Powerbook G3 swap gone wrong, no chime, HELP!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here's the situation...

I bought an extra powerbook G3 to function as a software base station, print server, mp3 server, and a bunch of other goodies. Problem was the used pbook had a broken headphone jack and a crappy display. So I tried to swap out the little board that has the sound in/out and power jack between the good powerbook and the one destined to be a home server.

I've messed with the innards of pbook G3s before with no problem, but for some reason I managed to screw up both computers. Even when I put all the parts back to their original machines I can't get even the startup chime. The curious thing is that one of the hard drives will spin when I put it in either machine, but still no start up chime.

I've been trying to set this up for my parents, but so far I've only managed to screw up their good computer.

Help, Please!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The only time I screwed up my Powerbook was when I added more ram and unseated the main processor. It takes a lot of force to get it back in. Hard drive didn't work if I remember though. Well, until the processor started working.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

Here's the situation...

I bought an extra powerbook G3 to function as a software base station, print server, mp3 server, and a bunch of other goodies. Problem was the used pbook had a broken headphone jack and a crappy display. So I tried to swap out the little board that has the sound in/out and power jack between the good powerbook and the one destined to be a home server.

I've messed with the innards of pbook G3s before with no problem, but for some reason I managed to screw up both computers. Even when I put all the parts back to their original machines I can't get even the startup chime. The curious thing is that one of the hard drives will spin when I put it in either machine, but still no start up chime.

I've been trying to set this up for my parents, but so far I've only managed to screw up their good computer.

Help, Please!

How is the Item attached internally? Is it possible that the connector or something else has been flipped around and not placed back in the correct orientation?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    My only advice is to take them apart, put the good pieces back in the good computer, follow the Apple Service Repair manual to the letter in reassembling it, and ask yourself why you'd take apart a good powerbook and remove it's working parts to get a crappy reject one working(?). Because then you'd have two crappy wallstreets?!

I have two wallstreets myself. If you put them back exactly as the ASRM tells you to then it will work. You obviously overlooked something. As mentioned, it sounds like in one of them, the CPU is not properly seated.

In the other one, you likely didn't seat the sound board aka power board properly, but these are blind guesses.

Good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Can anyone tell me where to get the Apple Service Repair Manual. I assumed it was available as a pdf from Apple's web site, but I can't find it there.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Okay, first, never, EVER take apart a mac, ESPECIALLY a laptop, without the SRM for that model. It's an incredibly bad idea. You can either take stuff apart in the wrong order, break something, etc etc, not put all the screws back in, and so on.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/manual.man/manuals.html

There you go. Hang on to it; they're handy. I'd suggest taking each one completely apart and then reassembling it as per the instructions.

If either/both STILL doesn't work you are screwed. However, I'm pretty confident you'll get them working.

Good luck.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    regreg Posts: 832member
    My wife had a problem with her wallstreet, no chime. It turned out to be the internal battery had finally gone. 2 other wallstreets where she works also had their batteries die in the past month so this might also be your problem.

reg
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

http://home.wanadoo.nl/manual.man/manuals.html

There you go. Hang on to it; they're handy. I'd suggest taking each one completely apart and then reassembling it as per the instructions.

If either/both STILL doesn't work you are screwed. However, I'm pretty confident you'll get them working.

Good luck.

Thanks for the link. I was hoping to download it and report back on my progress, but no luck. Can someone else try downloading any of the manuals on this site. They all seem to refere to an Apple ftp site, but it fails to connect.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I confirm the not-workiness of the above "said" manuals.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    That site used to work. While it did, I downloaded nearly every manual from it. If someone needs one, send me a private message or email and we can arrange something over iChat or whatever you like.
  • Reply 10 of 14
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

It's your lucky day.

http://stimuli.ca/Powerbook%20G3%20Series.pdf

Thanks, but I actually need the one for the pismo. I think someone assumed I was messing around with some wallstreets, but Noooo I'm much more stupid than that and decided to tear apart two working pismos.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

this work any better?

http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/manuals.html

YES! I've got the manual. Tomorrow I attempt the fix!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Yep, I'm screwed.

I took them apart and put them back together and no dice. From the manual the only thing I appear to have done wrong the first time was not disconnecting the backup battery and I also disconnected the heat sink from the processor.

The really confusing thing is that I managed to mess up two computers even though I put them back together exactly as they were. I didn't forcibly remove anything, there was no cracking or bending. At least one of the hard drives will spin when I press the power if I put it in either machine. The capslock key lights up, the battery lights up.

Man this is depressing.