Potential confirmation of BT Mice/Keyboards in Panther

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
For those running the panther preview...

Check out /System/Library/CoreServices/BezelUI/Images/

These are the png files the os uses to show the bezel stuff, changing volume, etcera, but there are new ones there -

kbdConnect.png

kbdDisconnect.png

mouseConnect.png

mouseDisconnect.png

Seems to point directly to having keyboard and mouse that can be connected and disconnected - says bluetooth to me, what do you all think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ryyoryyo Posts: 19member
    Ooooh, nice one!

The plot thickens! Are the images there? If so, will you post them?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    is this diffent then the stuff they added in 10.2.5 or .6 to support micrisoft bluetooth stuff?

• Reply 3 of 12
    chopper3chopper3 Posts: 293member
    will someone post them please
  • Reply 4 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by splatcollision

Seems to point directly to having keyboard and mouse that can be connected and disconnected - says bluetooth to me, what do you all think?

Umm, the current keyboard and mouse can be connected and disconnected. Am I missing something?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Umm, the current keyboard and mouse can be connected and disconnected. Am I missing something?

Well, I probably should have been more clear - the images are just stand-ins - They just say "Mouse Connected Image" and "Keyboard Connected Image", with text on the rounded square shape that all the bezel images use. That's why they caught my attention. Of course any current wired mouse/keyboard can be disconnected, but why would you need any particular visual feedback/notification that you just unplugged or plugged in something, when you probably just did it yourself? With BT, it's not as obvious that the connection was made...

I'll see about posting them, becuase they are stand-ins, there's nothing really to see...

Also, checking on Jaguar from home, the BezelUI folder isn't in CoreServices like in Panther, in fact, I can't find any reference to those files or that folder at all in my Jag system folder.

(also found how to change the label names in panther, should that get a new topic? Haven't found how to change the colors though...)
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    This bodes well for OS X's user interface. With all external ports now hot-swapable, it's sensible to provide visible feedback when a device is connected or unconnected. Perhaps a picture for every type of peripheral and a badge indicating the peripheral's status change.

Yet so far, the evidence points to a less abstracted scheme. Certainly, feedback would be most useful for wireless peripherals. Yet, the place holder names in themselves don't lead me to suspect BT mice.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    True, it's possible this does not necessarily confirm the connection will be bluetooth, but i've a hard time thinking of what else it could be... Any suggestions would be great.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    ryyoryyo Posts: 19member
    BT or not, at least it's better than winXP's

"New USB connection: Human Interface Device"

Yeah, those of us who dont have windows on the brain call that A MOUSE.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by splatcollision

True, it's possible this does not necessarily confirm the connection will be bluetooth, but i've a hard time thinking of what else it could be... Any suggestions would be great.

It could simply be an alert that the mouse and keyboard are disconnected and/or actually connected and recognized, like how the eject bezel icon confirms the action. Imagine scenarios where the mouse accidentally becomes disconnected, or where a user can't necessarily tell if the USB plug is in all the way, or the mouse doesn't seem to be working. This would alert the user that the computer can't "see" a mouse or whatever.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ryyo

BT or not, at least it's better than winXP's

"New USB connection: Human Interface Device"

Yeah, those of us who dont have windows on the brain call that A MOUSE.

heh...but it says that for all HID's ()

the odd thing is that it tells u an apple mouse is connected if you connect one but they couldn't figure to make it say that...go figure
  • Reply 11 of 12
    yomofoyomofo Posts: 35member
    Who wants to bet a bluetooth Apple mouse will use the 3rd generation iPod dock with its proprietary connector? That way, Apple only has to manufacture one dock, and if you already have one for the iPod you now have two!

if no dock, I think the keyboard would attach to a firewire 400 plug (either plugged in to your machine or your wall [when your computer is off] with the same firewire power adapter that came with the original iPod) and the mouse will have a way to attach directly to the keyboard (magnets with magnetic field recharging, male-female port mating, etc) to save a cable.

how else could they do it?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Can someone post the images for those still on Puma (or Jaguar )?