The Paris Expo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    ryyoryyo Posts: 19member
    Okay, we understand that key lime was never a serious rumor. Though it would be sort of interesting...

Anyway, I think the Paris expo is a good guess: Apple's current Edu promotions of $$$ back when purchasing a PB and iPod (which I plan to take advantage of promptly! ) are also scheduled to end in september: the dates corrolate nicely.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Guys I was JOKING. Can we not have "key lime" dominate the entire thread? There is no key lime, there was no "e-mail from a friend", etc.

Mmmmmmm.... key lime pie!

• Reply 23 of 46
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Guys I was JOKING. Can we not have "key lime" dominate the entire thread? There is no key lime, there was no "e-mail from a friend", etc.

\

One silly, throwaway comment...

i was just impressed by how well everyone went along with ur idea...as if the didnt give it away u were joking haha
  • Reply 24 of 46
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Happens ALL the time here. I guess I carry so much authority and wisdom, that even my goofy, joking posts are looked at as "hey, key lime PowerBooks!"

BTW, I'm COMPLETELY joking about that whole "authority and wisdom" stuff...I'm the biggest know-nothing doofus going.

• Reply 25 of 46
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Key Lime pie is my favorite. I've only discovered in the past 2 years though. think of all those years i missed out on more pie/.\
  • Reply 26 of 46
    omekomek Posts: 43member
    mmmmmm... pie....
  • Reply 27 of 46
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

Key Lime pie is my favorite. I've only discovered in the past 2 years though. think of all those years i missed out on more pie/.\

i've honsetly never have it...anyone want to send me some to try? (without poison or heroin in it?)

heck i can't remember even seeing it around here ever...i guess us folk in amish country are just simple and stick to chocolate ; )
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:

too late!

besides, no use trying to cover it up now. the secret is out. we'll see it on page 2 any minute now...
  • Reply 29 of 46
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Although it's pretty obvious that we're waiting on Moto for the 7457s, I now think Steve's plan doesn't allow for any hardware updates until the September timeframe anyway. Steve doesn't want any other model of Mac to compete with the G5s until they have been shipping for a while. Once you can just walk in to any Mac retailer and take home a G5, then we'll see 7457 based PBs and iMacs.

Good Lord, I hope you're not right. I've been waiting for over three months to replace my iBook with a refreshed Aluminum 15" PB, and can't wait two months more (as school starts in early Sept).

I don't know. What you say makes sense up to a point, but... Would a new 15" PB model really compete with a G5? Are people who have been waiting three years for the G5 lose it at the last minute and buy an updated 15" PB for a few hundred dollars less? I'm not so sure.

Sigh. I hate playing the waiting game, but I'll be damned if I buy a 15" PB now and have it updated with a lighted keyboard, faster chip, and all the other goodies two weeks later.

Anyway. Paris Expo. iTunes for Windows -- if it's ready -- would make quite a splash. If not... announcement of Panther release date, perhaps? Another Panther demo, with a few new features (e.g. opening basic .doc files w/ TextEdit)?
  • Reply 30 of 46
    But, will my new Powerbook come with matching pie?

That'd move 'em fast.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    does anyone know when exactly is the paris expo ?
  • Reply 32 of 46
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snort bucket

does anyone know when exactly is the paris expo ?

September 16-20
  • Reply 33 of 46
    thanks ! realised too late that it's on the apple web site
  • Reply 34 of 46
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Would a new 15" PB model really compete with a G5? Are people who have been waiting three years for the G5 lose it at the last minute and buy an updated 15" PB for a few hundred dollars less? I'm not so sure.

That's the situation I'm in. I'm a devoted TiBook user, but even my nine month old 1 GHz is a little sluggish on my big media apps. I'd love a new 15" with a 7457 and a better graphics card, but can I wait two more months?

I'm not a tower guy at all, but the G5s are such a huge leap in performance that I am forced to consider one. I don't know how many others are in this position, but I think there are enough to warrant Apple making the G5 the "only game in town" this summer.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Delphiki

Is iChat AV really an EDU selling point? I can't say that'd effect my purchase plans, though they are cool, and I don't know many (if any) students who would change their plans according to that.

Little Johnny or Susie goes off to college and they can make FREE video phone calls to home? This is a parent's dream. The savings in long distance bills alone would pay for the whole setup.

I expect iSight/iChat AV to be the cornerstone of Apple's back to school ad campaign.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    mclaptopmclaptop Posts: 12member
    Okay folks - so what do you think are the chances of new powerbook models BEFORE paris expo?

or am i talking pecan pie?

\
  • Reply 37 of 46
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    One thing I think we'll see at or before Paris expo is G5 XServes.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    formatc2formatc2 Posts: 176member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Delphiki

Is iChat AV really an EDU selling point?

Ever heard of Distance Education? If Apple can make iChat AV multiuser, like a modern DE classroom, it will change the face of education. Imagine attending and participating in a class from home! Found on the web:

• Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Little Johnny or Susie goes off to college and they can make FREE video phone calls to home? This is a parent's dream. The savings in long distance bills alone would pay for the whole setup.

I expect iSight/iChat AV to be the cornerstone of Apple's back to school ad campaign.

Sure, except for the broadband connection at home, the tuition subsidized connection at school, and the $300+tax outlay on 2 iSight cameras, it's 'free'.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Sure, except for the broadband connection at home, the tuition subsidized connection at school, and the $300+tax outlay on 2 iSight cameras, it's 'free'.

Of course there are costs associated with it. The fact that the video conferencing itself is free is what justifies purchasing the necessary infrastructure. That's the whole point.

The broadband connections are assumed. $300 for two iSights in exchange for four years of free video conferencing? It's a no brainer.