Apple G5 PRO Keyboard & PRO Mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple store lists hardware that comes with the G5:

Apple Pro Keyboard, Apple Pro Mouse.

Search on the site only shows Apple Mouse & Apple Keyboard.

Looks like they ship with the new items that have not been shown yet.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....2.1.2.0.0.1.0

Apple Keyboard $49.00

The Apple Keyboard is the perfect complement to your USB-equipped Mac. Click the Learn More for important information.

Learn more about this product

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...1.0.5.11.1.0.1

Apple Mouse $49.00

Apple's digital optical mouse--built for speed and with a fluid elliptical shape for easy handling.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....5.0.5.7.2.1.1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    It would actually make a lot of sense if they did ship with a different mouse and keyboard. The "pro" was dropped from the current kb/mouse just recently. At the time, the move didn't make a whole lot of sense (why change the name without changing the product?) but it looks like the "pro" is being reserved for the really pro stuff.... At least I hope.

Good find.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    maxcom29maxcom29 Posts: 44member
    Maybe it'll be a two button mouse to fully take advantage of "expose." Steve Jobs did say one could assign an expose function to the second button on a two button mouse, if one had such a mouse.

I'm sure Jobs doesn't want users to buy a kensignton mouse just to use "expose" properly.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    old news.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I just checked it again and this is listed in the sidebar for the dual 2's G5

Summary

? Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5

? 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256

? 160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

? ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

? 56k V.92 internal modem

? SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

? Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English

? Mac OS X - U.S. English

Subtotal $2,999.00
  • Reply 5 of 35
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Not to mention, the eMac's keyboard is used in the new G5 commercial.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Sorry to be a pessimist, but I doubt that new displays and new keyboards will be realeased independently from the G5. I'm expecting new displays/G5s in late January.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Another reason they'd need to update their mice, keyboards and displays is that they only have USB 1.1 hubs in them. Unless for some reason a USB 2.0 hub is impossible.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Anodized Alu (or lookalike material) Pro Mouse and Keyboard, where the keyboard also have the blue illumination when it gets dark, like the 17" TiBook.

PLEASE!
  • Reply 9 of 35
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

Anodized Alu (or lookalike material) Pro Mouse and Keyboard, where the keyboard also have the blue illumination when it gets dark, like the 17" TiBook.

PLEASE!

i want blue backlit keyboard too but i just can't imagine aluminum being used without it looking tacky...i'm sure apple could pull it off but it just doesn't seem like it would look good
  • Reply 10 of 35
    zoozx27zoozx27 Posts: 88member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

I just checked it again and this is listed in the sidebar for the dual 2's G5

Summary

? Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5

? 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256

? 160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

? ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

? 56k V.92 internal modem

? SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

? Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English

? Mac OS X - U.S. English

Subtotal $2,999.00

Not true the side bar here:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....2.1.2.0.0.1.0

On the right under hardware accesories: Apple PRO Keyboard and Apple PRO mouse.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    I actually just got the new keyboard today (decided to get one to go with my PowerBook). I dig it. It's pretty solid, compact, and fairly stylish. The space bar comes detached (I assume it's supposed to) and just clicks in. I used the two USB ports on the back for my Kensington flylight and my mouse.

The space bar kinda has this funky, see-saw kinda thing going on. You have to press near the middle to get the space tho, but maybe I just need to break it in. I think it's a pretty good value. Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    At Macworld they had the regular keyboard and regular mouse for the G5
  • Reply 13 of 35
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

The space bar comes detached (I assume it's supposed to) and just clicks in.

The space bar kinda has this funky, see-saw kinda thing going on. You have to press near the middle to get the space tho, but maybe I just need to break it in.

I hope that was a joke.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    I gotta buy a new keyboard, cuz I spilled water on my black key one the other day : The only thing i don't like about the new white ones is they look like they will get dirty real fast, judging from one we have here at work \ or maybe that person just has dirty fingers all the time
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

I hope that was a joke.

lol...well kinda. It's not really see-sawing...just very springy. Does anyone else notice this too? I don't think it's broken, but the space bar is definitely "softer" for lack of a better word.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Ast3r3x hells yea they could pull it off. You know how the kids are these days with their hot Euro import cars have underneath lighting, and the stereo ("system") panel is all lit up and so are the car controls. HP and Dell laptops also sport this lighting around keys, looks snazzy at night but kind of annoying after 5 seconds. Apple could pull this off, I can DEFINITELY see my 12" with lighting like the 17" but snazzier and an external keyboard for it with jazzy lighting also. HELLS YEA. Optical lighting sensors would be nice but I dunno how much that'd add to the cost, the 17" is wicked..expensive.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

I gotta buy a new keyboard, cuz I spilled water on my black key one the other day : The only thing i don't like about the new white ones is they look like they will get dirty real fast, judging from one we have here at work \ or maybe that person just has dirty fingers all the time

They get looking dirty pretty fast, now don't they? At least you know when to clean it.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    they could do "aluminum colored" mice and keyboards by painting the inside of clear plastic pieces, like the iBook outer plastic shell... maybe a good idea?
  • Reply 19 of 35
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I would like to see them change the color of the keys on the keyboard and the color of the mouse at a bare minimum.

I doubt that even that minor change will hapen.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    The Pro Kbd/Mouse is dead.

The G5 devnote says that it comes with an Apple Kbd/Mouse, non-Pro.

There is no uncertainty about this, anywhere you see "Pro" is a typo.

Barto