Mini Cooper. Same price. A lot more sexy and still hot! Beetles are so yesterday....8)
  • Reply 8 of 18
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hadrian

It would be nice if Apple concentrated on hitting stock levels of 30GB iPods in the UK to satisfy back orders before they give them away.

Even the Apple Store UK has been dry for weeks (mine has been on order since with them since 12th June and they still quote 10 days delivery!).

I actually have three on order with different suppliers, one of which has been on back order since they started to run down supplies of the 20GB model, then converting the order to the 30GB model once it was announced.

It's backordered everywhere (go from 80k a quarter to 300k a quarter, go figure). I know some people in the US who have been waiting for over a month and have a quote date sometime in late August/early September.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Ehhhhh.

They should have done this with the Mini Cooper. Same price. A lot more sexy and still hot! Beetles are so yesterday....8)

Except in the Mini Cooper your doomed if you get hit and are a passenger in the back seat. At least the New Beetle has something in back (a trunk) to cusion the blow. Just wish it had all the options of the Mini Cooper.

Being both a Volkswagen and an Apple fan I would love to have one of these custom engraved VW iPods!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Being both a Volkswagen and an Apple fan I would love to have one of these custom engraved VW iPods!

Let's hope Apple and VW make the custom "Drivers Wanted" iPod(s) and connection kit available separately, i.e. without New Beetle, at some point in the future.

BTW: Apple has posted a special Pods Unite website with the TV commercial and a detailed description (incl. Flash demo) of how it all works. It looks like it's just a cassette adapter. They really should have worked on a line-in solution, and I hope they will do so in the future.

Escher
  • Reply 11 of 18
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Ooh, they have free Volkswageny MP3s for us.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    hadrianhadrian Posts: 40member
    Well guys, I dont suppose for one minute it was because of my rant on this and a number of other places about supply of 30GB iPod's, but I have been informed today that there are 350 confirmed as coming into one of Apple's main UK distributor's on Wednesday of next week.

My contact was very forthright in confirming this quoting the source at the distributor as having a shipment or consignment number from Apple as 'certain that it will happen', as these are only issued once shipment is underway.

Watch this space.....
  • Reply 13 of 18
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Would be great to get the connection kit.

I think I have seen the iPod stand for the car somewhere else, but cannot remember where.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    The little iPod/VW microsite is the only thing I have found that does work in Safari but not in IE
  • Reply 15 of 18
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    I recently got the Dr Bott's accessory kit. Changed the minidisk player back to a tape player and hey presto i can now listen to 10gb of random mp3's whilst driving around. The only problem being it doesn't have a holder for the ipod so i just sit it in the ash tray. Oh and yes i drive a Vw but a Golf not a Beetle.

The kit also contains the cables for home stereo's too. Man i love my ipod.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bka77

Would be great to get the connection kit.

I think I have seen the iPod stand for the car somewhere else, but cannot remember where.

Here's a similar one: http://www.welovemacs.com/001cm330.html

The Apple/VW one might be custom made.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Let's hope Apple and VW make the custom "Drivers Wanted" iPod(s) and connection kit available separately, i.e. without New Beetle, at some point in the future.

BTW: Apple has posted a special Pods Unite website with the TV commercial and a detailed description (incl. Flash demo) of how it all works. It looks like it's just a cassette adapter. They really should have worked on a line-in solution, and I hope they will do so in the future.

Escher

Yes this is a shame.

PS: Notice the warning Powerdoc What that has to do with the iPod I don´t know
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Escher

I thought I "recognized" you over at VWVortex. Sadly, it doesn't look like they have any interest in selling the kit separately. Geez, all I want it the custom engraved iPod melding together two of my favorite companies. I'm willing to pay $600 for the kit in order to get it if anyone's interested though I suppose anyone reading these boards would be keeping it for themselves. Still, it is as free incentive so a quick way to make $600 bucks. Why do they have to make it so difficult for me? And what about all the current New Beetle owners?