G5 TV commercial: Anybody see it?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Lee Ermey isn't dead. He has that show on the History Channel right now. I would love to hear his voice do a really good commercial/tirade for Apple.
  • Reply 42 of 102
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Yes, any voice is better than Jeff Goldblums.

Perhaps Apple is just testing the waters by just using ESPN?
  • Reply 43 of 102
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Yes, any voice is better than Jeff Goldblums.

Perhaps Apple is just testing the waters by just using ESPN?

No, you don't go through all the trouble AND MONEY of creating a commercial just to 'test the waters'

Besides, people have seen it on MTV, and CNBC, and probably others, too.
  • Reply 44 of 102
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Mmm. you are correct. Forgive my stupidity. Just came back from brain killing Calculus.
  • Reply 45 of 102
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    to stir things up...

first really public message about G5...

tomorrow is tho Joznote... and the first public demonstration of the machines...

G5 availability is earlier then expected?

now shipping?

or at least now available to test at the apple stores?

would be nice...

lets see what crops up tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it...
  • Reply 46 of 102
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It did nothing for me...

Memo to Apple: Ditch TBWA/Chiat/Day for another agency like Leo Burnett.
  • Reply 47 of 102
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Thank you. Been saying that for a while now. NONE of their ads have "done anything for me" in a good 2-3 years.

\

Don't know if they have to actually change agencies, but a definite change in overall tone/approach is needed, that's for damn sure.

The one tonight didn't make me cringe or roll my eyes, but it's still lacking and still doesn't do the platform justice.

Why is it that every silly, third-rate fruit drink commercial from every fifth-rung beverage company can hold my interest and make me want to jump in the car and go by a case of their Kiwi-Passionfruit JuiceXtreme or whatever.

But Apple - of ALL people - can't seem to pull together a commercial worth watching more than 2 times. Three tops.

• Reply 48 of 102
    coscos Posts: 99member
    Heres the full ad:

http://homepage.mac.com/freg3000/.Movies/G5.mp4

I'm not sure I get it.

I mean, yes I get it (kindof) I think they're trying to say that its so fast it blew the guy away...

However, after seeing the ad a few more times, I kindof get the feeling that the guy was blown away by the 9 fans that the machine incorporates. Oh well, its nice to see Apple featuring product in their commericals again.

On a side note, anyone notice that the display is the current 23" HD cinema display? Maybe there wont be new displays after all... \

Secondly, the keyboard appears to be the new eMac keyboard. 8)

Thirdly, they strategically move the camera in such a way so that you can 't see a mouse. Could that mean something? Hmmmm... The plot thickens.
  • Reply 49 of 102
    coscos Posts: 99member
    I just noticed something...

If you scroll through the video file very slowly at the end, you can see the camera and lighting crew reflecting in the bottom part of the display's frame.
  • Reply 50 of 102
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    His wife/girlfriend is kinda hot.
  • Reply 51 of 102
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I caught the tail end of this ad twice tonight. Normally I'm able to tell it's an apple commercial so I pay attention. This one was way different than the rest. Definitely more attention grabbing if you're not turned away from the tv (like I was tonight). Could be a good thing or not. :/
  • Reply 52 of 102
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    As I said in another thread, I saw it for the first time on MTV tonight and it caught my attention before I knew it was an Apple ad, and I consider that a good sign. I like it! The G5 looks great in a 'real world' environment, that's for sure. The ad is short and sweet, it couldn't possibly annoy anyone like the Dell ads do, and it's not just a convoluted mess of sales information like the Gateway ads are. Bravo Apple!
  • Reply 53 of 102
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

His wife/girlfriend is kinda hot.

noticed that too. red dress?
  • Reply 54 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by COS

On a side note, anyone notice that the display is the current 23" HD cinema display? Maybe there wont be new displays after all... \

Secondly, the keyboard appears to be the new eMac keyboard. 8)

Thirdly, they strategically move the camera in such a way so that you can 't see a mouse. Could that mean something? Hmmmm... The plot thickens. [/B]

Ya! I noticed that and was about to post that, when I scrolled down and saw you had already... Grr.. Anyways, I will be disappointed a bit if they ship with the new keyboard, as I personally do not like it too much, but also I hope that this means a new mouse... Very much so...
  • Reply 55 of 102
    solfegesolfege Posts: 31member
    My one-word reaction:

"YES!" (imagine hands in the air giving the sing for touchdown).
  • Reply 56 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

to stir things up...

first really public message about G5...

tomorrow is tho Joznote... and the first public demonstration of the machines...

G5 availability is earlier then expected?

now shipping?

or at least now available to test at the apple stores?

would be nice...

lets see what crops up tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it...

Could be.... ingram first had ETA on 15/7/03, now shows 25/07/03.
  • Reply 57 of 102
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The ad is stupid. As usual, no mention of the product name until the very end and some people may not even notice it. Goldblum's voice, I agree, is too weak. Why is Apple still using him even after his voice-over appeared for the dark side?

P.S. Violence is a particularly classy way to sell a computer.... an Arnold movie yes, a computer no. How many 13 year old boys - who love violence in films, have the money to buy a G5?
  • Reply 58 of 102
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

The ad is stupid. As usual, no mention of the product name until the very end and some people may not even notice it. Goldblum's voice, I agree, is too weak. Why is Apple still using him even after his voice-over appeared for the dark side?

It lured me in before I knew what the ad was for. That was the important thing and probably the point - you don't want all the Mac haters turning their heads away from the TV at the beginning of the ad, now do you? As for Jeff, what's the big deal? He has one line at the end. Most people wont' even recognize his voice, but he has set a trend of being the voice in the Apple commercials, so it's just as much a signature 'this is an Apple ad' mark as the Apple logo at the end.

Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

P.S. Violence is a particularly classy way to sell a computer.... an Arnold movie yes, a computer no. How many 13 year old boys - who love violence in films, have the money to buy a G5?

Yes, because as we all know the only people who like violent moviees are thirteen year old boys, so obviously this is the market Apple is targeting with the G5 You've got a pretty loose and bizarre definition of the word 'voilence' my friend, if you can lump this ad into the same category as Arnold movies. I think what's important here is that it's completely different from any ads any other computer company has ever put on TV, and I think that is and should remain Apple's main goal with their TV advertising. If Apple made TV ads that were like what a computer ad is 'supposed' to be like, they'd just be one in the hundreds of Gateway and Dell ads that are run all day, and wouldn't get any attention. Apple's ads get people talking, and that's what matters, I think. I liked the ad. It made me want to own a G5. Of course, I wanted to own a G5 before this ad too, but when I saw it sitting on that desk in all of it's glory at the end of the commercial, I really wanted one
  • Reply 59 of 102
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Jeff Goldblum, definitely.
  • Reply 60 of 102
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Cory,

The concept of "Think Different" was dropped by Apple because it was perceived as elitist by many and because IT DIDN'T WORK. Being different is no guarantee of success - as Apple found out. Apple started losing market share when that campaign began! Yes, I'll agree the G5 ad is different. But who are they going after? Apple wants the corporate buyers don't they? Does this ad appeal to them? I believe that it is silly and wrong-headed. Perhaps I was too harsh on 13 year olds. But kids at this age are not Apple's main target for the G5. We'll just have to agree to disagree.