Microsoft Wins Homeland Security Contract???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft Wins Homeland Security Contract

Jul 15, 5:35 pm ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Department of Homeland Security said on Tuesday it has awarded a five-year, $90 million enterprise agreement to Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) to become the department's primary technology provider.

Under the contract, Microsoft will supply desktop and server software to the newly created department, which has merged parts of 22 different agencies into one entity.

The agreement delivers licensing coverage for about 140,000 desktops and will help the department to establish a common computing environment, Homeland Security said in a statement.

Dell Marketing LP. was selected as the reseller, to provide the day-to-day management of the enterprise agreement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Morons, a mixed computing enviroment is far more secure than any running one OS. One virus could wipe out the whole system. Waste and massive redundancy are the way to a robust system.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Did Apple even bother tendering for the contract...?

Were they invited to tender..?

I still get a kick out of seeing Bowers,et al ( 24hours )all using Macs..Way to go...

Now that is security...

Microsoft security is like very expensive swiss cheese..the more holes it has..the more expensive it becomes to buy.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Oh Hell, we're screwed here in the US now. Hmm, Canada, UK or Aus?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Great. Now we're really fµcked.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    ROTFL. 'Microsoft' and 'security' in the same sentence.

All your base are belong to Al-Quaeda. Seriously.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Come right in Osama!

It's all right, Bill-O is the one in charge of security in this joint.

(Sounds of a really wild party)
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

ROTFL. 'Microsoft' and 'security' in the same sentence.

TOP SECRET: TOP SECRET : TOP SECRET: TOP SECRET : TOP SECRET: TOP SECRET

Microsoft won this contract by demonstrating their supadoopa bomb detector program.

George Bush's pentagon officials...were all most deeply impressed by the complexity of the program..

No wonder they beat all competitors

• Reply 8 of 16
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    My question. How quickly will this Homeland (I hate that term, sounds facist) computer system become a target for hackers, and how quickly will it fall? Anyone want to make a guess?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

My question. How quickly will this Homeland (I hate that term, sounds facist) computer system become a target for hackers, and how quickly will it fall? Anyone want to make a guess?

Hmmmm...tick tick.....about...Ten seconds..

unless Gates secretly subcontracts it out to Apple....
  • Reply 10 of 16
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

I hate that term [homeland security], sounds facist

The New York Times recently pointed out that German equivelant of the term "homeland security" was a catch-phrase in Nazi Germany.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    Quote:

Oh Hell, we're screwed here in the US now. Hmm, Canada, UK or Aus?

Well MI5 use NT amd Unix,

so we might be little better off than you lot, but only a little\
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

The New York Times recently pointed out that German equivelant of the term "homeland security" was a catch-phrase in Nazi Germany.

And then there was this incident (back in 2001)...

Quote:

From The Austin Chronicle:

Land Commissioner David Dewhurst, trying to jump start his campaign for lieutenant governor, advertised his recent appointment as director of the new state Task Force on Homeland Security in Texas Monthly -- and unwittingly featured in his ad a German Luftwaffe officer standing in front of an American flag.

Dewhurst's campaign for governor was successful, BTW.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Is Apple going to take this lying down? They should run a commercial playing somehow upon the fact that the US Army uses Macs because they are more secure. 0 virii on OS X is kind of a nice feature, they don't mention that ever either. Honestly who makes these decisions in the government and why do we pay them to do it.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Who cares, I don't want Fascism to succeed.
  • Reply 15 of 16

The federal government has always been Microsoft's largest client for a while. Really, this was predictable and should not be shocking.

Also, it's not as simple as people in this thread would like to believe. Again, this is really nothing shocking.

AND this should go in general discussion
  • Reply 16 of 16
    If these political discussions were on a higher intellectual level in the first place they wouldn't be degenerate, and actually I don't care, if people want to be passive and what the government run by liars and petty tyrants that is up to them, I am tired of fighting over it. If anyone really cares, Bush's grandfather and great uncle did help to finance the Nazi war machine and many of those in office now are the intellectual and political descendants of their social network. The people in office do not believe in Democracy, I can't understand why anyone has any respect for them, even the Republicans on this board. Members of the CIA are calling for Cheney's resignation. If the ire of a group of people as conservative as CIA agents are is raised, then something is seriously wrong. The term Homeland Security is straight from Nazi Germany or the old Soviet Union, that was the first thing I though when I heard it. Why not American Security? Or U.S. Security? BT