Removing OS9 from 10.2 system?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello. Excuse me if this question is a repeat....

but, now that I've no need for OS9 (yes!)....can I simply trash my OS9 system folder?

Are there other considerations for 9 removal?

Thanx for any suggestions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Yup, that's all there is to it.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by user_23

Hello. Excuse me if this question is a repeat....

but, now that I've no need for OS9 (yes!)....can I simply trash my OS9 system folder?

Are there other considerations for 9 removal?

Thanx for any suggestions.

Wow your brave..

That's a bit like leaving your reserve parachute behind...

Oh well..hope your OS-X bungy rope is still working ?8)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    You can remove /System/Library/CoreServices/Classic Startup and save 20.6 mb.

If you really want to go all out, you can remove the Classic Preference pane from /System/Library/PreferencePanes.

It'll save you a whopping 200k!

CV
  • Reply 4 of 11
    user_23user_23 Posts: 46member
    Brave? <grin> No, just finally glad to leave OS9 in the dust.

As a pro graphic designer....thinking back upon the years & years of Quark locking up my whole system....photoshop crashing due to weird memory issues, ad infinitum/nasaeum....I just don't want to have the slightest reminder of what I can only call "hell" left on my Mac. Sheesh...already I can feel my bile rising just at the thought of my whole system (os 9) being stalled while I output color to some proofing device...or, for that matter, ANY task (practically).

With Quark 6, Illustrator 10, Photoshop 7, InDesign 2, Acrobat 6 Pro, OS X's built in PDF support....damn, what more could a Designer-type need?

sorry for my little tirade, & thank you all for your extremely friendly advice.

cheers!

user_23
  • Reply 5 of 11
    user_23user_23 Posts: 46member
    <grin>

Removing the Classic Pref Pane has made my system twice as snappy!

thanx again for the advice!

user-23
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I also tried to do this but I cant delete the OS 9 system folder even as the root user...

What should I do?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shanksta

I also tried to do this but I cant delete the OS 9 system folder even as the root user...

What should I do?

<heh heh>Boot off an OS 9 System CD and trash it</heh heh>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    shankstashanksta Posts: 96member
    I dont have an OS 9 cd...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by user_23

With Quark 6, Illustrator 10, Photoshop 7, InDesign 2, Acrobat 6 Pro, OS X's built in PDF support....damn, what more could a Designer-type need?

Panther's FontBook. Yum.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Panther's FontBook. Yum.

is this why Adobe didn't bother with a font manager? Did Apple give a some sorta heads up that they were planning on making a font manager built into the OS? Does this mean the end of Suitcase/Font Reserve/Fontagent Pro?

things I have been wondering
  • Reply 11 of 11
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    I don't see why Adobe would even want to compete with Extensis' offerings. Suitcase is an amazing program, hopefully FontBook in Panther is an adequate substitution. Although from what I hear it has no server access functionality, not that I need it, but still, bad on apples part.