Energy saver wake up problems with screen

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've only just got hold of my brand new Desktop G4 1.25 with 20" Apple flat screen monitor. Although I'm not familiar with OSX yet (I'm running 10.2.6) there's obviously a problem.

When the screen goes to 'sleep' with an application running in the background - like iTunes for example, when I wake it up the screen looks as it should do.

If however there aren't any applications running and the CPU powers down as well (so both Mac + screen are asleep) when I touch the mouse or keyboard to wake them up, the screen goes very strange, looking all pixilated, then a couple of seconds later, totally jumbled and even more pixilated. This can be cleared with a restart. I've tried adjusting the 'sleep' times, reloading the system software and run the Apple Hardware Test disc, but these haven't made any difference.

I hope this rather non-technical description makes sense to someone out there in 'Mac-land' - Although I've loved using Macs for the past 15 years I've never been very hot on the technical side - so be gentle with me!

OK... I know it's under warranty, but neither the dealer or Apple can come up much with any solution to my problem as yet and I don't particularly want to send the machine back to Apple unless I can avoid it.

Help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Boo Hiss!

Well... the above has been posted a couple of days now and no one seems to be able to help!

Not to worry - Apple are accepting the beast back so hopefully I won't have the same trouble again.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    In case anyone is interested it was a faulty video card.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Wow. Never would have guessed. Somethign like that happened to my Grandpa once a few months ago. The screen shuts off about 1 minute after the computer wakes up. Not much of a problem since he just increases the brightness and everything works again.