Dreamweaver Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I hope this makes sense to you. If I want my website to have everything centered like apple.com or cnet.com no matter what the resolution is or how much I spread the browser window out...... How would I do this in Dreamweaver MX for OS X.

Thank you very much,

Teddy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    the <CENTER> tag is your friend
  • Reply 2 of 31
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    I think <center> has been deprecated. Encase everything in
    Code:

<div align="center">

STUFF HERE
    Code:

</div>

If you are using DWMX just select every thing (command-a) and click the center justification control on the property inspector, it will write the div tags in the correct place for you.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    I don't think

Code:

<div align="center">XXX</div>

will work if you have a valid doctype declaration in IE5.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    <div style="width=600px:margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;">

content

</div>

• Reply 5 of 31
    teddyteddy Posts: 155member
    I don't think I explained all of it that well. I have frames in my site so when I expand my page the frame stays in the same spot while everything else is centered with the width of the page..... I can't center the frame for some reason.

Thanks

Teddy
  • Reply 6 of 31
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    make a cell...center the cell put ur stufff in there...crewd work around
  • Reply 7 of 31
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Teddy

I have frames in my site...

Originally posted by ast3r3x

make a cell...

Teddy: Do your visitors a favor and get rid of frames in your design. Frames are oudated and obnoxious, mainly because visitors can't bookmark deep URLs, and because of sizing problems like the one you describe. Use a table layout instead of frames!

If you're using frames so that you don't have to have navigation bar code on every page, get cuttin' and pastin' OR learn how to use server side includes (SSI) to dynamically add a nav bar to each page.

Escher

PS: This question belongs in the Genius Bar, not Software.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Use a CSS layout instead of tables!
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by unremarkable

fvck it all and do it in flash.

html is for wankers.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by unremarkable

Big DITTO. Only use tables to make tables (and then think twice before you do) (and only use frames if you have a really good reason to.)
  • Reply 11 of 31
    teddyteddy Posts: 155member
    Thanks for all the imput guys. Honestly I really don't know that much about Web Design so I don't know how to do that stuff but I appreciate you imput. If you go to Apples home page you know how everything stays centered no matter what the size of you screen. I just want to do that and add pictures and such to the site but I have buttons on the side so I don't know how to make a picture center next to them. Sorry for asking more....

Teddy
  • Reply 12 of 31
    i kinda figured that you didn't know too much about web design...

*listen up others*

...so i didn't just comment like 'use css' ()

CSS is the best way to go but you'll have to learn it...if u are serious at all about learning web design i'd go to www.w3schools.com and pick up on it

if you aren't very serious and just playing around and dont plan on it to be used as a business or commercial site then id just make a cell...cente the cell, and put everything you want in that...its not a very clean way of doing it but its easy and it will get the work done for you if you center the cell then

if you dont knw how to make a cell i'll look when i get home and check dreamweaver for you...i havn't done it in a while so i dont remember

i think cell is what i want...but frames are bad if u want to use ur site seriously

ok i may have confused you and others so ask questions if i have, i suck at explaining things
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

fvck it all and do it in flash.

html is for wankers.

i have a question about flash so i dont have to make a new thread i'll post here...

i want to make a button that fades to the active position...how do i do this? i know regular buttons only have 4 frames....is there a way to add more, or do i use a movie clip with an activation for it to start playing on click...help me!

...oh yeah please
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:

i have a question about flash so i dont have to make a new thread i'll post here...

i want to make a button that fades to the active position...how do i do this? i know regular buttons only have 4 frames....is there a way to add more, or do i use a movie clip with an activation for it to start playing on click...help me!

...oh yeah please

several ways you might want to go about this spring to mind:

option A

place a movie clip into the first frame of your button with the fade animation in it. don't forget your stop actions or it's off to loopsville.

option B

instead of using a button, create a movie clip with all your various states placed on the time line and defined and seperated by frame labels. then just contol your mc from an invisible button(s) using actionscript.

option B is the way i'd go. it's a little more complicated, but it will give you more control in the long run.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    k i'll try that adn ask if i haev questions...hahau wouldn't happen to have IM so i could ask u in real time questions could you? (if not its cool since you might not want to be bothered)
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

the <CENTER> tag is your friend

Wow. 1996 called. They want their HTML tag back.

Moving to barra del genio...
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

k i'll try that adn ask if i haev questions...hahau wouldn't happen to have IM so i could ask u in real time questions could you? (if not its cool since you might not want to be bothered)

sure dude, no problem.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Wow. 1996 called. They want their HTML tag back.

Moving to barra del genio...

well, i was debating whether to post HTML or RTFM.

Dreamweaver MX has an excellent Help system, includes a Reference panel with copious text from O'Reilly's HTML, Javascript, and CSS books built in for free, a Guided Tour that highlights and cirlces the Property Inspector's justification buttons, and manuals that explain how to do it.

suggesting a search in any of those places for the word "center" seemed a bit facetious and patronizing.

but yes, deprecated tags are not the best choice.

frames are also an undesirable choice given the inability of Search Engines to scan them properly

don't expect frames pages to rank well in any index

keep it simple (less to debug)
  • Reply 19 of 31
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

frames are also an undesirable choice given the inability of Search Engines to scan them properly

don't expect frames pages to rank well in any index

Also search engines sometimes end up listing just one of the frames, so if some clicks on that link they end up missing content. Of course there is JavaScript out there that can detect if the pages in a frame, but then there has to be different version of the for different browsers...ugh. Web Standards are the future.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    I think it is amusing that someone has asked for help doing something so presumably simple as "centering" something in a WYSIWYG editor, and most of us are posting raw code in the thread to solve the problem