Gun Control : For & Against

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    there may always be wingnut fringe groups and malcontent radicals

armed wingnut fringe groups are a whole other risk.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Anyone seen Bowling for Columbine? Great film.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    I can only say that I live in Canada. We play nice up here.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

I can only say that I live in Canada. We play nice up here.

Yeah sure...\

But just in case..

" Ban Hockey sticks "
  • Reply 25 of 39
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Originally posted by Bunge

Quote:

Hell, it's scary enough that the police and military are mostly republican already.

That would be the fault of the Carter and Clinton administrations for putting themselves in opposition against the military leadership too often, hence making the Dems look anti-military. Plus the military cutbacks made by the Clinton Admin wasn't the big dollar Military contracts for newer,faster weapons but in the quality of living for the soldier. Cutting the corporate interest in the military? Political Suicide.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Wow. A gun control thread in AO that hasn't degraded into an all-out flame war?

C'mon people... argue... or something...

FWIW, whatever system Canada has in place (I don't know and I'm Canadian... sad isn't it?) seems to work pretty well. You can have guns, but with tight restrictions and waving one about is a HUGE offense. Hell, waving a green bar of Irish Ring soap about as if it were a gun is a huge offense...

I never really considered the 'distrust of the gov't' perspective. At first I thought Thuh Freak was a bearded survivalist weirdo commando living in rural Idaho, but then everyone started to agree w/ him.

It has merit.

FWIW, I think 'everyone should have guns to keep everyone in check' is wack bullshit. People would get shot over fender benders, bar fights, etc.

And kids growing up around guns gives me chills.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    I grew up around guns. Though I've never fired one at a living thing. Just targets of paper wood and sheet metal. I even own 4 guns, I've never fired any of them, even for target practice.

I do believe in the 2nd Admendment, but I also value life and would not ever want to be in the position of deciding to take another person's life. Though there are some SOBs I'd really love to gut with my sword.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    In a sense, encouraging civilians to take up arms in an armed struggle, sets a dangerous precedent. There are reasons for and against.

Outside of the American realm, other countries are plagued by "militias " who usurp power from otherwise legitimate governments. Nothing speaks as loudly, or cowers a population so quickly as the threat of a gun being pointed at you or your loved ones.

Palestinians are currently caught up in this struggle between the gun and the ballot.

On the one hand, they want legitimate representative government that has been democratically elected; while on the other side, their history is one of militias outside the rule of law..

There is a point in any political / social struggle where the gun has to be relinquished in the interest of greater peace, safety and co-operation.

That is why I think gun's should only be in the hands of elected components of a democratically popular government. otherwise it conflicts with the establishment of rule by law & not ( as was previously ) by the gun.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    I do have to state though that in Nazi Germany one of the first things the Nazis did was disarm the populace. We know how great the Nazis were.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

I do have to state though that in Nazi Germany one of the first things the Nazis did was disarm the populace. We know how great the Nazis were.

I knew I'd get " shot " for using that example. but I had to be consistent..

PS Stalin invoked the same laws: as did Mao..

But then So has Australia, & England, etc

Even so, It's the " militias " that are fundamentally more difficult to contain and far more corrosive to peaceful society.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    great pun

I think why the freedom from gun control laws has not destabalized our gov. is that on the most part even people who are distrustful of our gov are satisfied w/ their quality of life, and ones who aren't generally have their fears turned outward, not towards the ideals of the gov system, Americans have a tremendous amount of national pride, even the skeptical ones.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

great pun

I think why the freedom from gun control laws has not destabalized our gov. is that on the most part even people who are distrustful of our gov are satisfied w/ their quality of life, and ones who aren't generally have their fears turned outward, not towards the ideals of the gov system, Americans have a tremendous amount of national pride, even the skeptical ones.

Good points.

And yes, the Romans figured that if you could keep the poulace fed and entertained then you would maintain the "status quo "

Breads & circuses have been the staple deception diet of millenia..

Ps I've been shot at three times in my life..each one was damm scary as all hell...

And in my Uniform days, I got to fire 303's (kicked like mules), M-16's ( best ever ), Bren Gun ( heavy calibre machine gun ) & other odds & sods...

But I quickly grew out of gun culture..sold mine ages and ages ago...
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

January 30th, 1933

Adolf Hitler is appointed chancellor by Reich-President Paul von Hindenburg.

February 27th, 1933 \t

?Somebody? sets the Reichstag on fire, Hitler accuses the Communists. Rounding up of numerous political opponents.

March 20th, 1933

Grand opening of the concentration camp of Dachau, others soon follow.

March 23, 1933

The new Reichstag passes the Ermächtigungsgesetz or ?enabling law?, giving the government the absolute power to pass laws for a defined period of time, legally granting Hitler absolute dictatorial powers; some note the absence of opposition deputies (some fled, some were locked up, some were dead).

June 2nd, 1933

Adolf Hitler adds more Nazis to his government.

June 1933

All political parties other than the Nazi parti are outlawed.

March 16th, 1934

Adolf Hitler declares the size of the German Army to be incrased.

April 4th, 1934

Hitler appoints Heinrich Himmler chief of the Gestapo. \t

June 29 th, 1934

Purge of the S.A. (Sturm Abteilung) known as the Night of the Long Knives.

August 2nd, 1934

Hindenburg dies and Adolf Hitler becomes president as well as chancellor, he soon shortens his titles to a single, shorter, catchier one: ?Führer?.

Some four years pass?

March 18th, 1938

Enactment of the Waffengesetz or ?weapon law?.

Not quite among the first things.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    I don't trust a government who does not trust me (any law abiding citizen) with a gun.

Being from Massachusetts I can still say Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car than I have with my guns.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Ps I've been shot at three times in my life..each one was damm scary as all hell...

I've been shot at once, and threatened with a gun once. Both times were cops.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I've been shot at once, and threatened with a gun once. Both times were cops.

Well, don't wear this shirt and maybe you won't get shot at:

• Reply 37 of 39
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

I grew up around guns. Though I've never fired one at a living thing. Just targets of paper wood and sheet metal. I even own 4 guns, I've never fired any of them, even for target practice.

I do believe in the 2nd Admendment, but I also value life and would not ever want to be in the position of deciding to take another person's life. Though there are some SOBs I'd really love to gut with my sword.

Right on brotha! I was a crack shot with the 12 gauge in Scouts, first time I was 29 out of 30. It's not like I haven't enjoyed sport shooting. Never shot anything live though. No desire too, even though I enjoyed venison sausage on campouts. But it seems like the only legal point for civilian guns is a niche hick sport and self defense. Hunting is important because *!#*$%ing hunters killed off many natural predators in the first place. Sport shooting is a fun recreation. But do gun people really need to get so righteous, especially about self defense? Lots of times the gun is turned around on them. Anyway guns should be legal but like the a childless parent in Bowling pointed out, a Tech 9 is not used to hunt deer! We need better enforcement of current laws and an end to assault weapons and those Southern loopholes like gun shows. People need to care more too; the part in Bowling for Columbine where he tries to talk to Dick Clark and Dick (appropriate name for him, no offense to anyone here named after this jerk) slams the van door on him astonished me. The beginning where he walks in very shady looking to a bank giving away free guns with accounts is hilariously sad too. Right after Columbine.

To be fair, this site has been brought to my attention, and both

http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

Quote:

Wow. A gun control thread in AO that hasn't degraded into an all-out flame war?

Let's get ready to ruuuuuuuumble!
  • Reply 38 of 39
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Well, don't wear this shir...

• Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

That's pretty tacky even for BR