Multiple processors

pbpb
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Macbidouille posted this very interesting detail. Someone, discovered in a file named "AppleSystemInfo.strings" (in Panther) the following:

// String used to describe a dual processor configuration.

//

// IMPORTANT: Make sure the right hand side value contains the substring "%@".

// "%@" will get replaced by the processor speed and type string

// (e.g. "800 MHz PowerPC G3").

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"2xCPUFormat" = "Dual %@";

// String used to describe a triple processor configuration.

//

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"3xCPUFormat" = "3 x %@";

// String used to describe a quadruple processor configuration.

//

"4xCPUFormat" = "4 x %@";

// String used to describe a N processor configuration where N > 2.

//

// IMPORTANT: Make sure the right hand side value contains the substrings "%1$d"

// and "%2$@". "%1$d" will get replaced by the number of processors (e.g. "4"),

// and "%2$@" will get replaced by the processor speed and type string

"NxCPUFormat" = "%1$d x %2$@";

Can anyone confirm?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    OK, one more thing.

// String used to format RAM description, when there is more than 1 TB of

RAM.

"RAMInTB" = "%.*f TB";

// String used to format RAM description, when there is more than 1 PB of

RAM.

"RAMInPB" = "%.*f PB";

// String used to format RAM description, when there is more than 1 EB of

RAM.

"RAMInEB" = "%.*f EB";

Now, where you could physically install this tera- or peta- or exa- bytes of RAM, is another question.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Confirmed.

Located at:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings
  • Reply 3 of 25
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Nice to see them planning ahead!

I don't think we're going to be seeing exabyte systems anytime soon...
  • Reply 4 of 25
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

No exabyte systems in the near future?!? WEAK!!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Confirmed.

So, would be safe to assume that in the time frame of 1-2 years from now, we will see something much bigger than usual from...Apple?
  • Reply 6 of 25
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I'm holding out for Yottabyte RAM chips anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    I think it was on apple's site where they said that 64 bits can address exobytes worth of memory.

2.3 Exobytes according to my calculations
  • Reply 9 of 25
    jwthompjwthomp Posts: 7member
    Hmm, very interesting. I'm guessing we'll see this sort of mega processor box in the Xserves. Wonder if they will be able to keep it in a 1U box tho..

No more Starfires, its time for MacFire! If you've never heard of Starfire servers, you should look them up. These are EXTREMELY expensive systems that Sun could not make fast enough. The back order was crazy. Lots of Swiss banks and the like were clamoring for them. Kinda fun to build code on them.

Cheers!

Jeff
  • Reply 10 of 25
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    If OS X really does support triple processor configurations, then Apple needs to come out with a triple processor machine. Mac these days are too much like PCs. They need to be stranger and more exotic. A triple processor G5 would be a step in the right direction.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Code Master

2.3 Exobytes according to my calculations

My calculator says 18.45EB ( 2^64/10^18 ) .
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

My calculator says 18.45EB ( 2^64/10^18 ) .

Due to the weird way we calculate things (1024 vs 1000), it's an even 16EB.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Due to the weird way we calculate things (1024 vs 1000), it's an even 16EB.

I missed that. You are correct, it is exactly 16EB ( 2^64/1024^6 ) .
  • Reply 14 of 25
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I missed that. You are correct, it is exactly 16EB ( 2^64/1024^6 ) .

Actually it's exactly 16EiB or ~18.45 EB.
  • Reply 15 of 25

Look at Macbidouille again today. They post now rumors with more concrete info. They say that Apple is going to make systems with up to 64 processors .The project is named internally as Dark Star. Each CPU will have 4 memory slots and the 64 CPU configuration will be maxed at 1TB memory. It will be also possible to use many ATI cards in parallel (note by me: is that possible or total nonsense?) for outstanding graphics performance. They also say that prototypes with 8, 16, 32 and 64 CPUs already exist and that these models will ship by the end of the year with prices ranging from 10000 to 50000$.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Ooops, I was addressing bit wise, not byte wise.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

that does it... IM NOT Buying a mac

until they make one out of UnObtanium

Why the next thing you they'll be saying you dont need

more than 640 Petabytes of ram

• Reply 19 of 25
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

It will be also possible to use many ATI cards in parallel (note by me: is that possible or total nonsense?) for outstanding graphics performance.

ATI just made an agreement with SGI to offer something similar.

Don't expect to see Apple release a 64 processor system for $50 000 though. Don't even expect an 8 processor system for $10 000.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Actually it's exactly 16EiB or ~18.45 EB.

What's an EiB?