Recovering deleted data...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I understand that normally when you throw something into the trash, it is in reality on taken off the directory and that it usually still exists somewhere on the hard drive - at least until that space is needed for new data.

Is there anyway to search deleted files in OSX?

Basically, I deleted a mail a couple of weeks ago and now it turns out that particular email can save my job (long story...).

Can anybody give me information or advise on how to see if it still may be in the drive somewhere...

My job is on the line here, so please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- Patrick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbjudge

Basically, I deleted a mail a couple of weeks ago and now it turns out that particular email can save my job (long story...).

Well, pony up the story while we wait for answers

I know Norton has an undelete tool, and there is a new version out, so cross your fingers. I do not believe anything exists by default in Mac OS X. however.

One thing to note is that, for instance, if that email was in, say, Entourage, I do not believe you could recover it. Entourage has a single database, which itself is one large file on the hard drive. Deleting something from within that database is a rather permanent action, and is therefore not as simple as trying to 'unflag' a file that has already been flagged as being able to be deleted.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    The probability of recovering a file that was deleted weeks ago isn't good.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    You could get the person that sent it to look in their "sent Items" folder to see if they still have a copy.

Or

If you replied to the message and included it in your reply, you might also find it in your sent items.

G