Apple iPod auto dock?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
According to the blurb on Maccentral, the iPod-VW kit is going to be worth $600. $400 of that is going to be the 15GB iPod. Will the rest be an innovative integration device or will it just be the standard car adaptor and FM transmitter?

$200 seems like too much for a car adapter and transmitter, but is it enough for anything good?

What could Apple and VW do for $200? It would be nice if you could select play lists using your voice, but could that be done cheaply? What about a driver-friendly display and controls so that you could select songs and playlists safely while driving? What about an in-dash dock?

I'm not just asking about what the upcoming product might be, but also about what Apple could do in the future to really make the iPod a fixture in the American automotive market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by joesph mother

What about an in-dash dock?

Ding Ding Ding! this would be my bet.

maybe eventually as ubiquitously beetle as the bud vase
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    well then the need iTMS for windows so wintel users can get songs and load them into their vw
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bperkinsbperkins Posts: 110member
    Looks to be a innovative integration device from this picture:

Article
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by bperkins

Looks to be a innovative integration device from this picture:

Article

Actually, this is less than what I was hoping for. It just looks like an iPod on an arm. I was hoping for something that did not merely hold the iPod, but that would add functionality, or at least facilitate use for a driver wanting to search for a song without taking their eyes off the road for too long.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Jamie/vwvortex1 @ vwvortex.com (he's extremely in the know):

The way this promotion works is if you purchase a New Beetle coupe you get a free 15 gig iPod with the VW logo and Drivers Wanted engraved on the back, and the connection kit and other goodies. After you take delivery of the car there is a website where owners can enter their VIN and the whole package gets sent out and on their porch within 48 hours.

The mounting kit is currently only for the Beetle with the newer swivel mount cupholders and is made by Belkin for VWoA. It is only a cassette tape adapter right now (meaning it plays through the tape player), but VW and Apple are working on a better solution. Apparently Steve Jobs himself is involved in this directly (go figure).

Rumor has it VW may offer this on more models in the future. There is also supposed to be some sort of dealership display for the iPod as well. All-in-all pretty darn cool.

Here's the link.

I was hoping for something cooler. It sounds like there's hope for the future, though!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sprockets

I was hoping for something cooler. It sounds like there's hope for the future, though!

my first car that I buy on my own (new) will have the "better solution"

it is great growing up in this time
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I've been preaching in dash iPod integration since the first iPod shipped. Glad to see that it might actually come to pass. Now if they could just use the iPod to store driving telemitry for processing later on your mac. Oooooh! Ultimate geekdom. Being able to analize your daily commute to see where you are wasting the most fuel. now all their missing is an airport connection kit to auto sync your car when you park in the garage.

OOOOHHHH even better! Upload your files to your car, drive to work. Then, mount you car on your desktop from your workstation and be able to access those files and listen to your music.

I better stop before I hurt myself